576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMC Air Filter for Giulia QV listed on BMC website with part number: FB940/01

Attachments

Reactions: Quadrifoglio

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I've had paper, foam, dry, oiled....to tell you the truth I'm not so sure that the difference is demonstrable.....
I just want the **** thing to run properly for at least a 6 months to a year to see what I like & dislike and then perhaps mod the car to my personal taste...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am not as familiar with the oil based filters. What is the difference and can they damage the intake? I've only used the K&N filters in the past.
Some filters, like K&N use a cotton gauze filter element. The cotton is typically coated with a very light coating of oil which helps it filter more effectively.

There was a time when certain cars had mass air flow sensors that could be damaged by oil contamination. So in some cases, if a user over oiled the filter it could shorten the life of that sensor. That is NOT an issue with any Fiat or Alfa currently sold, or with any Fiat or Alfa I know of. Furthermore, every new Fiat and Alfa throws oil into the intake anyway, and a lot more than would ever get in from a typical oiled filter element.

Now please don't construe this as my saying that K&N filters are the best ever. I don't think that. I do think they are decent, probably a little better than middle of the road. There are other filters that are better, but usually at additional cost.

Greg

·
Registered
580 Posts
@[email protected]

Which do filter do you say is the best for the 124 Spider Abarth, 4C, and all other Alfa's? AFE, BMC, or Other?
The best filter is the brand "Sprint" filter from Italy. Good luck actually getting one, it's nearly impossible and they are really expensive. Second, I have to say BMC or Green (we use Green in some of our intakes).

I am not really a huge fan of drop in replacement filters. I prefer to upgrade the whole intake system, and in the case of the 124, 500 Abarth and 4C I would argue that the best intakes on the market are our V4, V4.1, and V2 intakes respectively.

Here is a shot of our V4 for the 124 Spider:

We will be coming out with various intake upgrades for the Giulias.

Greg

P.S. when I say I am not a fan of drop in replacement filters, I should qualify that. That's because most stock airboxes are designed with a lot of thought into noise reduction and they sacrifice flow. However I haven't had a Giulia intake on my flow bench yet, so I am reserving judgement for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The best filter is the brand "Sprint" filter from Italy. Good luck actually getting one, it's nearly impossible and they are really expensive. Second, I have to say BMC or Green (we use Green in some of our intakes).

I am not really a huge fan of drop in replacement filters. I prefer to upgrade the whole intake system, and in the case of the 124, 500 Abarth and 4C I would argue that the best intakes on the market are our V4, V4.1, and V2 intakes respectively.

Here is a shot of our V4 for the 124 Spider:

We will be coming out with various intake upgrades for the Giulias.

Greg

P.S. when I say I am not a fan of drop in replacement filters, I should qualify that. That's because most stock airboxes are designed with a lot of thought into noise reduction and they sacrifice flow. However I haven't had a Giulia intake on my flow bench yet, so I am reserving judgement for now.
Look forward to seeing your intake upgrade

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Greg, do you have anything available yet? Might as well toss in a link here.

Sprint filters. I am now remembering what you went through on the 4C. You developed an intake based around the Sprint filter with the promise of it being ready soon. We were all waiting for this intake for what, six months? Sprint saying "two more weeks" the whole time. Finally you redesigned the intake for another brand of filter and Sprint lost out. Yup, good luck getting one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.