Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be picking up a new Quad in Upstate New York in August and driving it 1300 miles back to my Florida home. I'll only put a few hundred miles on it before making the journey down, much of which will be on Interstate highways. (I do this drive often and drive straight through in about 21 hours) Any suggestions on how to properly drive the vehicle in this 'break in' period. i.e. Don't set the cruise and leave it for hours, vary the speed , drive in advanced efficiency mode, then switch off and on to Natural mode. Stay under a certain RPM etc., etc?? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
There's no break-in period/procedure in the QV manual, while there is for the 2.0. I think most of us just drive them hard from day 1, but if you're worried I suppose you could follow the guidelines in the 2.0 manuals.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting- I own a 2017 Ti Sport now that I'm keeping. I made this same trip, only FL to NY and back in June 2017 when the Ti had about 1200 miles on it and it performed flawlessly the whole trip. I did a total of 3,200 miles and averaged 34.5 MPG! I had to be careful on the interstates as the thing would feel so smooth I'd look down and I'd be doing 90, when I though I was going about 75. One time while getting past a semi in the rain that was spewing a blinding shower of water I looked down and after what seemed like only a few seconds on the gas was doing 107! I had no idea.

·
Vendor
3,726 Posts
I'll be picking up a new Quad in Upstate New York in August and driving it 1300 miles back to my Florida home. I'll only put a few hundred miles on it before making the journey down, much of which will be on Interstate highways. (I do this drive often and drive straight through in about 21 hours) Any suggestions on how to properly drive the vehicle in this 'break in' period. i.e. Don't set the cruise and leave it for hours, vary the speed , drive in advanced efficiency mode, then switch off and on to Natural mode. Stay under a certain RPM etc., etc?? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Drive the hell out of it and keep doing that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is- lots of tips that I used to hear when I worked in a detail shop years ago. The guys with the hot cars (like SS 396's, Road Runners, the first Z28 302 Camaro with solid lifters for example all said back then pretty much the same- don't baby it. And as the article says the real break in period is extremely short. Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,941 Posts
It plan on owning my qv for a long time if not forever, so what's 1000 miles using different drive modes, varying throttle, and limiting rpm to 5500. Made it all the more worth it when I hit 1000 miles

Reactions: Wownowpics

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've used that method for a long time with many different vehicles and always had great strong running engines that didn't burn any oil. Hope it works for you as well!

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I purchased my QV two years ago it had 30 miles. The salesman was really into it in telling to drive slow for the first 1000 miles as I needed to break the engine in, not to go over 3500 rpm, blah blah blah. I just shook my head in agreement and then once I left the parking lot hit the gas and red lined it in the first 3 gears and over 100 mph. Now, at 11K miles later, rev limiter gets hit on a regular basis, runs strong and never had any issues.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats on the QV...If I was driving that long on the interstate, I would put it in Natural mode. Once you get home, let the engine warm up in Natural mode...then put it in Race mode-manual shifting and enjoy.

I find my self using Natural mode if there is stop-and-go traffic, this mode less jerky while braking.

Reactions: Wownowpics

·
Registered
894 Posts
When I bought my new '18 Quad last fall, it had about 90 or so miles on it. When I took it for a test drive, my first time in an Giulia, I took it very easy, and the salesman told me every one else just immediately put the cars into Race. So I suspect my Quad, now with about 7K miles on it, uses no oil and runs fast and straight, was "broken in" before I bought it. I am no engine designer, but the important thing I have believed for decades, is to not run an engine at the same RPM for long periods of time when brand new, ie, on an Interstate.

While the summer heat here in UpState SC is miserable for outside chores, it sure makes for great traction on the Corsa's.

I really enjoy the car. I have had one sort of Sports Car or performance car since my first car, a '63 TR4. My Misano Quad is just a great car, fast, comfortable, useful features, and efficient AC. I am not an aggressive driver; being retired, I am in no hurry to get where I am going. I have all the time in the world. But I do usually put the car in D mode in city traffic, and only use Race when I want to flaunt my exhaust when slowing or accelerating by a line of stopped cars. I plan on the Forza exhaust controller before too long.

Anyway, the best way to "break in" a new powertrain and brake system is likely different than what was suggested in times past. I don't know what that would be now days.

NV

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I bought my new '18 Quad last fall, it had about 90 or so miles on it. When I took it for a test drive, my first time in an Giulia, I took it very easy, and the salesman told me every one else just immediately put the cars into Race. So I suspect my Quad, now with about 7K miles on it, uses no oil and runs fast and straight, was "broken in" before I bought it. I am no engine designer, but the important thing I have believed for decades, is to not run an engine at the same RPM for long periods of time when brand new, ie, on an Interstate.

While the summer heat here in UpState SC is miserable for outside chores, it sure makes for great traction on the Corsa's.

I really enjoy the car. I have had one sort of Sports Car or performance car since my first car, a '63 TR4. My Misano Quad is just a great car, fast, comfortable, useful features, and efficient AC. I am not an aggressive driver; being retired, I am in no hurry to get where I am going. I have all the time in the world. But I do usually put the car in D mode in city traffic, and only use Race when I want to flaunt my exhaust when slowing or accelerating by a line of stopped cars. I plan on the Forza exhaust controller before too long.

Anyway, the best way to "break in" a new powertrain and brake system is likely different than what was suggested in times past. I don't know what that would be now days.

NV
Enjoyed the post- like you I am retired and don't drive crazy fast like I did when I bought my 1968 Road Runner in 1968. Miracle I didn't kill myself. I worked in a detail shop at the time and we all had fast cars. The wisdom at the time for a break in motor was don't let it idle but don't run the thing up to red line for the first 200 miles. Then burn rubber! Also vary the RPM and load on the engine when new. New manufacturing tolerances and new oils probably make a big difference now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts