Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm desperate for help!

Giulia 18, 200 hp. 40k k"m. Stock. Mine since new.

After a drive, I'm turning off the engine, and after 30 sec +- I can see and hear the coolant is boiling (coolant in the engine tank not turbo).

While driving all is fine...no over heating..When I stop and the engine is still working all fine, even after I turn off the engine and the engine fan is working everything is ok, but after the engine fan stops working, the water coolant going up and boiling...

In the garage they replaced the engine fan and the termostat, and still the same problem..

Anyone heard about it? Any ideas?
I'm desperate...
Thank you for your help!!

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
They also replaced the whole tank and the cap
OK, Im assuming it was properly bled..maybe tell them to pull a vacuum on it to make sure the system is air tight . You may have an isolated hot spot caused by an air pocket. Other than that, verify the coolant concentrate and check the coolant temperature at idle and then check it again 5 or so minutes after its shutoff to see if its going up or down.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
136 Posts
@Jonathan

Just spitballing to help you out - there was an FCA engine ECU Software Upgrade for early 2.0 engines that ensured that the electric water pump for the turbo runs for 10 Minutes after you turn off the engine.

Do you hear that electric pump running for 10 minutes after you turn off the engine?

I'm also asking because I'm reading in your post that you're going to a "garage" for help/service.

Please advise if this "garage" is associated with FCA/Alfa-Romeo Dealership.

Hope that helps -

·
Registered
447 Posts

After a drive, I'm turning off the engine, and after 30 sec +- I can see and hear the coolant is boiling (coolant in the engine tank not turbo).

While driving all is fine...no over heating..When I stop and the engine is still working all fine, even after I turn off the engine and the engine fan is working everything is ok, but after the engine fan stops working, the water coolant going up and boiling...

In the garage they replaced the engine fan and the termostat, and still the same problem..

I'm desperate...
Hot coolant from the engine is leaking back into one of the coolant reservoirs. That's the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I'm desperate...
There thermo switch for the cooling fan - has it been tested or changed ? Kenlowe fan type thermoswitch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you all for the comments!!

It was a cracked (new!!!) tank, the plastic tank and the cap were brand new, installed 1 month ago, thats why I didnt think of it as an option..

The crack was right at the top, where the cap is.

Thanks again
Thanks for sharing your outcome - everything is possible.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Many an engine has overheated because of a malfunctioning pressure cap. The temperature of the coolant varies greatly inside an engine. The temp of what is in the radiator is different than what is in the intake manifold, to the turbocharger to the galley next to the exhaust valve, etc. It's the pressure cap that keeps the localized boiling problem in check.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts