Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of the issues that people seem to be facing, specifically the limp mode may be due to early production quality issues that get ironed out over time.

I propose the following to help every keep track of these issues and to see how widespread it is over production time:

1. List your model (base, Ti, QV)

2. Most importantly list you car's build date. This (month/year) can be found on the black tag on the driver's door jamb.
for example on this car the date of manufacture was January 2017.

3. List what reliability issues you've had especially those pertaining to major systems (engine, transmission, breaking, steering, limp mode breaking down).

my guess is that we'll see that most issues were confined to early production vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Built date: April 2017 (April 28th to be exact, according to the paperwork). Ti, Q4, with Ti Performance Package

Almost 3,000 miles on the odometer, the only issues I've had are:

The start/stop system unavailable error message - one occurrence at 12 miles (when we first drove it off the lot)

Stalling as I slow down for speed bumps in front of my house, if I don't let her warm up for 30 seconds after first starting the engine; this despite an ambient temperature in the 80's F in the garage, where she's housed overnight and in the 70's outside.

Have used nothing but Top Tier premium unleaded since I took possession, with at least a 91 octane rating.

Except for one Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, nothing but Japanese and German cars in our past, so this will take getting used to. Still, I REALLY like this car!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
In perspective, there are less than 200 members here and VIN's from the early cars start at 17xxx. Newer cars are well over 50xxx at this point.

My Quadrifoglio is an early car (by USA standards) and has been perfect. Early VIN of 18xxx.

The Giulia had a year+ headstart in Europe.

The bugs and complaints we see here are typical of other brands as well. The media outlets have had other manufacturer cars fail during testing as well.

Alfa is getting more scrutiny (in my opinion) due to their history. Though, count me in as one of the perfect ones. Still needs the infotainment update but, then again, it is a common thing for all cars these days. Software is software. 4 door racecar on the street that is unbelivable in today's high performance world. Alfa Romeo really knocked it out of the park with this platform.

2018 will be even better!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
1st Run Quadrifoglio: 9/16 Build, 12/16 delivery

2 Issues in Total:
(1) Trim issue, headlight washer cap on driver's side broke off: culprit was the holding bracket on the inside of the bumper was weak/broken. repaired new brackets no longer an issue
(2) CEL light came on, cleared the first time, then became a hard code...car was in shop for a protracted period of time. car would not leave limp mode...Alfa-Care case opened, Regional Rep involvement..car was brought to another dealer and was fixed in same day!:grin2:

NOT A SINGLE ISSUE SINCE....running the old 001 software...that is getting updated in July 24th.
Car has been tracked, and driven as GOD ALMIGHTY:grin2: and the Alfa Engineers intended....4300 miles.....

<dropping the mike>
Regards
M

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
Guila Ti Q2 Build date May 3rd. about 440 miles on her.

1. Right headlight running light started flickering causing the following errors: Right turn signal light out. Daytime running light out. Parking light out. All lights were functioning except the running light so I suspect it was confusing the computer into thinking there were multiple failures. Dealer replaced headlight to resolve issues. These are the 35w upgraded headlights.

2. service engine error and start stop disabled after first fill up. Went away on its own after a day of lite driving. Dealer applied update.

Otherwise no problems but I have not had it back very long.

That being said I love the car. I have never enjoyed a new car so much. I feel like an excited kid every time I drive! I'm also pleased with the way my dealership handled the issue and also their willingness to update the car with current software.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hmm I doubt it, this car has been released in EU a year before US so US production is actually second model year...

Mine is built in February 17, Ti Q4, zero issues, even slightly jerky transmission in the beggining is now smooth as in any previous cars I had ZF in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Giulia Ti with 19" sports package, HK with Nav, sunroof, static drivers asst package

Build date is 11/16, lease date 2/17

Stalled once pulling out of my garage, in March, restarted and it ran fine. Took it to the dealer that same day and they did all the service updates. Has been fine ever since. Now have 1900 miles on her.

Lost my AM/FM presets on the infotainment system twice...but all the satellite channels I have saved in favorites remained. I have not had the infotainment update done.

Seems I was one of the early adopters - and it's been, and continues to be, a great car!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a TI Q4 THE BUILD DATE IS 03/17 which i picked up on april 22, the only issue I had was with the sunroof not working but it was a 5 minute fix at the service department. I'm bringing the car in Wednesday for a update to the infotainment / nav system. I will post what was updated

·
Registered
420 Posts
So far, as always only so far, March 2017 build date, ALL updates done before delivery, 3000 miles, zero issues.

This is an outstanding car, beautiful design especially the front and the flow from the driver's seat, and well built.

I would give it some more time before saying it is definitive, but I think the key to this is the updates. The car design, components, and assembly look good. The software needed some work before they started selling.

We will have to see if this is still all true at 30,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts