Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have a European 2.0T Giulia Super, 200HP standard but remapped to 280HP, with 305mm front and 292mm rear brakes.

Does anyone know if there are upgrade kits to 330mm / 320mm (or larger if it fits inside 18" wheels)?

There's an option "44B - Veloce spec brakes" on the list but retrofitting that is most likely going to be very expensive.

Would an upgrade to bigger brakes also require a software modification to the car's brake-by-wire system?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
hey. Not the expert but i'd say not as we don't even have sports pads available yet. Might be worth calling Brembo and asking them (report back here if you do). Can I ask why you want them? Cosmetic?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Just chiming in. In Europe, the 280hp Veloce has bigger brakes than other trims (except QV). Here in the US, we have the same increased brakes as standard in our Base and Ti trims. Therefore, no one upgraded them unless they did some aftermarket work to an even bigger size.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey. Not the expert but i'd say not as we don't even have sports pads available yet. Might be worth calling Brembo and asking them (report back here if you do). Can I ask why you want them? Cosmetic?
1. The standard brakes will start warping some time sooner rather than later.
2. 280HP vs the stock 200HP really calls for bigger brakes.
3. Cosmetics.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
re-read sorry didn't click you'd have smaller. Hope you can get it done without breaking the bank (no pun intended)

·
Registered
231 Posts
HI,

I have a European 2.0T Giulia Super, 200HP standard but remapped to 280HP, with 305mm front and 292mm rear brakes.

Does anyone know if there are upgrade kits to 330mm / 320mm (or larger if it fits inside 18" wheels)?

There's an option "44B - Veloce spec brakes" on the list but retrofitting that is most likely going to be very expensive.

Would an upgrade to bigger brakes also require a software modification to the car's brake-by-wire system?
Who did your remap, and how do you like it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who did your remap, and how do you like it?
Savali (Netherlands), basically it's the regular 280hp map but with a little more torque at lower revs. It's backed by an Alfa Romeo dealer company so that's a plus.

Also had them change the rear bumper for a veloce one with the standard exhaust, did run with an axle back they developed but that was too much drone for me.

Wish list is still bigger brakes, lsd, perhaps a coilover although I'm not sure the giulia needs lowering, rear spoiler and ideally, active front splitter, cold air intake (when can we expect the v4?), bigger downpipe and then a remap to 340 or 350 hp.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stock brakes on the US spec 280hp car are pretty darn good. I haven't heard of anyone overheating them yet.

Greg
I would expect them to be, however mine are smaller as my giulia is the 200hp version, when due for replacement i would very much like to upgrade to the 280hp spec brakes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would expect them to be, however mine are smaller as my giulia is the 200hp version, when due for replacement i would very much like to upgrade to the 280hp spec brakes.
That makes a lot of sense. The 280hp car's brakes would make an easy and inexpensive upgrade. You just need to wait for totaled Giulias to start showing up in wrecking yards.

Greg

·
Registered
527 Posts
1. The standard brakes will start warping some time sooner rather than later.
2. 280HP vs the stock 200HP really calls for bigger brakes.
3. Cosmetics.
1. No.
2. Yes and no.
3. Can't argue with you there.

Warping brakes are not a function of performance or lack thereof. It's a function of heat cycling and/or pad material being deposited on the brake disk in an uniformed way.

Also, your braking performance is limited to your tires. Brake fade is limited to tires and ability to keep the brakes within their optimum heat range. So, just having 80hp more doesn't necessarily mean you need bigger brakes.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,714 Posts
HI,

Buy the parts off of a wrecked US spec Giulia? I have no idea how hard the parts swap would be or what all parts would need to change.

Keep in mind that bigger brakes weigh more and that will degrade handling.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You would not only need discs and pads, but also calipers.
And when swapping the calipers you could use the chance and change the fluid aswell.

Not so sure about the "inexpensive" part...

But I agree - on 18 or 19 inch wheels you NEED 330mm brakes. I have that setup on my 159 and smaller brakes would certainly look a bit "meh".

EDIT:
Another thing: No one knows how the IBS reacts to different brakes yet... But I would be optimistic about that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
this is an easy fix, costly but simply upgrade to the base quadrifoglio brakes, six piston fronts, four piston rears, and larger rotors. my situation is a little harder as i have a Quad, and want to upgrade to the carbon/ceramics

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've just looked into EU (Austrian) Prices for the Quad Items:
  • Front Discs: 50543093: 474€ each = ~ 950€
  • Front Heat / Dust Shield: 50544165, 50544164: 22,30€ each = ~ 45€
  • Front Calipers (Red): 50547351, 50547355: 1080€ each = ~ 2160€

Let me just stop here. We're at 3200€ already. And there are no brake pads, adapter plates, screws, labor or even the rear axle yet...

This only makes sense if you can find a wrecked car. :wink2:

·
Registered
630 Posts
The biggest question mark in my mind is the software calibration. Many automakers are really putting the clampdown on software and what they will allow on a per VIN basis. Even if an Alfa Romeo dealer has competent technicians and a wiTECH subscription, there's no guarantee the manufacturer will allow the "right" software calibration to be downloaded and installed on the Integrated Control Unit (ICU) of another car that wasn't factory equipped with those brakes. The only way to tell is to try it.

I have no doubt that some people will modify their cars with no clue how the electronic control systems will be effected. Hopefully there is enough reserve capacity in the system to adapt to whatever changes people do (e.g. fit super sticky tires that greatly expand the performance envelope, fit bigger rotors that radically alter the amount of brake torque that can be applied, etc.) but they might not realize the full benefits of the hardware changes if they don't address the calibration of the underlying electronic control systems, which may be technically impossible to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is an easy fix, costly but simply upgrade to the base quadrifoglio brakes, six piston fronts, four piston rears, and larger rotors. my situation is a little harder as i have a Quad, and want to upgrade to the carbon/ceramics
alfisti sells a complete quad brake system (calipers, discs, pads etc) for 7k EUR which is way too much.
Also the 360mm are a bit much too much for ~300bhp, and not sure they would fit within
18" wheels. Replacing both summer and winter wheels with 19" would add another 4k to the bottom line which is pretty rich for a brake upgrade.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,734 Posts
and we dont know if a simple caliper/disc upgrade needs to be calibrated (as per freedomgli's post above)

but dont give up, keep asking and learning if it can be done ... i am also wondering if i can upgrade my base brakes to Veloce spec

·
Registered
51 Posts
The calibration is BS, I've done big brake kits on several cars over the recent years, and there's no electronic issue, as none of these cars have sensors or receive data from a brake caliper or pad, or rotors for that matter. All ABS, and associated wheel sensing equipment does its thing prior to the mechanical workings of the caliper/rotor interface. The only issue you have is how much do you want to spend? Brakes are not cheap and you should plan on spending 3-5K on any attempt to install a larger brake package. One company you can check is Wilwood, they make all kinds of packages for all types of cars, including racing setups. They are as high a quality as any Brembo and about 1/2 the price, although I don't know if the offer anything for Alfa

·
Registered
135 Posts
The calibration is BS, I've done big brake kits on several cars over the recent years, and there's no electronic issue, as none of these cars have sensors or receive data from a brake caliper of pad. All abs, and associated wheel sensing equipment does its thing prior to the mechanical workings of the caliper/rotor interface. The only issue you have is how much do you want to spend? Brakes are not cheap and you should plan on spending 3-5K on any attempt to install a larger brake package. One company you can check is Wilwood, they make all kinds of packages for all types of cars, including racing setups. They are as high a quality as any Brembo and about 1/2 the price, although I don't know if the offer anything for Alfa
I'd agree with you if the Giulia utilized a traditional braking system but there have to be a ton of parameters set by the brake by wire system. Even our brake pedal feel is simulated by the system. Unless the system is adaptive, who's to say larger brakes won't throw the algorithms off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts