Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Looking for recommendations on brake bleeding tools for the Giulia, and if anyone has the proper procedure from the service manual. I found a post for the QV procedure however, unsure if it is the same. Found a Schwaben brake bleeder from ECS tuning, cannot post a link as this is my first post. Will this work?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Ive seen the Motiv bleeders also. Just not sure if the abs pump or brake system needs to be activated through Multi for it to actually bleed.
As long as you don’t drain the fluid in the master cylinder below the “low” mark, you should not have to activate the ABS pump. I have the Motive bleeder and have used it on other vehicles, but haven’t had the opportunity to use it on the Alfa. I basically use it like a pump to pressurize the master as I open the various bleeders. Of course I have to depressurize it and keep adding more fluid to the master as it gets low, but saves me the hassle of filling the bleeder container and draining it later then cleaning it.

I would want to have a scan tool ready in case you trigger any codes in the Intelligent Brake System.
View attachment Brakes Standard Procedure.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as you don’t drain the fluid in the master cylinder below the “low” mark, you should not have to activate the ABS pump. I have the Motive bleeder and have used it on other vehicles, but haven’t had the opportunity to use it on the Alfa. I basically use it like a pump to pressurize the master as I open the various bleeders. Of course I have to depressurize it and keep adding more fluid to the master as it gets low, but saves me the hassle of filling the bleeder container and draining it later then cleaning it.

I would want to have a scan tool ready in case you trigger any codes in the Intelligent Brake System.
View attachment 93033

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good stuff!! Thanks for the information. Seems pretty straight forward like my other cars (y)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The motive bleeder with European attachment is what you want. I have used this and it works great. I did pads and bleed the whole system without issue. Put the car in brake service mode, , disconnect the intelligent battery sensor, disconnect the negative battery terminal, do the work(don't push dirty fluid back to the master cylinder), reconnect the negative battery sensor, then reconnect the intelligent battery sensor, power on the car (don't start it), return the car from brake service mode, start the car ( will have Christmas tree dash of lights), turn steering wheel full left and then right, recenter it, turn car off, turn back on and everything should be good to go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The motive bleeder with European attachment is what you want. I have used this and it works great. I did pads and bleed the whole system without issue. Put the car in brake service mode, , disconnect the intelligent battery sensor, disconnect the negative battery terminal, do the work(don't push dirty fluid back to the master cylinder), reconnect the negative battery sensor, then reconnect the intelligent battery sensor, power on the car (don't start it), return the car from brake service mode, start the car ( will have Christmas tree dash of lights), turn steering wheel full left and then right, recenter it, turn car off, turn back on and everything should be good to go.
Awesome thanks for the reply!

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,687 Posts
This guy? https://smile.amazon.com/Motive-Products-European-Bleeder-Pressure/dp/B0002KM5L0

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yes, that is the correct one. I would also purchase the motive brake bottles to catch the old fluid. Make sure when you bleed to keep 30psi on the system per the instruction manual from Mopar.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Pro Tip: disconnect battery first.

Check your adaptor to make sure it fits the fluid reservoir...

Reactions: Stealthmagic27

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have always used the two person method for this job. It’s easy, fast, cheap and works the best. My daughter is now old enough that she can take over for my wife. Any reason why this can’t be done with this car? The CCBs scare me, I’m afraid something will chip them but other than that, with the electronic brakes, is there anything special here required?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You won't get the same quality of a bleed as you would with the power bleeder. If you follow the Mopar procedure you also pump the brakes as well. You don't have the same brake pedal travel as you do in a normal brake system.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Travel shouldn’t matter, it’s just about getting the old fluid out...so if it takes more up/down cycles wouldn’t it be the same? I’m not wanting to invest in a bleeding system when I can just have someone pump the pedal.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Travel shouldn’t matter, it’s just about getting the old fluid out...so if it takes more up/down cycles wouldn’t it be the same? I’m not wanting to invest in a bleeding system when I can just have someone pump the pedal.
Do whatever you want, if it doesn't work right afterwards there's always the Dealer. A pressure bleeder is only $50 on Amazon. ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well I want to do what’s right but I’ll need some explanation as to why the 2 person method wouldn’t be sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The brake system pressure sensing circuitry is "live" all of the time. When the 2-person method is used, the pushing of the pedal is merely activating an electronic circuit against what should normally be a high-pressure closed hydraulic system. When a bleeder is open at the caliper, the system effectively detects a brake system failure.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The brake system pressure sensing circuitry is "live" all of the time. When the 2-person method is used, the pushing of the pedal is merely activating an electronic circuit against what should normally be a high-pressure closed hydraulic system. When a bleeder is open at the caliper, the system effectively detects a brake system failure.
And then what happens, does the car throw a code? Does the brand system do its best to keep working, I’d sure hope so? If there’s a fault detected, does it clear when the bleeder is closed?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The dash lights up like a Christmas tree when the system is breeched and detects abnormal pressure/flow.

The warnings will persist until reset by Witech or MultiEUScan.

Speaking of, has anyone been able to reset the brake system with the new Launch?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts