Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went to Tarpon Springs (west Florida tourist attraction) a few days ago. One of the stores on the main drag had a sign "Park all day $1.00 Pay inside store". We park, go in to pay, and it go like this:

cashier: "Brand and color of the car?"

me: "Alfa Romeo dark blue"

cashier: "what?"

cashier: "I need the brand of the car."

me: "It's Alfa Romeo"

cashier: "No, I mean the brand like Toyota or Chevrolet, not the model name."

me: "Alfa Romeo is the brand"

(meanwhile my wife is trying not to laugh)

cashier: How do you spell it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moral of the story ......... not everyone watches the super bowl.

·
Registered
249 Posts
What was the age of this unknowing person? I'm guessing rather young or would have at least heard of Alfa Romeo. lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Lmao.. omg that is classic.!!!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
LMAO... That's rich.

A couple of years ago we drove our 4C up north, stopping in Weed, CA for the night. The motel clerk wanted to know car and color, as usual in case it needed to be moved later. I tell him and he looks up and says, "Alfa Romeo? Oh yeah, that's Russian made." Then he proceeds to tell me all about my car. Of course everything said was just as accurate as his first statement.

Our Giulia doesn't draw the attention the 4C draws, and it's certainly a different type of attention. So far, nothing stupid though.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
LMAO... That's rich.

A couple of years ago we drove our 4C up north, stopping in Weed, CA for the night. The motel clerk wanted to know car and color, as usual in case it needed to be moved later. I tell him and he looks up and says, "Alfa Romeo? Oh yeah, that's Russian made." Then he proceeds to tell me all about my car. Of course everything said was just as accurate as his first statement.

Our Giulia doesn't draw the attention the 4C draws, and it's certainly a different type of attention. So far, nothing stupid though.
Lolz, I just wonder what the heck did he mistaken Alfa for? Volga, Zaporozec, Moskvic, Lada....nothing even remotely draws any associations with Alfa

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
The story circulated about the Chrysler employee who received a parking ticket for parking in an FCA vehicles only section of the headquarters parking garage. Seems the security officer didn't recognize Alfa Romeo as part of the family.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
My wife and I went to Tarpon Springs (west Florida tourist attraction) a few days ago. One of the stores on the main drag had a sign "Park all day $1.00 Pay inside store". We park, go in to pay, and it go like this:

cashier: "Brand and color of the car?"

cashier: "what?"

cashier: "I need the brand of the car."

me: "It's Alfa Romeo"

cashier: "No, I mean the brand like Toyota or Chevrolet, not the model name."

me: "Alfa Romeo is the brand"

(meanwhile my wife is trying not to laugh)

cashier: How do you spell it?

Moral of the story ......... not everyone watches the super bowl.

too funny....I had a similar issue in NYC one evening...pulled into a parking garage and the guys said we no park Ferrari...LOL made a thread about here...first time I ever got turned away from a garage for a car I drove...lol

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Most people who see my 92 Alfa Spider think it's a Miata haha.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
554 Posts
This doesn't surprise me at all, I have a conversation like this probably every other day. "It's a what? Alfa Romero? Who makes it?"

But hey, if you're not a "car person", I could see how you wouldn't know of a brand that hasn't had a strong US presence. Aside from the Super Bowl push 9 months ago, I haven't seen a single ad or car on the road.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I hear you...surely the Giulia ads have slowed since the Super Bowl...in fact, Lexus must have hired the same ad company because they copied the Alfa Super Bowl ad for their LFX (?) Coupe....They showed an aerial view of a winding mountainous road (Like Stelvio path) and had a BOUJIE fraudulent woman speaking in an English accent...it was such a rip off it was embarrassing (she says something like, "we are not standing by ...." )

Back on topic, but during the World Series broadcast (I believe on TBS), they sponsored the Pre Game and had Stelvio ad after Stelvio ad....

But this "lack of awareness" goes deeper than advertising....I was raised in an ethnic household by parents (and two siblings) born in Greece. Although I was born here, I spoke Greek before I learned English....My point is that we (at least in our household) had a broader global perspective than most other "American" households....World Geography is a classic exposure to one's lack of global perspective....I'm frequently shocked when I find contemporaries that are lost as to what part of the world a certain locale is ....So, I think it's kind of an American trait (perhaps because we've always been the TOP DOG) to pay little attention to others and perhaps non American things...Again referring to "Joe Average Citizen" (and not meant to be disparaging, just an observation)

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
I loved the scene in one ad where the car drove down a tree-lined road and the trees were reflected in its hood.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
It's pretty common to say Americans aren't too great with world geography, and maybe those in or from Greece are quite aware of Croatian or Albanian borders, but they probably don't know where Delaware is compared to the Dakotas.
Geography is regional, and I certainly don't expect someone in Cambodia to much care which coast of the US I live on. People in every country are rightly taught about the world from their point of view.
But between those in service, immigrants, US multinational corporations, and tourism, I do believe Americans are far more aware of the world than most, and certainly more than they are given credit for.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
I think the lack of proper signage at the dealerships is a big problem. Although Steven's Creek Alfa Romeo has an Alfa Romeo sign, it is mounted low beneath the Maserati sign and the words ALFA ROMEO are small. Alfa may be proud of their emblem, but it does not evoke "ALFA ROMEO" in the mind of the masses (yet). The Maserati sign isn't much better, but is mounted much higher:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...ved=0ahUKEwiXqKut_KfXAhVB5mMKHatfATcQoioIcTAN

Niello lacks signage entirely. The brand names are on the building, but it is highly recessed from the road and also has poor visibility:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...ved=0ahUKEwjNrM_L_afXAhUD1WMKHYLVBgcQpx8IejAN

I think a big "in your face" sign on the street that is easily visible from a moving car is what is called for.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Some signage at our local dealer, which seems to rely as much on the cars parked out front.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Putting cars out front is not very effective on a road with a 40MPH speed limit and plenty of traffic.
50 mph (and rarely observed). I was more ridiculing than holding it out as a positive example. "If you build it they will come" mentality?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well in England i haven't had anyone act like they haven't heard of the brand of the car yet (funny story btw!)

However i have yet to meet someone who knows what the 4 leaf clover is all about.

They are showing the occasional add for Alfa Romeo on TV though. Mostly to show off the new Stelvio. All helps i guess.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It's pretty common to say Americans aren't too great with world geography, and maybe those in or from Greece are quite aware of Croatian or Albanian borders, but they probably don't know where Delaware is compared to the Dakotas.
Geography is regional, and I certainly don't expect someone in Cambodia to much care which coast of the US I live on. People in every country are rightly taught about the world from their point of view.
But between those in service, immigrants, US multinational corporations, and tourism, I do believe Americans are far more aware of the world than most, and certainly more than they are given credit for.
Go to Youtube and search Jay Leno's "Man on the street" interviews....they are scary....If you work for a multinational corp or if you travel that is not the "default average American"...I remember in college the educational differences between our High School standards and those that I met that had studied in Europe was staggering....Especially when it came to math and history.....Staggering:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
As somebody who has traveled the world, lived on 3 continents and 5 countries I can only say that US is a land of extremes, meritocracies often are.....you can find the dumbest dumbasses and the worldiest people, usually within a mile....European education is a lot more uniform but I would hardly call it staggeringly better....and when it comes to geography typical inhabitant of European lands would need substantial time to find Nebraska on the map, jusy like bot US and EU brainiacs would need a minute to find Brunei....Jay Leno?s program is like fishing in a barrel with dynamite for those who want to make a point about stupidity of US since Sunset Blvd is probably the place with highest density of self absorbed morons in the world....but hey it is a free country, be all you can be and all that...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts