Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,070 Posts
For the record, I got my caliper replaced due to fade under warranty.

Steer away from wheel cleaners. I think that’s what may have caused it to fade prematurely.
^^^This. I do not use wheel cleaners and after a year I have no apparent fade--the calipers look like new. Some minor scuffing of the wheels, due to abrasion by dirt.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just took my QV to the detail shop for a 1 month checkup on my carbon ceramic coating. I had 2 gripes I wanted them to fix, one the exhaust wasnt immaculate before they coated it and the second was the brake calipers weren't clean either. They took care of the exhaust no problem. But when it came to the calipers they said that its not just dirt/grime under the coating because they remember them being clean.

Now when I inspect them it seems that they are in fact fading/wearing oddly not just dirt trapped under the coating. If you look at the pictures there is discoloration just above the rim and streak like discoloration below the "A" in the Alfa script.

One other idea that came up was the wheel cleaner eating the paint but I've only used non acid, ph neutral cleaners; and the coating was still on.

So, my questions to y'all: Do any of you with some millage on your Giulia's (I bought mine with 15K) notice the same thing? If it's in fact fading as it seems, would that be covered by the warranty?

Cheers,
The owners manual for these cars, (who reads that) (at least mine for 2019 Giulia Ti Sport) clearly states not to allow
ANY wheel cleaners to contact the calipers. All the blemished calipers I have seen on these cars, I believe have had some kind of wheel cleaner used. Now the real mystery. For a part like this that is subject to just about the harshest environment on the vehicle, why are these calipers not clear coated?? Unbelievable! The sad part is, I have seen NEW cars on dealers lots here in the US where the finish on the calipers has been destroyed.......by dealer prep using wheel cleaner!! THEY haven't even read the owners manual. This whole problem could have been solved if some engineer had spec'd clearcoat on the calipers, Oops!

·
Registered
8 Posts
An update on cause for UK owners. Had mine two years, used power wash and hand cleaning during that time no issues. Then For first time I used at the Tesco power wash specifically the hot foam option on the wheels and within a week it turned my calipers from pristine to faded. Paint shop says these power washes contain some sort of acid cleaning agent that reacts badly with the Brembo clear coat which they use to give the deep red in my case. Don’t use the foam option!

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
1,070 Posts
My Yellow calipers looked faded, but then I actually cleaned them good and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I had been using Griot's pH balanced cleaner or whatever it's called. I remember reading that someone used Scratch X to bring back the shine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
On one of my others cars which I bought used, the OEM red calipers had faded considerably, nearly pink.

A thorough wipe down clean of the calipers, followed by a couple of coats of a high temp gloss clear aerosol paint, has them still looking equal to new, now 5 years later.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,857 Posts
I did my rear pads so took the opportunity to clean them very well with a safe Chemical Guys cleaner, and then rubbed on one of their ceramic coatings. Time will tell.
Link to products? when I swap my track setup on, I'd like to get them sparkling.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,857 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
I ended up getting that Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner stuff, and also the Decon Pro Iron Remover and Wheel Cleaner. Maybe that ceramic stuff would be a good idea too.

Thanks.
I will say that I cleaned and applied that like I was swaddling a baby. Hard to believe that all the work I used to do on my previous cars... including a 76’ Alfetta GTV that I spent more time under, than in... that anything I do on this car, I act like I’m handling a live warhead.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
357 Posts
I spray a few coats of VHT clear caliper paint over them, and the color is usually restored and also protected for years to come.

However this requiers the calipers to be as clean as possible and wheels removed.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts