Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

461 - 480 of 485 Posts

·
Vendor
2,052 Posts
These are 3 logs. The IAT is RIDICULOUS for 70 degree F nights and at sea level (Florida). Just trying to find a resolution. I want to love this car, but punching it and barely even moving in my seat is somewhat depressing.
More info needed I agree.

First off state your vehicle. RWD, AWD? LSD or Not? EDC or not? (I may have missed it)

Tires? Modifications (add them again). Is 70F accurate? Tarmac temp? Full tank? Half?

Jb4 with BT or not? If with BT what have you changed in the settings? Were you running Map 0, Map 1 or Map 2?

Do you have a pedal tuner?

How are you launching?

Have you logged any runs?

Previous times? Did you log those?

If nothing logged, then you are running off no data at all, only what your "feeling" and that usually is never correct. It's difficult to help with no comparable data.

Let's not compare your friends giulia unless you have all his data too. Do you have that to share along with yours?

If you don't have any data, get some runs done and come back here fully prepared.

I can tell you, after running JB4 vs others, JB4 has been nothing but consistent on 91 Octane here in San Diego (sea level). Modifications on mine: Supersprint full race exhaust, that's it.

Trying to help...

·
Registered
35 Posts
2017 Alfa Giulia Ti
RWD Q2
LSD
EDC
Michelin PSS 4
3/4 tank on those logs

approx 70 F, give or take on those logs

JB4 is not BT, direct wire is ran through firewall to a spot on on passenger side that runs to passenger seat laptop mount. Logs recorded from there.

I do not have logs for launchs, I will record those later this weekend when not working, and I do not have logs from my friend as his car is not tuned with no tuning device but has similar modifications to mine.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Let me know if that works!

Ok, good logs.

First, i'd make sure you are on the right firmware. This is the first thing because the logs you posted either indicate you are on an older firmware or the JB4 logger for this platform is woefully incomplete. I'll get to that.

You want the latest firmware only.

You want: JB4_ALFA_3_T1.hex

Ok, onto the logs.

BOOST: The little turbo on this car is showing that you are making 23.5 to 24 ish psi in the low rev band at 3000rpm and then it tapers to 19-20psi in the upper rev band (4500 to 5000ish rpm) before the final taper to 17psi at redline (5750rpm). Terry can tell you if thats normal but I suspect its all this little turbo has. We could all test this hypothesis by doing a custom map 6 and throwing in an unachievable additive boost in the upper rpm like adding 6psi up top and then logging and I suspect you'll see the same boost as map 2 that adds 3psi. Its all the turbo can do.

This also makes sense when you look at the dyno sheets for the giulia posted by BMS. You'll see that the map 1 and map 2 make the same power up top at 5500rpm despite one supposedly adding more boost. The additional power made is all down low and mid range. Thats just where the small turbo can make boost.

TIMING: Here's where I say this datalogger seems incomplete. First, I cant see real timing advance mumbers. It shows zerod out and i highly doubt you have zero timing. Likewise the ignition knk control shows zerod out. This may or may not be accurate as well. If there really is no knk being seen at all on your good quality Florida 93 octane than I suspect that is because you are running on reduced timing tables right now either due to IAT temp safeties or EGT perhaps. Not sure how this ecu determines to run the safety timing tables. Terry can comment. Either way though, its tough to guage because I cant see the actual timing angle in your logs. That needs to be fixed.

AFR: This looks pretty normal for a WOT turbo engine enrichment strategy. Keep in mind under part throttle cruising this is NOT how your AFR will look. You'll be running much leaner and more efficient. Under WOT the computer enriches to protect that cats and engine in general. Anyways with your AFR you are basically enriching pretty low in the rev band to 12.5:1 and then in mid to upper rev band this enriches to 11.5:1. Thats not uncommon to see under WOT component protection enrichment and usually a function of exhaust gas temperature feedback.

IAT: this is another value that I think is messed up in the JB4 logger. First, its a bummer these are supposedly pre intercooler IATs. Thats worthless IMO. This car must have an post intercooler IAT sensor or else I have no idea how it would know if you had a failing intercooler and how it would protect the engine. Either way, the scaling is also off in the logger apparently. It looks like it caps out at 255 degrees and then starts showing perhaps additive figures on top of 255 after that. Not sure to be honest but its fuxored. That needs fixing in the logger.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just compared with mine, and you need to update the firmware. That's (at least part) of the reason for the IAT temps - update to the 3TI hex

Your engine temps are a bit high. The ECU is pulling boost. You can see the wastegate closing

The ignition timing as reported by the JB4 is how much it gets retarded. You look fine. Everything else looks normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
thank you guys a ton, seriously. I'm going to update the firmware and give her a little bit of driving to adapt a bit more to the intake and exhaust, and see what the butt dyno as well as new logs tell me. As always, very appreciative for the help/suggestions

·
Vendor
202 Posts

Let me know if that works!
No I need the CSV files to open them with the JB4 software for charting and analysis.

On IAT we're reading it accurately using OBDII protocols but not sure it's an accurate number as they've never really made sense. Gets up to 200F+ sometimes. One of these days we'll dig in to it further.

Timing in logs is accurate and also per OBDII protocols, the JB4 log crops off below 0 degrees (negative timing), and the ECU rountiely runs timing negative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going through a few of these threads for my 2.0l. A couple of questions for everyone before I move forward. First... the cable routing. Is the JB4 the only piggyback to use the OBD II port, or do all of them. Has a 'clean install' been done yet? I get that putting the wire through the door frame works, but there's no way I'm going to do that. On the other hand, I've done a lot of 12v installs and I hate punching through the firewall.

Second, has anyone done data logging in high temp regions? I know parts of CA and TX might be able to provide insight, but I regularly hit 115 + here in downtown Phoenix. I was considering the BMS conical w/ an order, but heat soak could be an issue.

Thanks in advance.
Hey did you ever move forward on this? i live in Scottsdale, AZ as these are some questonis i had with the crazy AZ heat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey did you ever move forward on this? i live in Scottsdale, AZ as these are some questonis i had with the crazy AZ heat.
If you would like, I can take some pictures of where I routed my cables. I'm not sure why anyone does the routing through the door as there is a perfectly good rubber grommetted hole already in the firewall where you can run the wires. Let me know if pictures would help you find it and ill snag some

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
265 Posts
If you would like, I can take some pictures of where I routed my cables. I'm not sure why anyone does the routing through the door as there is a perfectly good rubber grommetted hole already in the firewall where you can run the wires. Let me know if pictures would help you find it and ill snag some
Photos would help a lot of people, thanks!

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Q4 280CV
8 Posts
Hello, it’s possible to have some photos please?

·
Vendor
202 Posts
For map6 tuning advice just post a CSV here and we can see if there is any benefit. For most Alfas though our map1 or map2 has been the best fit. Map6 would be useful for someone running a flash tune and using the JB4 in conjunction with it for fine tuning, if you need to dial back top end due to low grade fuel or very high elevation, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I already have a catless downpipe + AFE intake + revlimit stage 2 and looking on adding JB4.... should i add a JB4 or will it be risky because right now I'm looking at about 335 bhp

461 - 480 of 485 Posts