Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there were some initial reports that the $5,000 Brembo CCM brake option was being required on custom QV orders, which was met with initial skepticism on the forum, but has now been confirmed by multiple sources. Now, my dealer is saying that he believes this will be a "required option" for the remainder of 2017! Which means that if you want a 2017 QV without the expensive brakes, you'll have to find one of the initial allocation. Is anyone else also hearing this? Why is AR making this so difficult? Starting to think I will need to abandon the Giulia idea, buy something else, and reconsider again in three years!:frown2:

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
I can confirm that my dealer stated that if I waited for a subsequent allocation in later 2017 that the upgraded brake package was mandatory.

There were less than 100 Guilia Quadrifoglio's imported around Xmas 2016 as a small shipment.

A second set of boats brought only the economical version of these cars (no Quadrifoglio cars). This 2nd shipment brought the base model Guilia in much larger numbers. Maybe 1000+? My dealer has 3 allocations of Quadrifoglio's through the entire year. Though, they have received 5 of the base model right off the bat from the 2nd shipment. They are supposed to get multiple deliveries of the base models through the year.

Long story short is that the latest brake situation is CCM only for the Quadrifoglio's.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I actually want the Carbon Ceramic Brakes, but why can I not have the Dark Tecnico Wheels with it?

I've tried to get in contact with Alfa Romeo US that when CCM is selected, it only gives the option for the 5-Hole wheels - WHY?
Well they haven't gotten back to me yet

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
Definitely a minor difference with the wheel offset as it related to caliper clearance. A smallish wheel spacer can (usually) adequately create the needed clearance provided the face of the caliper to the wheel spoke is the only clearance issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely a minor difference with the wheel offset as it related to caliper clearance. A smallish wheel spacer can (usually) adequately create the needed clearance provided the face of the caliper to the wheel spoke is the only clearance issue.
Use a spacer at your own risk. You will definitely void the warranty.

·
Supporting Vendor
726 Posts
Use a spacer at your own risk. You will definitely void the warranty.
Sorry, that is false.

The Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 explicitly states that manufacturers can not "Void the Warranty" on a vehicle for using aftermarket parts.

If you installed wheel spacers and had a wheel bearing failure, then they may be able to argue the spacer and/or the change in offset put more stress on the wheel bearings and caused the failure. But they would have to demonstrate that. If you had an engine problem or your power windows stopped working they would be unable to prove the spacers caused the failure. The overall warranty for all other parts of the vehicle not related to the modification would not be effected, i.e. the entire warranty would not be voided.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If only any dealership can allow me to order the CCM with the Dark Tecnico!

So many Quadrifoglio at car shows and official videos have the CCM with Tecnico wheels

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, that is false.

The Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 explicitly states that manufacturers can not "Void the Warranty" on a vehicle for using aftermarket parts.

If you installed wheel spacers and had a wheel bearing failure, then they may be able to argue the spacer and/or the change in offset put more stress on the wheel bearings and caused the failure. But they would have to demonstrate that. If you had an engine problem or your power windows stopped working they would be unable to prove the spacers caused the failure. The overall warranty for all other parts of the vehicle not related to the modification would not be effected, i.e. the entire warranty would not be voided.
It's not the use of aftermarket parts that would void the warranty, it's the alteration of the original specifications for the hub and wheel assembly that would void it. And obviously I meant for failures that could be attributed to the change, but expect the manufacturer to apply that very broadly. Unless you are prepared to sue, the manufacturer doesn't have to prove anything - you will be the one asking them for warranty coverage, and it's very simple for them to deny it.

·
Supporting Vendor
726 Posts
It's not the use of aftermarket parts that would void the warranty, it's the alteration of the original specifications for the hub and wheel assembly that would void it. And obviously I meant for failures that could be attributed to the change, but expect the manufacturer to apply that very broadly. Unless you are prepared to sue, the manufacturer doesn't have to prove anything - you will be the one asking them for warranty coverage, and it's very simple for them to deny it.
I think we agree in principle here.

Regarding Alfa Romeo dealers in particular - there are a ton of 4Cs running around with wheel spacers and/or aftermarket wheels (there may be as many modified cars as stock at this point). And they are all still getting suspension service work done under warranty (TSB) for a clunk in the front suspension, as well as other various issues that have popped up with suspension noises. In fact, our dealer happily performed this suspension service on our 4C even though it is on a full Bilstein PSS10 coil over suspension.

I have not heard of anyone with a 4C being denied warranty for any issue, period. I don't think the Alfa dealers are "looking" to void warranties as some other manufacturers have in the recent past, at this point they seem fairly enthusiastic and eager to help. I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Regarding Alfa Romeo dealers in particular - there are a ton of 4Cs running around with wheel spacers and/or aftermarket wheels (there may be as many modified cars as stock at this point). And they are all still getting suspension service work done under warranty (TSB) for a clunk in the front suspension, as well as other various issues that have popped up with suspension noises. In fact, our dealer happily performed this suspension service on our 4C even though it is on a full Bilstein PSS10 coil over suspension.

I have not heard of anyone with a 4C being denied warranty for any issue, period. I don't think the Alfa dealers are "looking" to void warranties as some other manufacturers have in the recent past, at this point they seem fairly enthusiastic and eager to help. I hope it stays that way.
I'm of course quite happy to hear this. I guess my main point is it would make me very nervous to try to make a brake and wheel combination work when the factory is specifically NOT offering that combination, particularly on a brand new, first year, $80,000, Italian-made vehicle! But, that's just me...

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
As enthusiasts, all we need to do is put a couple cars together with the varied wheel and brake packages and do some test swaps.

I'm in suburban Philly. Drive on over!

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
243 Posts
As enthusiasts, all we need to do is put a couple cars together with the varied wheel and brake packages and do some test swaps.

I'm in suburban Philly. Drive on over!
I'm of course quite happy to hear this. I guess my main point is it would make me very nervous to try to make a brake and wheel combination work when the factory is specifically NOT offering that combination, particularly on a brand new, first year, $80,000, Italian-made vehicle! But, that's just me...
There are tons of pics and video provided by ALFA ROMEO with the combination of the Dark Tecnico Wheels and Carbon Ceramic Brakes.

Also many publications have test driven the Quadrifoglio with the same setup, so why cannot we not configure the vehicle likewise?

·
Registered
418 Posts

A dealer would have to be a di.. to not grant or to explicitly divulge wheel spacers as a probable cause when submitting a warranty claim. Partially because what could a wheel spacer that small even cause to happen. Wouldn't happen here.

·
Registered
418 Posts
There are tons of pics and video provided by ALFA ROMEO with the combination of the Dark Tecnico Wheels and Carbon Ceramic Brakes.

Also many publications have test driven the Quadrifoglio with the same setup, so why cannot we not configure the vehicle likewise?
Possibly something to do with a parts constraint?
The CCM requirement is definitely due to a parts constraint and possible surplus of CCM's. It's pretty much the same as no adaptive cruise control not being on the first cars. If Alfa took 90 orders and of those 60 opted for standard brakes and there were only 30 available, then 30 cars would essentially be on back order, if customers had leases ending they'd berate Alfa all over the web as well as cuss the dealer. These backed cars would also disturb the shipping process/volume, cause a delay at port when they do come in etc. On the flip side requiring CCM's at this point will keep production flowing, which is the logical decision when looking at current demand.

Asad- The car I have coming has Technico's, another of my customers wants the dark 5-holes, but may not be able to wait and may purchase this car. I'm betting he'd be more than happy to swap with you if you order one with the 5 holes. Alternatively I'll have service reach out and see when we might be able to order the technicos separately.

From what I was told in January, from Alfa, Brembo CCM's will likely be required for 17 model year. This seems like an eternity, but 2018 model year ordering would probably start around July? We're really looking at another few months not an entire year.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Good news on the wheels. Now will have to sleep over getting mine with or without carbon ceramic brakes (even though I really really want them, aesthetic reasoning)
Get the carbon ceramics with the dark 5 hole and as soon as I can order them via parts or have a customer that has/is looking at a car with technicos and wants 5 holes I'll facilitate the swap. Older customers seem to be drawn toward the 5-holes and younger technicos, by no means a rule just a general trend I've noticed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.