Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The concern I always have with these filters is that the material is less restrictive than OEM so to increase air flow and increase HP as per their claim. However, these filters introduce oil which supposedly aids in trapping particles because of the material is more porous than OEM. The unfortunate downside, is that these oils could mask the MAF sensor and overtime, cause improper readings.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. I just ordered mine from eBay for my QV. What I have noticed in the past using filters like this is very slight gain in power, slightly quicker response and especially good louder engine intake noise.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just installed my new BMC filter on my QV today. Pretty straightforward install. First time it will take a while to carefully understand how to take the air filter housing loose, you do not have to take it completely off as there is a wire attached. Do not be in a rush it took me about 15 minutes to do the whole thing including shop vacuuming out the air filter holder from some debris that was in there.

Physically the stock filter looks pretty low restrictive but the BMC filter looks better.

Did a sound file test before and after from inside the car with the hood up. With the new BMC filter motor definitely sounds a bit deeper.

On the road the way I would describe the difference is "snappier". Seems to have noticeability quicker throttle response. Not a huge difference but noticeable and nice. Gearshifts seem to be quicker too. In race mode it's kind of shocking how quick the car shifts.

So all in all I would say it's a good mode for $85. But you could wait until your air filter is dirty.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
We will have Sprint filters available for the car in the near future. These require no oil.

Reactions: SerpenteRosso

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Below is a link to Alfaowner thread regarding aftermarket oiled air filters. Some claim no issues to their MAF sensor, while others claim their MAF sensors failed a few months after installation of an oiled filter. Some say excessive oil in these filters will harm the MAF sensor overtime.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/326754-will-a-kandamp-n-filter-bugger-my-maf.html

I know GM and Ford have denied warranty claims for aftermarket intake issues involving a fouled MAF sensor. An interesting story on the link below involving a ford eco boost (turbo engine)

https://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13066

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hard to tell if that's a real concern or not. Certainly the numbers are against having any problem as these types of filters are on hundreds of thousands of turbo cars for years without any problems. Chance of someone running into your car and totaling your car is more likely.

Nevertheless I keep all my stock parts in case I have a problem. Air filter is an easy switch before bringing the car in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had major issues with oil treated air filters in the past, they will eventually destroy your MAF.
On my last Audi replaced a couple of MAF's ($$$$) before realizing what was causing the problem.
There are better ways to create more horsepower, performance filters are ok but look for oil free dry ones.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I had major issues with oil treated air filters in the past, they will eventually destroy your MAF.
On my last Audi replaced a couple of MAF's ($$$$) before realizing what was causing the problem.
There are better ways to create more horsepower, performance filters are ok but look for oil free dry ones.
Keeping your MAF clean, is a real concern, especially on high mileage cars. There are rattle can sprays made just for this.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keeping your MAF clean, is a real concern, especially on high mileage cars. There are rattle can sprays made just for this.
Please elaborate or direct me to info..
I have a BMC, and will certainly end up with a lot of miles and possibly buy the car at lease end.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Reactions: Giovanni Dicesare

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have experience with BMC air filters. I have seen on 2 separate occasions, the silicone surrounds on the element deteriorate and end up in the intake. on both occasions, the intakes had to be removed to ensure all the material was removed. the owner of one vehicle complained of a rough idle. the silicone was also inhibiting movement of the throttle plate. I also know that certain manufacturers use BMC filters from the factory and recommend replacement every 2 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed the BMC filter yesterday. I understand the issues that are posted here. But i took second opinion and checked the filter before installing it. I was able to notice smooth ride especially in the morning. In fact, those jerk and go during gear changes smoothened out and driving felt more quicker. This could be due to more air breathed into the engine. The OEM filter is dense with multiple folds. I got it for 79. Usually i check filters once in 6 months. I plan to do the same even though it is claimed as life time filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts