Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
2017 Giulia TI Sport
1 Posts
Hi Giulia experts. I need a little guidance.

I just replaced front and rear pads on my 2018 Guilia 2.0 Q4. I decided to do it myself as I've done brakes on other cars without issues. The car has 29,500 miles. Old pads were about 3mm rear and 6.5mm front. For the new pads used EBC "yellow stuff" pads. All rotors were inspected and measured and were still very close to the original thickness and looked fine, so I opted not to replace them this time.

The job seemed to go well, pads were replaced without any issues. However, after starting the car and driving it cautiously I noted:

1. Numerous faults are indicated on the cluster:
- Service Electronic Parking Brake
- Service Brake System
- AST Service Required
- ESC Service ESC System
- ESC Service Hill Hold Control
- FCW Limited Functionality Front Camera Service required
2. Car pulls to the right when braking. Anti-lock functionality not working.
3. Based on rotor temperature (just feeling by touch of hand), only the front right and rear left brakes are actually working. (Note_ After a drive with plenty of braking, the front right and rear left rotors were very hot to touch. The front left and rear right rotors both ice cold).

I did bleed out the fluid at each caliper when pushing the pistons in. I topped up the reservoir afterward to make up for the loss.

My cheap code reader isn't seeing any codes. And no - turning the steering wheel from lock to lock does not reset anything.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Taking it to the Stealership is an option of course!

Thanks,
Martyn
Had the exact same issue. Figured out what happened thanks to this thread (local shop didn't disconnect the battery prior to changing the rotors). Bought the MES scanner from @Alfissimo and cleared the error codes. All issues gone.

· Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Had the exact same issue. Figured out what happened thanks to this thread (local shop didn't disconnect the battery prior to changing the rotors). Bought the MES scanner from @Alfissimo and cleared the error codes. All issues gone.
There has been some useful feedback on this issue and next time I do brakes, I’ll be a lot more careful!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Soooo.
Wish I had found this thread before today.
Just replaced the rear brake pads on my 2019 Veloce and am having the same issue. Done dozens before on other cars so didn't find it difficult at all.
I can see that its disabled a diagonal circuit probably because I pushed the pistons back too far and/or didn't disconnect the battery.
Either way I think I will need the system reset I think

I downloaded the MES tool just in case but it detects that I have a SGW so I assume I would need to by-pass this to even do the reset?
Also do you know if the 50euro registration is enough for the software or would it need the multiplex version registration.

Probably going to just have to bite the bullet and go to the dealer but it annoys me when I can do it myself. lol

Thanks
Ian

· Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
The 50 euro cost is what I paid and with an SGW bypass installed I was able to reset all the codes. The SGW bypass is awkwardly located but I found by loosening the air bag mount below the steering wheel and moving out of the way, I could reach the connectors, and unplug them to install the bypass.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Also do you know if the 50euro registration is enough for the software or would it need the multiplex version registration.
50euro is enough. you'll need though grey/blue adapters. at least for you brake job you need grey adapter. multiplexed is just uses different scanner which doesn't require those adapters.

· Registered
90 Posts
Hi Giulia experts. I need a little guidance.

I just replaced front and rear pads on my 2018 Guilia 2.0 Q4. I decided to do it myself as I've done brakes on other cars without issues. The car has 29,500 miles. Old pads were about 3mm rear and 6.5mm front. For the new pads used EBC "yellow stuff" pads. All rotors were inspected and measured and were still very close to the original thickness and looked fine, so I opted not to replace them this time.

The job seemed to go well, pads were replaced without any issues. However, after starting the car and driving it cautiously I noted:

1. Numerous faults are indicated on the cluster:
- Service Electronic Parking Brake
- Service Brake System
- AST Service Required
- ESC Service ESC System
- ESC Service Hill Hold Control
- FCW Limited Functionality Front Camera Service required
2. Car pulls to the right when braking. Anti-lock functionality not working.
3. Based on rotor temperature (just feeling by touch of hand), only the front right and rear left brakes are actually working. (Note_ After a drive with plenty of braking, the front right and rear left rotors were very hot to touch. The front left and rear right rotors both ice cold).

I did bleed out the fluid at each caliper when pushing the pistons in. I topped up the reservoir afterward to make up for the loss.

My cheap code reader isn't seeing any codes. And no - turning the steering wheel from lock to lock does not reset anything.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Taking it to the Stealership is an option of course!

Thanks,
Martyn
I have a stupid question?
DO YOU NEED anything else besides ROTORs and PADs to do the brakeson a GIULIA Ti Q4?

· Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just a few tools (hex wrench, sockets, etc.), a car jack and some thin disposable gloves or your hands will be very dirty!! You might also want to use some brake grease and anti-squeal compound. I also bought some DOT3 brake fluid in case it needed topping up.
If you disconnect the battery before starting it should go well. I didn’t have any issues. The pads come with wear sensors and you’ll need to make sure the wires are routed properly when you install them.

· Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I’m still on original rotors at 40,000 miles. Rears were close to the wear sensor at about 30,000, fronts were still okay but I did all 4 at same time. I measured the rotor thickness and all were well in spec. I’ll probably do rotors at next pad swap.

· Registered
488 Posts
<snip>
I also bought some DOT3 brake fluid in case it needed topping up.
</snip>
FYI - you should toss that DOT 3 fluid and get some DOT 4.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Reactions: Martyn

· Registered
4 Posts
Quick update from me in case its useful for others.
Got a cheep ebay SGW bypass for £15 (cant really be left in place like the better ones but that doesn't bother me)
Bought the 50euro MES Software licence which was fine.
As shpuncik said I did need the grey / number 6 adapter cable which I didn't have! So made my own form an old ODB2 connecter from a salvaged MX5 loom I had lying around. Its really just changing the 2 canbus data lines to other pins so not too bad but I may make a better one at some point.

This worked a treat and after connecting to the ABS module detecting the hydraulic leak fault code and clearing it all is now back to normal. Easy when you know how 😄.

Thanks for all the advice on here.
Ian

· Registered
949 Posts
Quick update from me in case its useful for others.
Got a cheep ebay SGW bypass for £15 (cant really be left in place like the better ones but that doesn't bother me)
Bought the 50euro MES Software licence which was fine.
As shpuncik said I did need the grey / number 6 adapter cable which I didn't have! So made my own form an old ODB2 connecter from a salvaged MX5 loom I had lying around. Its really just changing the 2 canbus data lines to other pins so not too bad but I may make a better one at some point.

This worked a treat and after connecting to the ABS module detecting the hydraulic leak fault code and clearing it all is now back to normal. Easy when you know how 😄.

Thanks for all the advice on here.
Ian
Thanks McGuyver.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts