Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a slight knocking,tapping,ticking noise during moderate to hard braking. Appears to be related to the ABS. Brand new car and has always been there. Unfortunately the dealer is a ways away. Anyone else know of or have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)
Congrats on the new Giulia :grin2:

I've never noticed any ticking noise with my Ti. Maybe I'm not braking hard enough to kick in the ABS.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome from me too!

How many miles on those brakes? Could even be something silly like some debries in the pad, see if you can see anything otherwise excercise the warranty and demand a QV loaner ;)

Keep us informed

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I've got a slight knocking,tapping,ticking noise during moderate to hard braking. Appears to be related to the ABS. Brand new car and has always been there. Unfortunately the dealer is a ways away. Anyone else know of or have any ideas on this?
Just to avoid embarrassment, please make sure you don't have anything loose running around on the floor or trunk. It's all too common...

Are you braking hard enough to activate the ABS? Unless your tires are slippery (often happens with brand new tires) you should have to brake very hard to activate the ABS. I believe the brake controller is mounted on the firewall, so it has potential to make some noise that you can hear in the cabin, although I have not observed this in the car I have driven.

If the noise is periodic and varies with the wheel speed, I would suspect a bad disk. Is this a QV or standard Giulia? I think the QV disks are drilled and a slight flaw (something that might clean up with a file or sandpaper) in the drilling might click. If you have CCMs I would panic at this point, since that might indicate a disk is cracked (damaged in shipping?).

Anyway, I would insist that the dealer send a tow truck since brake problems can turn ugly very quickly.

If you have AAA I think you can go to them for a free safety inspection.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I just thought of one more "check it right now" item: make certain that all of your lug bolts are tight!
Once in a while some piece of debris gets caught between the hub and the wheel allowing it to wiggle a little when a lot of force is applied.

Regarding debris on the brake pad, my Jag E-type had a "clever" brake design so that it constantly had this problem, but the symptom was a "finger nails on a chalk board" screeching coupled with tell-tale grooves in the disks. Pull the pucks, nothing there (it fell off during puck removal) re-install and the brakes are quiet for another 1000 miles or so.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. It's more like an audible ticking and it occurs before ABS intervention with moderate and steady pressure. I've done break in speed to stop procedures to seat the brake pads and the brakes perform normally. There's a Fiat dealer near by and they should be able to assess the situation. I don't believe it's a danger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi drdon,

I am having the very same issue as yours. I have Ti with rear wheel drive. Dealer initially reported a rotor defect and replaced rotors and pads. Didn't work. I also am far from the dealer. Please let me know if you find the root cause.

Thanks!

Karl

Thanks for the input. It's more like an audible ticking and it occurs before ABS intervention with moderate and steady pressure. I've done break in speed to stop procedures to seat the brake pads and the brakes perform normally. There's a Fiat dealer near by and they should be able to assess the situation. I don't believe it's a danger.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I was reading in another thread that you tracked your car and cooked the brakes. I bet there's a connection.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I was reading in another thread that you tracked your car and cooked the brakes. I bet there's a connection.
Woah, good find. Maybe he cooked the electronics as well? Motors or switches?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Add mine to the list. Sounds like a warped rotor without the shakes.

Dealer has the car and replacing front brakes....

Have a loaner Giulia and same noise. No hard driving or tracking here, just normal driving in South Florida heat.

I think it could also be the brake booster pump, assuming its electric...

Let us know how the fix goes...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Or is it relays flashing the hazzards or tail lights? How does the safety system work?

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Or is it relays flashing the hazzards or tail lights? How does the safety system work?
Giulia does flash the hazards automatically under some conditions. I have seen this in other European cars and think if the ESC is doing anything to keep the car on the road the hazards come on--"warning out of control driver!"

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is not the flashers, this noise happens in light/normal driving. Raining yesterday and got the noise. I will try and record it soon. Knocking in brakes...or thumping...sounds like warped rotors but without the shake. I can't remember if brake pedal pulsates or not. Doesn't happen all the time.

Took a video but won't upload, can I email to someone who can help...thanks in advance

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This issue is not from any abuse or "COOKING THE BRAKES". I'm sure it is not related to the calipers or rotors as the sound is probably due to the electrics and not the mechanicals. It was first noticed after returning home and prior to my seating the brake pad procedure. Actually I was hoping it would go away after that brief session which was not intended to get the brakes hot. I've seated brake pads on all the new cars and numerous motorcycles I've owned (currently KTM 1290 Super Duke). One other forum member describes the same issue. To repeat, the brakes work fine. I have not used them hard enough for the ABS to intervene but will do so when I get a few more miles on them.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Yes but what is cause and what is effect? Nobody else complained of cooked brakes on the track so maybe an underlying brake system defect is the cause of both the noise and the problem on the track?

If the wheels, lugs and brakes pass a basic inspection, it is time to get AR involved.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It is not the flashers, this noise happens in light/normal driving. Raining yesterday and got the noise. I will try and record it soon. Knocking in brakes...or thumping...sounds like warped rotors but without the shake. I can't remember if brake pedal pulsates or not. Doesn't happen all the time.

Took a video but won't upload, can I email to someone who can help...thanks in advance
You'll need to upload the video to a video hosting site, such as YouTube. Then you can post the link here. There is a minimum post count before being able to post any link, I think it's set at ten posts.

The wiper system is connected to the brake system. In normal dry weather, the pads retract from the rotors to reduce drag. In wet weather, when you turn on the wipers, the pads return to a normal minor drag to keep the rotors wiped dry for better braking response. I haven't driven in the rain yet, but others have expressed a dislike about how this works. Something similar to a pulsing sensation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting, I wonder if the system is misreading our high humidity in Sputh Florida As wet road conditions. If so, even just minor application of the brakes in our hot weather could be heating up the brakes. Both cars have less than 300 mikes...Still my favorite car to date...l haven't had my car more than 48hrs since leasing it June 30th because of this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After having the front pads and rotors replaced, and having the brakes apart myself yesterday and finding nothing, I have to concur that the issue may be electronic. In other words a 'brake by wire' pulsing of the brake pressure under moderate to hard braking.

VERY interested in hearing your solutions, as I don't plan on taking the car back to the dealer anytime soon (far away).

Thanks!

Karl

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I had my Ti up in the mountains over the weekend. Pushed her hard chasing 4Cs and then a motorcycle. Granted our humidity level is quite low here in the desert, but it was in the 100f range and I don't drive like Miss Daisy. I most definitely got on the brakes hard, more than once with never an issue or a pulse. About 800 miles on the car now.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The Rain Brake Assist system doesn't have a humidity sensor. It's linked to the wipers.

Also, the hazards don't flash because of ABS or ESC intervention. They flash when deceleration is above a certain threshold (different thresholds in n/a and in d/race).

1 - 20 of 163 Posts