1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
526 Posts
Actually BMW built some really nice sports cars in the 30's and 60's thru today. The micro cars where in the 50's after the allied bombings flattened their factories in the 40's.

Another great review though...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Actually BMW built some really nice sports cars in the 30's and 60's thru today. The micro cars where in the 50's after the allied bombings flattened their factories in the 40's.

Another great review though...
Here is 328 from 30s, 2 liter straight six on Mille Miglia....I am old enough that i have seen one or two pretty beat up Isettas when I was a little kid growing up in Europe, by then 1600 and 2002 appeared

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
52 Posts
A great review, but let's keep in mind..

That was a great article on the QV. AR has done all of this for the first model year. So what if the trim isn't exactly what everyone else has been doing? These cars will only get BETTER and that is what BMW and the others should be afraid of.

Hopefully soon I will join the ranks of proud owners, though unfortunately not a QV.
--Alan

·
Registered
580 Posts
BMW has built some decent stuff. My point is that sporting vehicles and especially sports sedans are Alfa's game, and they have been trouncing BMW at this for a long time.

The 1930's BMW's in the Mille Miglia have been mentioned. Let's looks at those results.

Alfa Romeo won the Mille Miglia, every year in the 1930s except 1939, when the race was canceled due to World War 2, and in 1932 when a Mercedes SSK won. In the 24 years, the Mille Miglia was run as an actual race Alfa Romeo won it 11 times. Ferrari won 8 times, Mercedes twice, and BMW only once.

Greg

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,601 Posts
Here is 328 from 30s, 2 liter straight six on Mille Miglia....I am old enough that i have seen one or two pretty beat up Isettas when I was a little kid growing up in Europe, by then 1600 and 2002 appeared
But that 328 is a sports/race car, not a sports sedan (4 doors and seating for at least 4).

Big cars with big engines have been around from nearly the start as well as small cars with barely enough power to move forward. Sports cars (make the car as small as possible with as big an engine as possible) have been around since at least the 1920s. Big engines pre-WWII were a symbol of wealth: I can afford this impractical machine and you can't. When did a small nimble *sedan* with "generous" power (relative to other vehicles of the day) happen and who created it?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Alfa & BMW can play in the same sandbox

BMW made sports sedans as well...started with the Neue-Klasse 1500 then the big dog was the 1800 TiSA (rare bird) version...
I had a 1970 2000 Tii LUX in Italy that I had inherited and it was a blast to drive...after I wedged it out of the lean too and fixed it up...
The 328 was derived from the 319, it was purpose built think of homologation special (400+ units)
Alfa for certain has a deeper racing history linked to F1, Sports Cars etc....as they started well before BMW....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think that the Giulia is so much better than the 3 series, I didn't even consider BMW before purchasing my Giulia. I think its poetic that Alfa returned to the US with a Giulia that beats BMW at what is widely considered to be BMW's game, considering that Alfa invented the sports sedan in 1962 with the Giulia Super.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Love this. And just yesterday at work, I had a kid asking for books on "Scuderia Ferrari." I nearly jumped out of my chair. Yes we do... It's all good guys. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.