Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Santa brought me the puddle lights and carbon shifter. Puddle lights are so cool as already posted. The shifter was an ass pain. I broke it trying to put it on. I followed all instructions and still broke two tabs off.
Also I got tired of waiting for a license frame and put license on without one. I used camper tape to pad the back of license so there’s is no contact with paint. I had crappy silver screws so I painted them blue with touch up paint. Will do a better job later, but we were heading out the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The best license plate frame/cover setup is the weathertech clearcover, it's a cover and frame in one unit and works excellent

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thanks Max. Just ordered one!
You have pretty cool plates in NM. We barely have any selection here in NH for interesting plates, but I bought the state parks/conservation plate which has a moose on one side and the state parks seal on the other. I have 4 digits as opposed to the usual 7, I wish I could somehow get lower digits. It's $130/yr but I never see them. I enjoy looking at all the different types of plates across the country

Also, don't feel bad about breaking the shift cover. For a while, most things I bought for my Giulia didn't work out, I either broke them or they didn't fit. I feel like everybody on the forum ends up installing everything perfectly, every time, other than me. I am not happy you broke your product, but am glad I'm not the only one. Lol

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
So Santa brought me the puddle lights and carbon shifter. Puddle lights are so cool as already posted. The shifter was an ass pain. I broke it trying to put it on. I followed all instructions and still broke two tabs off.
Also I got tired of waiting for a license frame and put license on without one. I used camper tape to pad the back of license so there’s is no contact with paint. I had crappy silver screws so I painted them blue with touch up paint. Will do a better job later, but we were heading out the door.
Nice plate, does it really need a frame? I thought the purposes of a plate frame was to hide edge flaws of the plate and dealer advertising.

How hard is it to remove the original shifter surround? Is it hard to put back?

I am still thinking about fabricating a push button shifter for Giulia. Edsel jokes aside, the 4C comes pretty much exactly as I envision, although I don't think that panel will fit Giulia <sigh>. The buttons/switches probably would work though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice plate, does it really need a frame? I thought the purposes of a plate frame was to hide edge flaws of the plate and dealer advertising.

How hard is it to remove the original shifter surround? Is it hard to put back?

I am still thinking about fabricating a push button shifter for Giulia. Edsel jokes aside, the 4C comes pretty much exactly as I envision, although I don't think that panel will fit Giulia <sigh>. The buttons/switches probably would work though.
Easy enough to remove. I used a plastic tire tool for bike tires. Worked great. The cf cover gave me fits. My original cover went right back on again despite one tab being broken. Mopar has been contacted, and will replace the cover. Don’t know what will be different this time around.

The only thing I can think of regarding frame is the UV protection of a film cover.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have a laser absorbing front cover because I can't afford actual laser jammers, and I pay too much money for license plates to have them get all gross and rusty from winter

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Easy enough to remove. I used a plastic tire tool for bike tires. Worked great. The cf cover gave me fits. My original cover went right back on again despite one tab being broken. Mopar has been contacted, and will replace the cover. Don’t know what will be different this time around.

The only thing I can think of regarding frame is the UV protection of a film cover.
Covering a license plate is illegal in California although I see clear covers once in a while anyway (not often). I've noticed that plates have a protective film on them as delivered for the last 15 years or so and this film tends to lift and peel over time making the plate look like it is dirty.

The formal name for "plastic tire tool for bike tires" is "plastic tire iron".

It's good that Mopar will replace the part. I bought the Mopar CF mirror covers and sure hope they are not a struggle to install. All I need is a car now. ETA is "sometime in January". Interestingly, the tabs are not CF in the mirror covers, they are integral to a molded plastic frame that is glued to the inside.

Sometimes installing a part involves finessing it right. I have a scar between my eyes from hitting myself with a pair of pliers (37 years ago) while attempting to install a rear brake spring on my Norton Commando. After a trip to the hospital for stitches I finally RTFM and the whole thing snapped together without any struggle. arrrgggghhhh.

Maybe someone can post a youtube of how to install the CF shifter cover?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Covering a license plate is illegal in California although I see clear covers once in a while anyway (not often). I've noticed that plates have a protective film on them as delivered for the last 15 years or so and this film tends to lift and peel over time making the plate look like it is dirty.

The formal name for "plastic tire tool for bike tires" is "plastic tire iron".

It's good that Mopar will replace the part. I bought the Mopar CF mirror covers and sure hope they are not a struggle to install. All I need is a car now. ETA is "sometime in January". Interestingly, the tabs are not CF in the mirror covers, they are integral to a molded plastic frame that is glued to the inside.

Sometimes installing a part involves finessing it right. I have a scar between my eyes from hitting myself with a pair of pliers (37 years ago) while attempting to install a rear brake spring on my Norton Commando. After a trip to the hospital for stitches I finally RTFM and the whole thing snapped together without any struggle. arrrgggghhhh.

Maybe someone can post a youtube of how to install the CF shifter cover?
By any chance, did you buy the Mopar splashgaurds for the Giulia too? Maybe you are not that type of guy, but you seem to be very creative and have a lot of modification ideas haha ... I am possibly interested

·
Registered
735 Posts
By any chance, did you buy the Mopar splashgaurds for the Giulia too? Maybe you are not that type of guy, but you seem to be very creative and have a lot of modification ideas haha ... I am possibly interested

Splash guards? You’ve got my attention!!!

I got BMW carbon fiber mirror covers on an ‘08 E90, but I thought I would be saving a lot of weight, until I pulled the old ones off and they were plastic! (Grumbles at the hole in my pocket that that caused....)

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I don't know about any Mopar splashguards for Giulia, please point them out. I am still waiting for my car to be delivered. I have an Xpel installer lined up to wrap the car immediately after I take delivery. I'm not sure that there is much value in adding other means to mitigate wear and tear on the car finish.

I've got full Mopar mud flaps on my Dodge RAM pickup truck, but it still gets plastered with mud. I'm not sure they do much of anything. At least I don't get accused of having a poser truck.

The CF mirror covers are all about looks, not weight loss. Neither the OEM nor the Mopar CF mirror covers (6.3 ounces) weigh much. I ordered a Bianco Trofeo Q4 and that is just a little too much white for my taste so that a little "not white" is just what it needs. It's a delicate balance before one ends up with a "too much shiny black plastic" Chevy Volt look, so just the mirror covers and some subtle highlights on the rockers. CF covers for the door handles and cups are available, but I think that would look too "busy".

I'm not afraid to try things on my vehicles, although I am very selective about what I spend my money on. It is not so much about being careful with the money as not wanting to waste time on stuff that does not work. Although my Protege is bone stock, the truck is loaded up with a mix of modifications, some of which I fabricated myself and most of which I installed myself.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I don't know about any Mopar splashguards for Giulia, please point them out. I am still waiting for my car to be delivered. I have an Xpel installer lined up to wrap the car immediately after I take delivery. I'm not sure that there is much value in adding other means to mitigate wear and tear on the car finish.

I've got full Mopar mud flaps on my Dodge RAM pickup truck, but it still gets plastered with mud. I'm not sure they do much of anything. At least I don't get accused of having a poser truck.

The CF mirror covers are all about looks, not weight loss. Neither the OEM nor the Mopar CF mirror covers (6.3 ounces) weigh much. I ordered a Bianco Trofeo Q4 and that is just a little too much white for my taste so that a little "not white" is just what it needs. It's a delicate balance before one ends up with a "too much shiny black plastic" Chevy Volt look, so just the mirror covers and some subtle highlights on the rockers. CF covers for the door handles and cups are available, but I think that would look too "busy".

I'm not afraid to try things on my vehicles, although I am very selective about what I spend my money on. It is not so much about being careful with the money as not wanting to waste time on stuff that does not work. Although my Protege is bone stock, the truck is loaded up with a mix of modifications, some of which I fabricated myself and most of which I installed myself.
https://moparonlineparts.com/alfa-romeo-giulia-splash-guards-p-8170.html

Webpage has looked like this for a long time, no pics

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Thanks. Interestingly that part only seems to be listed by moparonlineparts.com. It doesn't show up on any other mopar parts site that I can find.

Here is the European Alfa Mopar catalog:
http://www.mopar.eu/Resources/restyle_2016/catalogs/en/accessories/giulia_en.pdf

Alfa store:
http://store.alfaromeo.com/it_it/accessori-auto/giulia.html?p=1

and the USA version

https://www.dealers-mopar.com/resou...essories/brochures/2017/alfa-romeo-giulia.pdf

but no sign of those splash guards. Maybe the splash guards are too new to be in the catalog?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts