Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my March build Ti Q2 on 24 June. Since that time the car has been in the shop for a total of 17 days. I've had enough, I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully negotiated a buyback with Fiat Chrysler. Thanks and I look forward to any tips or information on the process you can provide.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am sorry you have had this trouble. I would start by asking Alfa Cares here on this forum. However, I am not expecting them to resolve this for you if they haven't already. As for the buyback process, I think you will have to have a lawyer use the lemon laws to force your case. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Greg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry you have had this trouble. I would start by asking Alfa Cares here on this forum. However, I am not expecting them to resolve this for you if they haven't already. As for the buyback process, I think you will have to have a lawyer use the lemon laws to force your case. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Greg
Thank you for your response, I've been in touch with Alfa Cares previously and while they were very helpful that didn't translate to the dealer level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took delivery of my March build Ti Q2 on 24 June. Since that time the car has been in the shop for a total of 17 days. I've had enough, I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully negotiated a buyback with Fiat Chrysler. Thanks and I look forward to any tips or information on the process you can provide.

Greg

I have been a lurker here for a month or so, this is the first place where I think I can be of some help.

You have to call Alfa Premium care and open a star case. Explain to them what your issues have been and how long you have been without your vehicle. You need to be very specific with them by telling them the only solution your are interested in is a buy back (or car replacement). It would be helpful if any of your issues are safety related like engine shutdowns etc....

They will not be very quick to get you a solution, you need to be persistent. If you don't get anywhere after a few weeks you should send a stern but polite email to Reid Bigland telling your story and demanding a refund ([email protected]). A few days later someone from the executive customer relations team will contact you. Only at that point will you be talking to someone who can get you some resolution.

I went through this a few months ago, I was having an engine shut down problem they could not diagnose.

This is exactly what I did, I opted for a new car not a buyback but I had the option offered if I wanted. I am currently waiting for my 2018 Quad. They have provided a 2017 Ti for me to drive until it arrives.

They should pay you back what you paid, plus any accessories like window tint, stereo equipment and dealer fees. They will try and negotiate a mileage usage fee but you can argue that with them. Be sure to have your original bill of sale, loan info if financed and receipts ready to send, this will expedite the process. It would also be helpful if you can get the service manager from your dealership to advocate on your behalf.

My 2 cents is that for the money you can't get a better vehicle, I have faith that the second production year will be free from a lot of the "growing pains". Alfa assured me that I would be 100% satisfied with my replacement.

If you have real issues you do not need a lawyer and lemon laws. The last thing they want are lemon law claims that are public.

Hopes this helps

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roberto, thank you very much, exactly the type of info I was looking for. Just got off the phone with Alfa Cares and now have a open case.

·
Banned
264 Posts
Roberto, thank you very much, exactly the type of info I was looking for. Just got off the phone with Alfa Cares and now have a open case.
Dont take legal advice from internet lawyers...look at your states lemon law website....most states (if not all) have fee shifting provisions which provide for fee shifting if you prevail....that means the manufacture pays your legal fees...why no have an experienced attorney working for you at no cost?

·
Banned
264 Posts
Because lawyers act like lawyers. Other than getting the other side's attention when they ignore you, they just get in the way.
That makes no sense...you need expertise in this area of the law...if you think they are just going to simply hand you a new car, you are delusional....the lawyer is free...and getting attention asap is exactly what you need when you are having serious issues....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If Santos found an equitable resolution, why not follow his recipe ?
Seems like he got what he wanted and managed to swing a loaner in the meantime...
The salient point is getting the dealer to advocate on your behalf.....D :wink2:

·
Registered
420 Posts
That makes no sense...you need expertise in this area of the law...if you think they are just going to simply hand you a new car, you are delusional....the lawyer is free...and getting attention asap is exactly what you need when you are having serious issues....
It makes complete sense, which is why mediation is replacing litigation.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Seems like he got what he wanted and managed to swing a loaner in the meantime...
The salient point is getting the dealer to advocate on your behalf.....D :wink2:
Because Alfa908 rebuts everything anyone says.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dont take legal advice from internet lawyers...look at your states lemon law website....most states (if not all) have fee shifting provisions which provide for fee shifting if you prevail....that means the manufacture pays your legal fees...why no have an experienced attorney working for you at no cost?

I am not an internet lawyer, I am an owner of a Quad that had an unfortunate issue. I simply posted exactly what I did that resulted in being offered a full refund including all after market accessories and dealer fees or a brand new 2018 replacement of my car. The process from first contact with premium support to settlement took 3 weeks. I didn't have to take time off to meet with lawyers and arbtitrators etc.

Once you file a lemon law case it is out of the hands of FCA and they no longer have any vested interest in making you happy.

Lemon law cases can drag on for months and your settlement is in the hands of the arbitrator, it should be a last resort. I can assure you whatever settlement is agreed on by the lemon law process will not be as good.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am not an internet lawyer, I am an owner of a Quad that had an unfortunate issue. I simply posted exactly what I did that resulted in being offered a full refund including all after market accessories and dealer fees or a brand new 2018 replacement of my car. The process from first contact with premium support to settlement took 3 weeks. I didn't have to take time off to meet with lawyers and arbtitrators etc.

Once you file a lemon law case it is out of the hands of FCA and they no longer have any vested interest in making you happy.

Lemon law cases can drag on for months and your settlement is in the hands of the arbitrator, it should be a last resort. I can assure you whatever settlement is agreed on by the lemon law process will not be as good.
I went through that process back in year 2000, and Robert Santos is correct that the process takes a long time with no guarantee of success. I lost my case because the arbitrator ruled that the car had been manufactured exactly as the manufacturer had designed it, even though it was nearly undriveable because of a throttle control issue. It took me 1.5 years to figure out the problem and make a fix for it. I still own the car as a backup to my QV.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Been There Already

EXACTLY what he said ^^^^^[email protected] if you have any questions about the process I will help you with what I went through..shoot me a PM if you want. FYI (as I have posted on this Forum) my situation was remedied 100% without the buy back....BUT the buy-back was in place...and I called it off in the final hour....
Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction

·
Banned
264 Posts
Because the facts in OP's case are not the same as with Santos....Santos resolution also took longer than it should. If you can have representation for FREE, and expert advice, you have to be silly not to. You dont need any dealer advocacy if the car is in fact defective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The salient point is getting the dealer to advocate on your behalf.....D
Because the facts in OP's case are not the same as with Santos....Santos resolution also took longer than it should. If you can have representation for FREE, and expert advice, you have to be silly not to. You dont need any dealer advocacy if the car is in fact defective.
The minute you hire a lawyer or get legal representation FCA engages their legal team and you are no longer dealing with anyone that cares about your satisfaction. At that point their lawyers (who are a lot better than yours) only job is to get the best settlement for FCA. And now it will be months before any type of resolution and up to a non biased arbitrator.

If you think from first report to 3 weeks being offered an acceptable settlement is too long then you have no clue what your talking about. My brother had a lemon law claim 2 years ago, he is the managing partner of a 500 lawyer law firm in Boston and it took him 6 months to settle and his outcome was no where near mine and included discounts for mileage and usage.

He advised me how to handle my claim from what he learned during his debacle, and it worked perfectly . The only true statement you made is that it will be more difficult For FCA to settle if it's not a safety or operational issue.

In regards to getting your dealer to advocate for you, that in itself will not get them to settle but it certainly does not hurt

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
1 - 20 of 77 Posts