Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed I guess it’s been 2 weeks after I bought my giulia, that the rear right what I assume is pad sensor was broken. Not really sure how this happens accentially but it’s a little concerning. Also noticed one of the metal plates under the car was missing a bolt and got folded back, so previous owner hit stuff.

I actually have to go to the dealer tomorrow so I’ll ask them about this, but I would assume this would be covered under warranty. It should have been something they caught before that’s for sure.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,766 Posts
It should be covered. There is actually a tsb out on this in which the brake sensor connectors tend to come out of their metal bracket. The tsb fix is to zip tie them in place

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree, that looks like accidental breakage and should be covered by warranty.

On the other hand, I suspect the guy who leased my car before I purchased it with ~11,000 miles cut the wear sensors so he wouldn't have to change the rear brakes before turning in the lease. Both wires were cleanly cut in the same spot on both sides of the car and pads were almost to metal.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

On the other hand, I suspect the guy who leased my car before I purchased it with ~11,000 miles cut the wear sensors so he wouldn't have to change the rear brakes before turning in the lease. Both wires were cleanly cut in the same spot on both sides of the car and pads were almost to metal.
yeahhh my pads are pretty worn too I assume because my rotors are super scratched. Must have been a problem for a long time. Seems like a pretty big design flaw for it to not tell the car if they get cut.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
...... Seems like a pretty big design flaw for it to not tell the car if they get cut.
It's just a very rudimentary check, it checks if the wire makes contact with chassis ground, via the brake disc. So don't expect too much ;)
It's the way this works on practically all car makes

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just a very rudimantary check, it checks if the wire makes contact with chassis ground, via the brake disc. So don't expact too much ;)
ahhh that makes sense

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Just think of all the used cars out on market now that have so many issues but caravana just cuts a check.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just think of all the used cars out on market now that have so many issues but caravana just cuts a check.
Great point - I am sure stuff like this happens a lot.

I got mine from the original selling dealership where it was serviced before and after I bought it. Unfortunately, didn't catch it either. I noticed it while changing the rear brakes. Luckily, like many enthusiasts here, I look at my brakes for unusual wear. I can only imagine how bad it could be for the general population.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great point - I am sure stuff like this happens a lot.

I got mine from the original selling dealership where it was serviced before and after I bought it. Unfortunately, didn't catch it either. I noticed it while changing the rear brakes. Luckily, like many enthusiasts here, I look at my brakes for unusual wear. I can only imagine how bad it could be for the general population.
This is also why I went to a certified dealer, I didn't want to buy from carvana or something and then have a $5000 computer chip go out or something and be screwed with no warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Q4 TI Sport
84 Posts
If that happened to your rear, you may want to check your front. I changed my front brakes a few months ago and the driver front was cut, it looked like a natural accident. I was able to cut the wires and electrical tape them together, then zip-tied the wire to prevent from future occurrences.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's just a very rudimentary check, it checks if the wire makes contact with chassis ground, via the brake disc. So don't expect too much ;)
I've seen a lot of BMW vehicles that use two wires for added German complexity.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've seen a lot of BMW vehicles that use two wires for added German complexity.
it's in any way more complex system. BMW/VAG and some others use looped wire and when pads wear out wire is cut to make open circuit. Alfa uses single wire which shorts to ground when pads wear out.
disadvantage with Alfa system is that if you drive for a long time with pads warning light wire will be cut off from pads completely and warning light will disappear. also if wire is torn off - no warning.
looped wire sensors have some disadvantages too - in case if wiring is damaged on cars side you'll have to trace it which happens more often than you'd want to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts