Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my QV to the detail shop for a 1 month checkup on my carbon ceramic coating. I had 2 gripes I wanted them to fix, one the exhaust wasnt immaculate before they coated it and the second was the brake calipers weren't clean either. They took care of the exhaust no problem. But when it came to the calipers they said that its not just dirt/grime under the coating because they remember them being clean.

Now when I inspect them it seems that they are in fact fading/wearing oddly not just dirt trapped under the coating. If you look at the pictures there is discoloration just above the rim and streak like discoloration below the "A" in the Alfa script.

One other idea that came up was the wheel cleaner eating the paint but I've only used non acid, ph neutral cleaners; and the coating was still on.

So, my questions to y'all: Do any of you with some millage on your Giulia's (I bought mine with 15K) notice the same thing? If it's in fact fading as it seems, would that be covered by the warranty?

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Steel brakes put out a LOT OF DUST !!! I've got the CCB and rims and calipers are like new....Soap and water....Zero Dust !!!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
^^^^what he said...I have the Steelies and yeah they put out quite a bit of brake dust and I'm guessing when that caustic crap sits on those calipers it will discolor some...
my detail-guy takes the rims off to give the calipers a good cleaning...but in the end not much you can do..I had the same issue with the Brembos on my M3 and M5....the gloss black calipers started to lose their luster/gloss after a bit...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Darn it

Here I was getting my hopes up that the calipers would need to be repainted anyway in time because the factory paint will wear off and I could use that as my excuse to get yellow powder coated. We have CCM brakes so it sounds like they don't do the paint damage to the calipers. Darn it. If they will need painting it is a long way off. So now I am left justifying that I just like the color better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Its not dust related. Ive had my car 12 months and the calipers are like new. Its a chemical reaction. you can see the runs in the haze its caused in the clearcoat. Ive seen another QV whos calipers have gone a lighter red after heavy track use but that was heat changing the colour. I think in this case its a chemical thats been used to clean the wheels and sat too long on the clearcoat or alternatively the brakes have weeped some fluid which hasnt been wiped off properly. I have brembo calipers on GT3/4 and they all have the same 2 pak paint with clearcoat. I have had this issue once before on my 2017 Focus RS (Brembo front) but it was caused by brake fluid weeping. Your car has done a bit of mileage so I wonder if the front pads were replaced at some stage. They dont last more than 15k miles looking at my wear rates....just some ideas

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not dust related. Ive had my car 12 months and the calipers are like new. Its a chemical reaction. you can see the runs in the haze its caused in the clearcoat. Ive seen another QV whos calipers have gone a lighter red after heavy track use but that was heat changing the colour. I think in this case its a chemical thats been used to clean the wheels and sat too long on the clearcoat or alternatively the brakes have weeped some fluid which hasnt been wiped off properly. I have brembo calipers on GT3/4 and they all have the same 2 pak paint with clearcoat. I have had this issue once before on my 2017 Focus RS (Brembo front) but it was caused by brake fluid weeping. Your car has done a bit of mileage so I wonder if the front pads were replaced at some stage. They dont last more than 15k miles looking at my wear rates....just some ideas
I appreciate the input. I should have noted that all 4 have some sort of discoloration on them. Of course I dont know how the previous owner cleaned/maintained the wheel/calipers but I do know they were an executive at FCA. So they should have done everything correctly...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^what he said...I have the Steelies and yeah they put out quite a bit of brake dust and I'm guessing when that caustic crap sits on those calipers it will discolor some...
my detail-guy takes the rims off to give the calipers a good cleaning...but in the end not much you can do..I had the same issue with the Brembos on my M3 and M5....the gloss black calipers started to lose their luster/gloss after a bit...
Steel brakes put out a LOT OF DUST !!! I've got the CCB and rims and calipers are like new....Soap and water....Zero Dust !!!
So what you're saying is the previous owner most likely didn't clean the calipers often enough and the brake dust ate away sections?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've cleaned many rims in my life and I refuse to believe that brake dust is not the main culprit...For sure, using a caustic cleaning agent will surely dull the clear coat, but brake dust etches rims and calipers alike....Absolutely leaky brake fluid can be a contributing factor as well as the previous owner's negligence (if indeed he/she was)...But I certainly see a difference in the ease of maintenance of my rims with the CCB and I'm over 9 K miles.....So let's just say that everything has an effect....but I'd rather have no brake dust than mega brake dust.....D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've cleaned many rims in my life and I refuse to believe that brake dust is not the main culprit...For sure, using a caustic cleaning agent will surely dull the clear coat, but brake dust etches rims and calipers alike....Absolutely leaky brake fluid can be a contributing factor as well as the previous owner's negligence (if indeed he/she was)...But I certainly see a difference in the ease of maintenance of my rims with the CCB and I'm over 9 K miles.....So let's just say that everything has an effect....but I'd rather have no brake dust than mega brake dust.....D
I hear you but if it was "merely" brake dust etching the calipers and dulling the paint wouldn't the rims show signs of that kind of negligent wear also?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I hear you but if it was "merely" brake dust etching the calipers and dulling the paint wouldn't the rims show signs of that kind of negligent wear also?
Perhaps the previous owner ceramic coated rims ? I mean there are a lot of variables here because you're not the 1st owner....but there's also some $$$$$ in your pocket because you're not the 1st owner !!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
So what you're saying is the previous owner most likely didn't clean the calipers often enough and the brake dust ate away sections?
I can't/won't speak to what what done previously to your car.
This is what I will tell you about my QV. I have owned it since new (1.5 years), the detail guy I use...is very professional, and the cars there are all high end to exotic...so I know he uses the correct cleaning agents....I even bitched a little asking why are they a bit dull...didn't he clean them LOL
I believe that over time the dust/heat does harm the finish....just my opinion...BTW I also track my car....not to the extreme like some fellows here...but I have already had the pads changed

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
Tirerack reports that brake dust is both corrosive and abrasive. I would think that high temperature flying brake pad particles are not good for nearby painted surfaces, but I am not sure that they can hit the caliper.

To date I have not noticed any discoloration of my wheels or calipers on my Q4. I have also not noticed a lot of brake dust on the wheels or any issue with cleaning the wheels. I did have the face of my wheels ceramic coated and I think they did the calipers. It is not clear to me that you want the barrel coated, as that may make balancing the wheel difficult because the weights won't adhere properly. Tirerack recommends regular waxing of wheels and calipers to prevent finish deterioration.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268093

I do not use any special wheel cleaner or brush, just the same No Rinse Wash & Shine by OPT and Eagle brand microfiber towels that I use on the rest of the exterior of the car.

That said, I only got the car from the PPF installer in late Feb. So maybe things will change as time goes on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perhaps the previous owner ceramic coated rims ? I mean there are a lot of variables here because you're not the 1st owner....but there's also some $$$$$ in your pocket because you're not the 1st owner !!!! :laugh:
Yeah, very true..Maybe I'll have to make MINIME super jealous and get em painted yellow :p the detail guy kept trying to push that anyways.

I can't/won't speak to what what done previously to your car.
This is what I will tell you about my QV. I have owned it since new (1.5 years), the detail guy I use...is very professional, and the cars there are all high end to exotic...so I know he uses the correct cleaning agents....I even bitched a little asking why are they a bit dull...didn't he clean them LOL
I believe that over time the dust/heat does harm the finish....just my opinion...BTW I also track my car....not to the extreme like some fellows here...but I have already had the pads changed
Ok, so you're saying you are seeing some dulling/fading even though your detail guy is taking great care of them. I'm not sure if that's relieving or disappointing.

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
In contrast...I've seen no fading of the caliper color....I've done nothing special to my rims or calipers...I do wash the car often....but I do have CCB and see little to no dust.....D
9500 miles as of today....

·
Registered
12 Posts
****. I've got the exact same fade with a month of ownership.

I think it was Plum Wheel Cleaner that did it. It's supposed to be non-caustic. But does react with brake dust to dissolve.

I've never had this problem before with that product. I might swing by my dealer to discuss.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Sun exposure and puddle splashes can also introduce wear and tear. I like the before and after photos of the Goo Gone treatment. I use Mothers California Gold car wash-n-wax. The white haze looks like sun damage, the dribbles like nasty chemicals on the road.

I can also attest to getting rid of metallic brake pads. The fronts on a Quad are easily replaced by 2011 Lexus ISF or other Maserati pads. The rears are impossible to find, although they are the same as Ti fronts. I made a custom set. Ti ceramics may re-appear later this year. The difference is incredible. But also note, the Quad front calipers are extremely tight and close to the wheel spokes. Debris and gravel can get caught and score the paint on the caliper. Even still, I think a good detail shop could correct the paint if the Goo Gone doesn't work.

Yellow calipers are awesome. Show you Ferrari DNA. Flaunt them if you have them, or get them if you can. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts