Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 QV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen a few videos of QV hazards flashing on braking at high speed ( where read tail lights would flash -- is this a setting in the car .. ??i could of sworn my car had this ? now at high speeds and any mode its not activating .

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,189 Posts
ive seen a few videos of QV hazards flashing on braking at high speed ( where read tail lights would flash -- is this a setting in the car .. ??i could of sworn my car had this ? now at high speeds and any mode its not activating .
Never seen that. Do you have an example?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,189 Posts

·
Registered
2021 QV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never seen that. Do you have an example?
see video -- on braking hazards will flash .. i recall this on my car -- but now its not activating

·
Vendor
4,203 Posts
I've seen Japan version does that too. May be via MES you can set up? I don't see it anywhere though. May be changing county code?
Yes country code. I have mine set to EU rear lamps. I do not think it does it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
BMW and some other german brands do this. They call it Adaptive Brake Lights or Brake Force Display.

Alfa has a lot of catching up for these kinds of features. another example is passenger mirror dip in reverse.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
to be honest I've not tried it but if anyone with MES wants to test it feel free. report back if it works.
byte 60 bit 7:
0xxxxxxx - tail lights flashing on emergency braking;
1xxxxxxx - no tail lights flashing on emergency braking;

can't remember from which speed it starts to work 40km/h? 60km/h? but I think deceleration needs to be somewhere around 7m/s per second.

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,182 Posts
If this works it's going to make me get mes finally.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
169 Posts
Why would you want to enable this? From what I’ve heard, everyone hates it. I personally would hate to constantly hear the hazard sound every time I drive enthusiastically.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,774 Posts
Why would you want to enable this? From what I’ve heard, everyone hates it. I personally would hate to constantly hear the hazard sound every time I drive enthusiastically.
The primary purpose is to reduce the chance of getting rear ended when driving in traffic.

Mercedes used to advertise multi-brightness brake lights. I do not think they offer it any more.
Somehow I think this is not legal under DOT rules. Emergency flashers are reserved for emergencies, although I use them to signal "do not hit me" at construction stops as well as "thank you" when a person takes a turn out so that I can pass. Kits exist for some cars to make the brake lights flicker when you first apply the brakes. I am pretty sure that those kits are illegal in the USA.

I for one really hate blinky bicycle lights. Even so I think blinky automotive brake lights to indicate hard braking are a good thing. A good compromise would be to make only the third high light blink when braking hard. In any case the emergency flasher interior noise maker should not come on due to a braking event.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The primary purpose is to reduce the chance of getting rear ended when driving in traffic.

Mercedes used to advertise multi-brightness brake lights. I do not think they offer it any more.
Somehow I think this is not legal under DOT rules. Emergency flashers are reserved for emergencies, although I use them to signal "do not hit me" at construction stops as well as "thank you" when a person takes a turn out so that I can pass. Kits exist for some cars to make the brake lights flicker when you first apply the brakes. I am pretty sure that those kits are illegal in the USA.

I for one really hate blinky bicycle lights. Even so I think blinky automotive brake lights to indicate hard braking are a good thing. A good compromise would be to make only the third high light blink when braking hard. In any case the emergency flasher interior noise maker should not come on due to a braking event.
Alfa could easily fix this by using the rear fog light under hard braking very similar to how bmw does it. It becomes a second level of brightness to the brake lights

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
169 Posts
@lockem I still don’t see the need and having to hear the hazard sound would be unbelievably annoying on a country road. I’ve also rarely been forced to brake that hard in the first place. I always leave enough space so I don’t have to and if there isn’t space, it’s usually because I’m stuck in traffic. Turning on hazards manually is enough.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,774 Posts
@lockem I still don’t see the need and having to hear the hazard sound would be unbelievably annoying on a country road. I’ve also rarely been forced to brake that hard in the first place. I always leave enough space so I don’t have to and if there isn’t space, it’s usually because I’m stuck in traffic. Turning on hazards manually is enough.
When braking hard attempting to find and hit the emergency flasher switch is not really viable. If not braking hard why bother?
The emergency flashers are really too slow anyway. Rapid flashing such as 4-8 flashes/second would be more appropriate. Need to avoid the frequency range that causes some people's brains to freeze though (5 to 30 flashes/second according to epilepsy.com)...

·
Registered
2017 TI Lusso Q4
74 Posts
This post made me remember that I actually made this change with AlfaOBD, with some insight from @shpuncik but sadly I haven't had anyone behind me to tell me if it works.

I like the concept but not sure if I'll keep it (if it does work). Ironically when we bought my wife's jeep the dealer installed a module that did this on the 3rd brake light and tried to sneak it in for $499. I told them to remove it lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts