Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Brake Pad Search

13K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Alfissimo 
#1 ·
Looking for some basic advice on certain brands for brake pads. I'm at ~21,750 miles and I'm getting the "Service Brake Pads" warning light which is a bit weird for me. Then again this is the most sporty car I've ever owned. I do about 55% highway 45% city driving, I've done one light track day (3 laps at Watkins Glen, not full speed) and probably 20-25 "spirited driving" runs going fairly hard. 2018 Q4 Ti Sport and I'm doing some research on pads and found a decent deal on EBC brake pads (Redstuff). Are these good pads (performance rated)? Also, I don't feel like getting robbed for the parts & labor at the dealer, but if I go to another shop (I know a couple of people) will the Brake Pad Warning light disappear once new pads are installed? Any advice would be great, thanks.

#2 ·
You will need the scan tool to reset the light now that's it on. Do some searching on the forms on how to change your pads, it's not like every other car especially if you bleed them. My personal experience is to stay away from EBC and get some centric semi metallic pads from Rock Auto. If you need rotors, I would look at giro disc but those are top shelf and stay away from cheap Chinese discs.

#3 · (Edited)
Come see me. We have ST-43 Raybetsos and Porterfield R4S pads.I also have access to other pads but these are the two best for track and street. I just put in an order and pads are being manufactured now. So I expect them done by end of the week or next. St-43 (Track pad) do not come with sensors, RS4 do

#4 ·
Come see me. We have ST-43 Raybetsos and Porterfield R4S pads. I agree stay away from EBC or Centric. I also have access to other pads but these are the two best for track and street. I just put in an order and pads are being manufactured now. So I expect them done by end of the week or next. St-43 (Track pad) do not come with sensors, RS4 do
I respectfully disagree with not using centric semi metallic pads, or if you want ceramic pads the power stop pads are also good. If you need race pads then that's a different story. If you need every day driving pads, choosing centric or stop tech you won't go wrong. OEM pads are way over priced for what you get.

#7 ·
I just got "Check brake pads" warning - doesnt stay on all the time just comes and goes

have done 68,000 klms

what are other people's readings ? - excluding track, just normal city/urban

and also i read in the manual something about using genuine parts as some parts may not be compatible with the Intelligent Braking System - what sort of parts could possibly interfere with the software ?

#11 ·
Just changed mine last Thursday with 46000 km mainly freeway+ 5 track days.
No light warning but the fronts were worn to the sensor cable. (Replaced both front and rear) Rotors were still good, no need for resurfacing, I'll change them with the next pad change.
EBC yellowstuff was my choice, they bite better then the stock, but remember the stocks were nearly done.
Lot of brake dust on the rims, wondering if its from the wear in, hopefully they won't be as dusty moving on.
With every aftermarket brake pad you'll have to reuse the springs and bolts, while the OEM come with new ones with a higher price tag (compering to EBC)

#8 ·
Nice thread. For Alfissimo:

Couple of questions... My Giulia is at 45,250 miles and needs brakes in the next 3,000 miles. Looking at the Porterfield R4-S's. Do you recommend disk replacement or resurfacing? They caliper at .7mm below factory, with a spec for rotor replacement at 1mm, as I understand it.

Seeing that the R4-S were customer ordered/manufactured, what has the feedback been during the last two months? Do you a lot of units out there yet, or is it still an early-adopter community?

Thanks in advance Jason,

#9 · (Edited)
I am not a fan of resurfacing, We have never done it in the past with Alfa's and I am not starting now. There is a min. thickness and if you are worn already and rotors are resurfaced your just throwing away money as the life is reduced. In-fact there is more surface area with grooved or uneven rotors. Resurfacing worked on old school rotors bit not today. Replace the rotors, resurfacing is just a bandaid. The R4-s are easy on rotors. Feedback is fantastic grip and good wear. I have sold a lot so far. Let's just say I am probably largest supplier of these for Alfa's. The more customers that use them the more they like them. I just got a text today about pads I sold to a customer, states the pads are great!

I would not hesitate.

#17 ·
checking shop manual again.

2.5 mm fronts, 2.0 mm rears, if I'm interpreting the manual correctly. see here:

#20 ·
Best reason to not pay good money for the 2017 FCA Shop Manual USB. Rife with that kind of omission and inaccuracy. Even FCA TechAuthority online has that "close enough" POV.

Reactions: Papa Gallo
#23 ·
I got EBV Yellowstuff on my Veloce for a month and I'm already thinking of swapping them with the OEM.They bite good,slightly better then the stocks, but they are very dusty and extremely noisy pads for city. For the noise im not sure whether they are compatible with the compound of the rotors(oem) or they are just noisy.I still haven't tested them on a track (going this friday) and most likely I'll get rid of them after

#28 ·
They don't list the manufacturer. Id rather buy from places like rock auto or...

Where you could get brembo, zimmerman, powerstop, centric all for under 500 bucks for all pads and rotors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.