Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just over 31k mikes on my 2017 Giulia TI and have not replaced the brakes. Most of my previous cars needed brakes around 25k miles. No track, mostly city miles. When have others need to replace their brakes? How much does the dealer charge to do front and rear?

thx

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I have just over 31k mikes on my 2017 Giulia TI and have not replaced the brakes. Most of my previous cars needed brakes around 25k miles. No track, mostly city miles. When have others need to replace their brakes? How much does the dealer charge to do front and rear?

thx
IMO that is so strongly dependent on your driving habits that no one can answer the question.
I went about 35kmiles until my original set was worn out. That was about 70-80% freeway cruising and 20-30% aggressive mountain road brake and go.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,411 Posts
Mine are about half gone, probably closer to the 3/4 mark now. 14k miles. Mostly highway, but... ~120 miles of high speed track use, heavy braking, and also an autox event thrown in there.

OEM pads front and rear ran me $430. Seeing that I didn't destroy the original ones yet, I returned them and will be getting aftermarket pads and rotors for half the price. I DIY though, so YMMV.

·
Registered
253 Posts
From what I've seen as an Alfa service advisor, these brakes tend to last super long. Cars rolling in for 40k services with 7mm plus of brake pad left. A full front and rear brake job on the car runs about $2k through us.

·
Registered
535 Posts
From what I've seen as an Alfa service advisor, these brakes tend to last super long. Cars rolling in for 40k services with 7mm plus of brake pad left. A full front and rear brake job on the car runs about $2k through us.
does that include rotors?

also, doubt you’ve seen enough to have a good idea but how are long are the steel QV pads and rotors lasting?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am planning to replace the front rotors tomorrow. Anyone know what the torque spec for the caliper mounting screws are?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I am planning to replace the front rotors tomorrow. Anyone know what the torque spec for the caliper mounting screws are?
My manual says 37 ft-lbs + 20 degrees plus replace the bolts with new. Many folks forgo the bolt replacement and put fresh thread lock on the old bolts.

Reactions: Triumph23

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine are about half gone, probably closer to the 3/4 mark now. 14k miles. Mostly highway, but... ~120 miles of high speed track use, heavy braking, and also an autox event thrown in there.

OEM pads front and rear ran me $430. Seeing that I didn't destroy the original ones yet, I returned them and will be getting aftermarket pads and rotors for half the price. I DIY though, so YMMV.
What aftermarket pads and rotors are u going for?

·
Registered
253 Posts
does that include rotors?

also, doubt you’ve seen enough to have a good idea but how are long are the steel QV pads and rotors lasting?
Yes that includes rotors. Only done one set of Stelvio QV brakes. Guy tracked the car hard and they were toast in 4k miles. Haven't done any Giulia QV brakes yet.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,411 Posts
What aftermarket pads and rotors are u going for?
For daily use, probably R1 Concepts oe pads. Track, not sure, there are a lot that I am eying at the moment. See the sticky topic I created where I have a spreadsheet linked.

Reactions: Vangiulia

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I just replaced the front rotors and pads with Zimmermann Z-coat sport cross drilled discs and Ferodo Eco-friction pads which came with correct pad sensors, sping clips bit no caliper slide pins. I re-used the OE ones after cleaning. All went ok except on the last slide pin, it decided to seize solid and I needed to soak it with release spray overnight and get it hot and punch it out after a lot of cursing. I have the smaller 305mm rotors (UK, 2.0 200hp Super remapped to 330hp not the Veloce 280hp). Rotors cost me UK GBP £120, Pads £80 so £200 (~$260). The OE Brembo rotors were badly rusted in the centre. Put everything back together with high temp ceramic grease on the back of pads and shims. Medium strength Loctite threadlock on the caliper bolts torqued up to 50 Nm (+20 degrees as suggested). Wheel bolts to 120 Nm.
20200113_180414.jpg
20200113_182251.jpg
20200131_142511.jpg
20200202_112427.jpg

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My manual says 37 ft-lbs + 20 degrees plus replace the bolts with new. Many folks forgo the bolt replacement and put fresh thread lock on the old bolts.
Just found the tech manual copy I had saved ages ago and noticed a couple of entries for Caliper bolts which confuses me now after having fitted the new rotors.
1. Brake Caliper Adapter to Knuckle Bolts - Front - 50 Nm Plus 20 degrees.
2. Brake Caliper to Caliper Adaptor Bolts - Front - 105 Nm which is twice the above.

The bolt I am referring to is the T55 Torx head screw - 2off, one of which you can see in the caliper photo in post above. I torqued upto 50 Nm+20deg. So what is the other bolt they are talking about?? These bolts were fairly easy to remove by hand and did not feel like they were at 105 Nm when removed. Confused!

Br Torque.jpg

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Bump.. @Crosshairs any idea what the correct Torque figure is for the 2 off T55 Torx screws from the table I have posted above? I have been told 50 Nm by a couple of people but the manual now confuses me and I am getting restless in case I have torqued up too low.

The ones marked with arrow here. Ignore my son's hand, he wanted to help..lol!

20200203_225529.jpg

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Bump.. @Crosshairs any idea what the correct Torque figure is for the 2 off T55 Torx screws from the table I have posted above? I have been told 50 Nm by a couple of people but the manual now confuses me and I am getting restless in case I have torqued up too low.

The ones marked with arrow here. Ignore my son's hand, he wanted to help..lol!

View attachment 94974
LOL, yeah typical service info ..I dont know what they mean by caliper adapter since the caliper bolts directly to the knuckle.... but 77Ft lbs sounds like a lot for a caliper mount.........if it were my car, I would put some never seize on the bolts and just snug them down real good . I dont see the exact torque being super critical for those

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
LOL, yeah typical service info ..I dont know what they mean by caliper adapter since the caliper bolts directly to the knuckle.... but 77Ft lbs sounds like a lot for a caliper mount.........if it were my car, I would put some never seize on the bolts and just snug them down real good . I dont see the exact torque being super critical for those
That's what I thought. 37 lb ft sounded more like it so I went with that. I thought it mounted direct to the knuckle, then this kinda made me think I was going blind! Lol. I put some Loctite thread lock and did it tight. Phew. Cheers bud.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That's what I thought. 37 lb ft sounded more like it so I went with that. I thought it mounted direct to the knuckle, then this kinda made me think I was going blind! Lol. I put some Loctite thread lock and did it tight. Phew. Cheers bud.
perfect.....and not sure why I wrote never seize .. I meant Loctite...:)

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,411 Posts
10 seconds later...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts