Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 9,000 total miles, about 10 hard tracking days and 5 sets of front brake pads my front rotors were worn out. Really worn out they were starting to flake and act like cheese graders on my front pads.
I’ll have my car back Thursday and take some pictures of the old rotors next to the new ones. We also are going to clean them off blow them out and then weigh them to see how close I came to the minimum weights and thicknesses stamped on them. Got a feeling I went a bit below the minimums.
I wasn’t sure there will be any visible evidence it was time they were worn out and that worried me. Thankfully there is visible evidence it’s just way different looking than what you see with steel rotors.
New CCB rotors list for about $6,500 for set of 2 front.I’m getting them for $5,000. Steel rotors are about $2,000 for a set I believe not sure if there is any aftermarket ones yet.
CCB pads cost $1.300-$1,500 a front set. I get a bit of a discount but it’s still pretty expensive. And I only get 2 to 4 really hard track days out of a set of pads. If I take it easy and drive easy maybe 5 to 6 days. I have been told steel rotor pads wear out twice as quick. They cost a lot less and I believe there’s aftermarket pads too.
CCB setup costs more but gives you a lot stronger braking and the pads last about twice as long tracking. And for street driving amazingly you can get 90,000 miles out of a set of brake pads on CCB. It’s just when you track it that it increases exponentially.

Going to keep my old worn out CCB rotors and put them on the wall. Maybe make a clock out of one of them!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
After 9,000 total miles, about 10 hard tracking days and 5 sets of front brake pads my front rotors were worn out. Really worn out they were starting to flake and act like cheese graders on my front pads.
I’ll have my car back Thursday and take some pictures of the old rotors next to the new ones. We also are going to clean them off blow them out and then weigh them to see how close I came to the minimum weights and thicknesses stamped on them. Got a feeling I went a bit below the minimums.
I wasn’t sure there will be any visible evidence it was time they were worn out and that worried me. Thankfully there is visible evidence it’s just way different looking than what you see with steel rotors.
New CCB rotors list for about $6,500 I’m getting them for $5,000. Steel rotors are about $2,000 for a set I believe not sure if there is any aftermarket ones yet.
CCB pads cost $1.300-$1,500 a front set. I get a bit of a discount but it’s still pretty expensive. And I only get 2 to 4 really hard track days out of a set of pads. If I take it easy and drive easy maybe 5 to 6 days. I have been told steel rotor pads wear out twice as quick. They cost a lot less and I believe there’s aftermarket pads too.
CCB setup costs more but gives you a lot stronger braking and the pads last about twice as long tracking. And for street driving amazingly you can get 90,000 miles out of a set of brake pads on CCB. It’s just when you track it that it increases exponentially.

Going to keep my old worn out CCB rotors and put them on the wall. Maybe make a clock out of one of them!
Wait. Hold the phone. You have CCB rotors and you wore them out at 9000 miles and 10 hard track days? I was talking to one of the GMs at the dealership (after I already got my QV so wasn’t an upsell opportunity) but he had come back from some AR event where the GMs or VPs got to track the cars (as passengers) and he said the driver said he got 45000 miles of good tracking. Now that might sound bogus considering you got 9000 miles. Quite the difference. Regular road you should get 100000 miles based on what AR told me.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ceramic pigeon maybe?
true decadence if you have a really nice shotgun.
Trust me it looks like it’s already been shot several times with 00 buckshot!
But it’s not that pretty to begin with!

I’ll list pictures here Thursday.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
New CCB rotors list for about $6,500 I’m getting them for $5,000. Steel rotors are about $2,000 for a set I believe not sure if there is any aftermarket ones yet.

6500 an axel?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

Who is throwing it into the air for the clay shot? Or is someone you like holding it. Remind me not to offer that option up to my husband. His accuracy may suddenly become worse. Then he gets to drive the QV more. Is there a downside there for him? NO

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes $6,500 for 2 front CCB rotors list price.
I’m getting them for about $5,000

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Who is throwing it into the air for the clay shot? Or is someone you like holding it. Remind me not to offer that option up to my husband. His accuracy may suddenly become worse. Then he gets to drive the QV more. Is there a downside there for him? NO
Wow it sounds like you’re worried about some type of insurance claim LOL.
His downside? Life without you. You like and drive a QV....you’re a keeper ?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my car back with the new CCB rotors and new brake pads. Car feels perky!
Here are some photos of the brand new front rotors on the car, the used rear rotors on the car and the old rotors off the car on the ground and laying next to the new front rotors.

As you can see the old ones are very rough and with chunks missing at the top of the rotor. New ones look very smooth. I think the new brake pads are going to last considerably longer.

Did a partial clean and weighed them 6230 g with the minimum weight of 6189 g.
If I completely cleaned them including cleaning out the holes and then wash them in acetone I imagine they would be right at the minimum weight. I really thought I went past the minimum weight so it’s good to know I stopped right when I should.
New rotors were packed very nicely in styrofoam that fit together.
Going to clean them up very well and make a couple clocks out of them.
Good memory rotors!! They did their job well now it’s time to retire them with respect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
those rotors and the calipers are cool as f, but just way out of my disposable budget.

gentleman, really, a tactical shotgun for expensive ceramic pigeons? no wood stock, no silver engraving, semi-auto, just wrong for the purpose and misses the point completely.
I wouldn't even use an M4 for royal dalton, it just ain't right.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yes $6,500 for 2 front CCB rotors list price.
I’m getting them for about $5,000
sounds like a bargain:eek: expensive hobby but it must be fun thrashing it around the track.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey Tom. Thanks for the report. So we finally have some data for average CCB QV track day running costs! Looks like you have spent around $1100 a day of front pads and rotors. I guess we have to assume the rears are doing half as much work so lets say factor $500 a day. You are already exceeding my 991 GT3 track costs per day which include fuel, entry fees, insurance, maintenance and tyres LOL. She sure is an expensive donkey to track rat but a pretty one. Im thinking would be cheaper to run a 991 Cup car!

Do you think the brake ventilation kit is helping?

The weight wear indicator isnt any use for your application. That is for typical thermal load where oxidation is created and slowly removed from the rotor by the pad. What you have sir is massive thermal loads causing the resins that keep the chopped fiber strands in place to de-bond. Interestingly I have on file some FCA press cars that showed similar stand delamination after (I assume) heavy track use. The most notable was the car used in 2017 for the Mile Migla run (you can find it on google).

P.S. Steel front rotors are 400 Euro each not sure on US price, maybe 400. We $450 USD equivalent down here for them each side.

I think we have to agree. The only way to track a QV is with CCB. The only way to track a CCB equipped QV it to have very deep pockets. I think its a great road car but very poor road car for the monies. Maybe cheaper to run the new GT3RS or GT2RS and a **** of alot more visceral plus you make money when you sell the car?

Mate, do appreciate you being the guinea pig here. We did it on the steel rotors a year ago in NZ and still many not believing how quick we went through pads and rotors (tires even faster!). Slowly a few faster guys around the globe using the car on track starting to understand the same thing. For many it will last a lot longer but Ive watched your videos and looked at your traces and I know you are really pushing on in this car and driving much quicker than many (on interweb) give you credit. You have my respect sir!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
those rotors and the calipers are cool as f, but just way out of my disposable budget.

gentleman, really, a tactical shotgun for expensive ceramic pigeons? no wood stock, no silver engraving, semi-auto, just wrong for the purpose and misses the point completely.
I wouldn't even use an M4 for royal dalton, it just ain't right.
I don’t know. Rotor shooting is in its infancy as far as sport goes and it seems like it would be wasteful to take one shot at the ceramic rotor and be done with it so that’s why I was thinking semi-auto. Might be worthwhile pioneering semi-auto shotgun sport instead of the old school break-action stuff. High tech rotors deserve high tech shotgun!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"High tech rotors deserve high tech shotgun!"

point taken, guess I'm stuck in my old fashioned/traditionalist what's proper and appropriate mindset, time to get with the times.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
"High tech rotors deserve high tech shotgun!"

point taken, guess I'm stuck in my old fashioned/traditionalist what's proper and appropriate mindset, time to get with the times.
Don’t get me wrong there’s nothing wrong with old school but there’s nothing quite like putting a hail of shot or slugs down range with half a dozen trigger pulls in just a few seconds. Those CF rotors won’t know what hit them!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hey Tom. Thanks for the report. So we finally have some data for average CCB QV track day running costs! Looks like you have spent around $1100 a day of front pads and rotors. I guess we have to assume the rears are doing half as much work so lets say factor $500 a day. You are already exceeding my 991 GT3 track costs per day which include fuel, entry fees, insurance, maintenance and tyres LOL. She sure is an expensive donkey to track rat but a pretty one. Im thinking would be cheaper to run a 991 Cup car!

Do you think the brake ventilation kit is helping?

The weight wear indicator isnt any use for your application. That is for typical thermal load where oxidation is created and slowly removed from the rotor by the pad. What you have sir is massive thermal loads causing the resins that keep the chopped fiber strands in place to de-bond. Interestingly I have on file some FCA press cars that showed similar stand delamination after (I assume) heavy track use. The most notable was the car used in 2017 for the Mile Migla run (you can find it on google).

P.S. Steel front rotors are 400 Euro each not sure on US price, maybe 400. We $450 USD equivalent down here for them each side.

I think we have to agree. The only way to track a QV is with CCB. The only way to track a CCB equipped QV it to have very deep pockets. I think its a great road car but very poor road car for the monies. Maybe cheaper to run the new GT3RS or GT2RS and a **** of alot more visceral plus you make money when you sell the car?

Mate, do appreciate you being the guinea pig here. We did it on the steel rotors a year ago in NZ and still many not believing how quick we went through pads and rotors (tires even faster!). Slowly a few faster guys around the globe using the car on track starting to understand the same thing. For many it will last a lot longer but Ive watched your videos and looked at your traces and I know you are really pushing on in this car and driving much quicker than many (on interweb) give you credit. You have my respect sir!
It’s really all about the weight. The heavier the car the more the track is going to eat up your consumables. The QV isn’t portly but it isn’t tiny either and 500hp means it’s going to need to be hauled down all the more. The OP never said what tires he was using? Just curious. Also while the ceramic brakes sound more trackable than the iron rotors we only have a few data points and the cost of the ceramics and pads is just soooo high it might be worth looking into maybe a better brake pad iron rotor track combo that might be a little more cost effective. The other big problem with the ceramics is they are just so fragile that if you’re constantly swapping over wheel/tires and changing brake pads you’re gonna chip them. Gotta be really careful when taking the wheels off with them and avoid years of bad habits not having to worry about such things with regular rotors.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts