Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since losing my Wife’s SUV with a trailer hitch, I’m toying with the sacrilege of getting a trunk mounted rack for my Giulia. And to really rub sea salt into a sensitive wound, I’m not talking about my ultra light, Eighties Guerciotti. I’m looking for my overweight, hipster beach cruiser. Anyone find anything without having your Alfa not talk to you for a week?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thule Raceway is a great trunk rack and fits the giulia very well. I fit my carbon road bike in the back seat of the guilia with the wheel off, but my fat bike and 29er fit well on the rack. (fat bike weighs in at 32lbs with full gear) comparable to a beach cruiser) Make sure the trunk lid is always clean, and cut a small dense rubber mat to fit under the rack where it sits on the bumper to protect. Using it for 6 years now, 3 on my giulia and no issues. Ratchet cables are ideal and work well. You will not be dissapointed. Have driven on highway over 70mph for hours with bikes secured well with no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,903 Posts
A lot of rear bicycle mounts position the bicycle so that the taillights are partially or fully blocked.
What about a roof rack?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Roof rack option is out as to lift this bike over my head, would definitely give me a permanent open sunroof. I do know that Saris makes a similar one to the Thule, but a lot cheaper. Still got some courage with jjt440’s input.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Roof rack option is out as to lift this bike over my head, would definitely give me a permanent open sunroof. I do know that Saris makes a similar one to the Thule, but a lot cheaper. Still got some courage with jjt440’s input.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Check on craigslist for a used one. Before the pandemic I would see them for sale often. Now the entire world is riding bikes so not so sure lol!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,903 Posts
Yes, you're absolutely right. That's the reason I prefer roof mounts. It's more practical, in my opinion. Although this mount significantly impairs the aerodynamics of the car but is not inferior to the reliability of the mounting on the back door. In any case, you should choose which mounting option is the most suitable for you. If you bought a new bike, I advise you to insure it. If you fall off the mount on the move, the insurance company will cover your costs for the broken part. Here is the best bike insurance company Electric Bike (EBike) Insurance ⚡ Protect Your EBike | Simple Bike Insurance. Good luck on your journey.
For the record, my new 29er fit inside Giulia. Just remove the wheels and lay down the rear seat. Stuff some padding (old towels) in the right places and apply some bungee cords. Don't forget a plastic bag for the greasy wheel axles. Not real practical for regular transport, but I just needed to get it to Bridgeport on a one time basis.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Not a huge fan, because I can't open the sunroof. But it works well.....

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts