Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. got a question

I recently bought a 2017 Giulia QV. I love it. It is performing flawlessly. Smooth, gorgeous, comfortable.
unfortunately, I have to park at work in an open lot, in a less than desirable area of town. I try to park in the most visible corner of the lot, but it isn't uncommon to hear of a stolen vehicle.

Upon returning to my car yesterday after work, I started it up and it flashed "Break in attempt" on the screen. I found no visible damage on the car/handles/locks to corroborate that claim.

I tried to simulate a break in by pulling on all the handles while the car was locked and no warning flashed upon restart.

I looked in the manual but couldn't find any info on just what kind of attempt would trigger the warning.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you pull the door handle when it's locked without a key fob it will give you that warning.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I recently bought a 2017 Giulia QV. I love it. It is performing flawlessly. Smooth, gorgeous, comfortable.
unfortunately, I have to park at work in an open lot, in a less than desirable area of town. I try to park in the most visible corner of the lot, but it isn't uncommon to hear of a stolen vehicle.

Upon returning to my car yesterday after work, I started it up and it flashed "Break in attempt" on the screen. I found no visible damage on the car/handles/locks to corroborate that claim.

I tried to simulate a break in by pulling on all the handles while the car was locked and no warning flashed upon restart.

I looked in the manual but couldn't find any info on just what kind of attempt would trigger the warning.

Any ideas?
Haven't had this happen to my Giulia yet, but was a fairly common event on my Quattroporte. I think the alarm is a little too sensitive, sometimes pulling on a door handle will give the warning, sometimes bumping your face on the window while trying to look inside, and sometimes just for no reason whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Proximity Sensor....??

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a QV and the alarm is VERY sensitive. It's gone off when it rains hard, thunderstorms, and even when nearby construction was causing an annoying "siren" sound. At my office sometimes I can see my car through my 2nd floor window and turn it off, but I don't catch it all the time. Can be annoying.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The alarm is crazy sensitive. Really annoying for sure. Just like MarksGiulia, it'll go off in any decent rain. I first noticed it when a friend of mine started his car while parked next to me. He has a loud car, sure, but it's a bit ridiculous. It's raining here and just a few minutes ago I saw that my alarm was going off. It's a strange system. Hoping there's eventually some kind of fix for the sensitivity.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
We got the "Break-In Attempted" warning (and the audible alarm) when we accidentally put the car up on a lift when it was locked. So this means it has some type of movement sensor, which works in a vertical plane as well as horizontal. My guess would be this is intended to set off the alarm if the car was being jacked up to steal wheels, or stolen via flatbed.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
I imagine it's only a matter of time until I too see this. What I have experienced is my car apparently locking itself while in my home garage. It's not a case of inadvertent fob application, because the fob leaves my pocket upon entering the house, often with the door to the garage still open (so I'd hear the car lock). It's not a problem, as the car has never locked with the key left in it, but is still a mystery.

Finding my car may be a challenge today, as I arrived at work a little later than usual and did not park in one of my customary spots. I was, however, treated to a bit of eye candy on the way in, a red Quadrifoglio. Mama mia!

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well, at least we know it works! ;) My 360 has the level and jacking sensor too. It goes off when ever I am lifting the car. Luckily my siren battery is shot AFAIK so all that happens is the lights flash. The immobilizer is very good and embarrasses me more than makes me nervous. ;) One thing I do wonder is why the system seems to go to panic or sound only first, BEFORE actually locking the doors remotely.

Also, for those who say they can't replicate it, are you SURE you are lifting the handle with the key fob well away from the car. Like 50 feet in someone else's hands?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
True story....first time it happened to me I was at a Funeral Home in New Jersey....I guess they're dying to get in !!!!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
True story....first time it happened to me I was at a Funeral Home in New Jersey....I guess they're dying to get in !!!!
A Quadrifoglio in race mode would be perfect for a funeral procession.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Any ideas?
I see this is your first post here.
Welcome to the forum :)
Congrats on your new Giulia :grin2:

As others have mentioned, this could be the alarm falsing for no reason in particular or a variety of other real variables. Since you didn't find any damage or actual signs of attempted break-in, I'd assume it was a false. It could be something like a cat jumping on the hood.

If if happens on a regular basis then you should have the dealer adjust the alarm or whatever they need to do.

If you want or need to, inside the key FOB is a solid key that will lock the driver's door without setting the alarm.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Our QV just went off at 5:30am on a freezing Sunday morning... Woke the whole household up, nice :S

Just inspected, couldn't see any damage. There did appear to be a moisture patch on the boot about the size of a cat or possum, smaller than a drop bear thankfully, so thinking was just a naughty animal. As said before, good to know at least it works!

P.S. The kookaburras are now up also and they're laughing at us, those bastards.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Our QV just went off at 5:30am on a freezing Sunday morning... Woke the whole household up, nice :S

Just inspected, couldn't see any damage. There did appear to be a moisture patch on the boot about the size of a cat or possum, smaller than a drop bear thankfully, so thinking was just a naughty animal. As said before, good to know at least it works!

P.S. The kookaburras are now up also and they're laughing at us, those bastards.
That's what you get for parking outside. Fortunately Skippy didn't come and give it a kick.

Funny you mentioned kookaburras. I happened to see a couple of them today.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's what you get for parking outside. Fortunately Skippy didn't come and give it a kick.

Funny you mentioned kookaburras. I happened to see a couple of them today.
I hear you mate, 'Straya.

Yeah nah yeah nahhhhhhh, am just out of town and parking on private property, not much option.

The only option now actually is to clean her and hit the road again. I'll manage, don't worry

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
I hear you mate, 'Straya.

Yeah nah yeah nahhhhhhh, am just out of town and parking on private property, not much option.

The only option now actually is to clean her and hit the road again. I'll manage, don't worry
No worries at all. Don't some homes there have attached garages, or at least covered car ports? We saw plenty in NZ, but of course that isn't 'Straya.

Here's the birdie. Not much of a shot, but what can an amateur photographer do shooting through netting at the zoo? Really would have liked to hear it laugh, even at me.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts