Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if details have been posted here, but along with the JB4 Alfa development we also released a simple intake. Our analysis showed that the majority of the intake piping is actually relatively high flow, with the only restriction being within the airbox itself. So we came up with a simple and inexpensive design to eliminate the restriction while keeping everything good about the factory intake. Heat insulating airbox bottom, quality plastic inlet, etc. Result is a great intake at a great price. Really easy to install and remove too.

Alfa Romeo

And of course the sound improvement is phenomenal. :)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,530 Posts
This looks like a simple way to gain the benefits of more air flow, with the added advantages (for someone like me, on a lease) of being very fast and easy to return to stock and having comparatively low cost.

I'm not a fan of the noises, which is why I went with AFE's cold air intake system, but this costs roughly a quarter of what the AFE does, so as far as trade-offs go, I might have been able to live with that. I do also prefer the look of an enclosed filter.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure if details have been posted here, but along with the JB4 Alfa development we also released a simple intake. Our analysis showed that the majority of the intake piping is actually relatively high flow, with the only restriction being within the airbox itself. So we came up with a simple and inexpensive design to eliminate the restriction while keeping everything good about the factory intake. Heat insulating airbox bottom, quality plastic inlet, etc. Result is a great intake at a great price. Really easy to install and remove too.

http://www.burgertuning.com/alfa_romeo_intake.html

And of course the sound improvement is phenomenal. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Interesting read. Thank you for that.
Does this intake fit the Stelvio also?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum Terry :smile2:
I'm looking forward seeing more merchandise from you as well as your knowledge and insight.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If it is hot intake, thats what Type is eurocpulsion intake v2?...

Wysłane z mojego HMA-L29 przy użyciu Tapatalka
I have EC's V2 intake on my Ti. Their fresh air pick-up is in the factory location. I think EC referred to it as a 'cold air' intake, but it's not cold air nor is the original intake a 'cold air' intake. I would classify is as 'warm air' intake. Considering that the turbo compresses the fresh air and the compression heats the air, it hardly matters if it's a true cold air intake or not. The intercooler's job is to cool the intake back down. The real focal point for cold or cool fresh air would be the intercooler.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had true cold air intake on previous car and from switching from short ram to cold air it was huge difference in power. I also have V2 and it's definitely not cold air.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,530 Posts
I suspect @kozak’s point is that trying to slam the BMS as a hot air intake is just not a compelling criticism given that the vaunted, much touted EuroCompulsion V2 intake sucks the same, if not hotter, air in virtually the same location.

In fact, if there’s a limit to how much heat an intercooler can pull out, or if the actual intake air temp otherwise impacts turbo or engine efficiency/performance and therefore intake air temp matters, it would seem that the BMS system with it’s use of the factory lower filter box, air guide tube from grill, and heat shielding, may have the advantage of drawing cooler air than the EC V2.

·
Registered
277 Posts
correct, Dorifto wrote that BMS is hot intake ( i see that he praises EC V2) but BMS is in the same place as EC v2.
I know that EC v2 is extolled, but BMS is the same for me or better because of the housing at the bottom.
does someone have the dimensions of this BMS filter?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I had true cold air intake on previous car and from switching from short ram to cold air it was huge difference in power. I also have V2 and it's definitely not cold air.
I suspect @kozak’s point is that trying to slam the BMS as a hot air intake is just not a compelling criticism given that the vaunted, much touted EuroCompulsion V2 intake sucks the same, if not hotter, air in virtually the same location.

In fact, if there’s a limit to how much heat an intercooler can pull out, or if the actual intake air temp otherwise impacts turbo or engine efficiency/performance and therefore intake air temp matters, it would seem that the BMS system with it’s use of the factory lower filter box, air guide tube from grill, and heat shielding, may have the advantage of drawing cooler air than the EC V2.
correct, Dorifto wrote that BMS is hot intake ( i see that he praises EC V2) but BMS is in the same place as EC v2.
I know that EC v2 is extolled, but BMS is the same for me or better because of the housing at the bottom.
does someone have the dimensions of this BMS filter?

I agree completely that the cooler the intake air starts, the less work the intercooler has to do.

Saying one intake is crap even though it's fundamentally the same as another is ... well ... crap.

A scientific experiment would be interesting about now, not to prove that one brand is better, but to monitor the air temp AFTER the intercooler while controlling the fresh air temp ahead of the turbo. Does 15 degrees before equal 15 degrees after? No doubt that the end result will be that the cooler the starting temp, the cooler the end result, but, will it be a significant change?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts