Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,776 Posts
May I ask what your new route is?

I'm still holding out (hopefully not too long) for a battery-powered dashcam. I find it hard to believe there isn't one already.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'm still holding out (hopefully not too long) for a battery-powered dashcam. I find it hard to believe there isn't one already.
Powermagic pro is basically a super capcitor and records when the car is off for about 2 weeks

New route with be a DR790 2 CH Unit (Basically with wireless).

·
Registered
8,776 Posts

Powermagic pro is basically a super capcitor and records when the car is off for about 2 weeks

New route with be a DR790 2 CH Unit (Basically with wireless).
Not sure the Power Magic route will eliminate the power cord.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure the Power Magic route will eliminate the power cord.
Well if your worry was recording while the car was off? If your worry is a power cord thats why I got mine hardwired (which is easy to DIY as well). I dont think a battery powered unit will deliver the quality and performance one would want for the main reason of the dashcam. To record events in high quality to submit as evidence in the event of a incident. If a battery unit is medicore at best it doesn't serve its purpose.

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
Well if your worry was recording while the car was off? If your worry is a power cord thats why I got mine hardwired (which is easy to DIY as well). I dont think a battery powered unit will deliver the quality and performance one would want for the main reason of the dashcam. To record events in high quality to submit as evidence in the event of a incident. If a battery unit is medicore at best it doesn't serve its purpose.
Less concerned about recording when the car is off than the cord itself. I admit I'm not much of a DIY guy and don't want my car torn up if avoidable.

I don't understand why a cordless dashcam presents such a challenge. Witness all the GoPros and such that take high-quality video. Maybe it's the hassle of recharging for some? I won't mind that a bit. I've toyed with just using a GoPro but would rather have something actually designed for the purpose.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Less concerned about recording when the car is off than the cord itself. I admit I'm not much of a DIY guy and don't want my car torn up if avoidable.

I don't understand why a cordless dashcam presents such a challenge. Witness all the GoPros and such that take high-quality video. Maybe it's the hassle of recharging for some? I won't mind that a bit. I've toyed with just using a GoPro but would rather have something actually designed for the purpose.
To be honest any great reputable shop should be able to install with out any issues or damaged to the car. I only trust my car to a select few shops in my area ( all within 100 mile radius) and I only go to them for my services no matter how far. The ones that do have battery only last about an hour fully record (Go Pro is about the same). I think your best solution is to find a reputable shop to hardwire install. Once you see the results you will see its worth every penny and its such a clean install with a reliable product.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts

My 2c on the GoPro is depends what you want it for. Track days 1000%, recording your meetings with hilarious road going folk 100%, accidents 10%, dings in car parks/hit and runs 0%

Gopro can mount easily / well hidden, operate on it's own without a power cable and fits into the Giulia usb charging port nicely though:

The reason for the 10% - you'd have to be solidly recording which you could do but there's nothing smart about it collision wise. Note you won't film behind unless you have two ($1000) or switch it forgoing one view

0% you could leave it recording, screen off etc in the supermarket carpark but not all night or motion activated

Why not give this a punt? Might be crap but seems to hit most of what you want?

or even better

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
Thanks, FNM. My expectations are probably clouded by my DSLR experience. I am accustomed to shooting all day, sometimes over 1000 images, on a single battery charge.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
aye i'm with you.. i'd want the same. On the limited reading I did, seems like people are using power banks to run through the night / when the car is off. I only saw the Garmin 20 that has a battery which lasted an hour... hopefully someone can make something soon.

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
I can't help but wonder how many dash cams are stolen when they are left in cars to monitor them.

Reactions: kanundrum

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
Mainly for accident purposes or Russian dash cam incidents haha. I got mine for parking lot door dingers and crap on the roads of DC area lol.
Will it do you any good if the other car involved has diplomatic plates? Are separate side cameras needed to capture door dingers?

I still like how a Russian dashcam captrued a meteorite. Spinning Lamborghinis are fun, too.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will it do you any good if the other car involved has diplomatic plates? Are separate side cameras needed to capture door dingers?

I still like how a Russian dashcam captrued a meteorite. Spinning Lamborghinis are fun, too.
2 Channel setup with a wide field of view always captures license plates of cars pulling in and out as well as motion such as door dings. Enough to piece it all together and find a culprit.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Will it do you any good if the other car involved has diplomatic plates?

Diplomats are generally beyond the reach of the law here. Yes, technically their diplomatic immunity only covers official acts. But State is not going to get involved or expel a diplomat over a traffic incident unless there is a death or serious bodily harm. Even then, chances are the diplomat will just be expelled. Which doesn’t really help the victims much. At best, the dash cam might help you with your own insurance company when you file a claim to turn something from an ordinary collision claim into an uninsured motorist claim so you don’t pay the same deductible and your premiums don’t increase as much afterwards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.