Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about put some extra LED-lights for my Giulia.
I have a question about the signal that change the cover inside the headligt from lo to high beam.
Is it a pulse or a "permanent Power on" when Hi beam is activated?

Using it powering a relay for the LED- light... a relay with an iductive connector mounted on the hi-beam-cable.
Question for Mac.Geek? :grin2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No answer...?
Winter is coming, getting darker & darker... :wink2:

Or is it possible to get a signal elswhere to activate my Led-lights?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
High beam is activated by the Body Computer Module via pins 4 and 5 (green wires) of connector C (vertical connector on the right). It's a permanent signal going to pin 5 of both headlight connectors. High beam activation and deactivation can also be requested via CAN bus by the front camera module, if the car's equipped with the automatic high beams.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
Im thinking about put some extra LED-lights for my Giulia.
I have a question about the signal that change the cover inside the headligt from lo to high beam.
Is it a pulse or a "permanent Power on" when Hi beam is activated?

Using it powering a relay for the LED- light... a relay with an iductive connector mounted on the hi-beam-cable.
Question for Mac.Geek? :grin2:
What do you mean by "relay with an iductive (inductive?) connector"? You want the relay to be placed in parallel with the high beam signal and you may want to use a solid state relay (no inductor). Solid state relays do not produce high voltage spikes like a traditional inductive relays when the power is switched off.

Where are you intending to mount said LED lights? Perhaps a light bar on the bumper behind the center grill? Is that legal in Sweden (it is not in California, although people do it anyway)? Due to the legal issues it is common to add a separate on-off switch for non-certified light control.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My english is not 100% but I try to explain...
If I connect the relaycable direct to the "Hi-beam" cable I eventually get problems with canbus errors.??
A friend of mine bought a relay-set and it had a "snap on" connetor for hi-beam cable. I guess it feels the magnetic field in the
cable and activate the relay for my aftermarket-lights.
I haven't decided yet IF I'm going to mount LED's because I like the clean, nice look of the cars front.
And yes, I was thinking about putting them/it in the center-grill.

Yes, it's legal in Sweden to add lamps to your car. And I guess "legal" means approved lamps, "E-certified" is the swedish term??

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
My english is not 100% but I try to explain...
If I connect the relaycable direct to the "Hi-beam" cable I eventually get problems with canbus errors.??
A friend of mine bought a relay-set and it had a "snap on" connetor for hi-beam cable. I guess it feels the magnetic field in the
cable and activate the relay for my aftermarket-lights.
I haven't decided yet IF I'm going to mount LED's because I like the clean, nice look of the cars front.
And yes, I was thinking about putting them/it in the center-grill.

Yes, it's legal in Sweden to add lamps to your car. And I guess "legal" means approved lamps, "E-certified" is the swedish term??
Your English is very good.
I am not familiar with a relay product that can reliably detect the headlamp current in a single wire. Can you provide a link to a description of this product? The headlight wire will produce a faint magnetic field, but it is difficult to use it to operate anything.

A conventional relay produces a large voltage spike when the current through it is rapidly reduced. It is the same principal that is used to produce the high voltage for the spark plugs. This voltage spike can damage the electronics that produce the current that feeds the headlights. An electronic relay will not produce a voltage spike. Alternatively it is possible to put a suppression circuit on the relay inductor, but that has the potential to interact with th electronics in some unknown fashion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
High beam is activated by the Body Computer Module via pins 4 and 5 (green wires) of connector C (vertical connector on the right). It's a permanent signal going to pin 5 of both headlight connectors. High beam activation and deactivation can also be requested via CAN bus by the front camera module, if the car's equipped with the automatic high beams.
Do you have a picture of this? Connector C on the right, is it on the Body Computer module. Where is it? ?

I've checked the connector behind the headlight and all I see is one round connector. Perhaps it include the green cable for hi-low beam? But this connector is well done, no loose cable, difficult to dismantle and catch a signal from it.

The "inductive relay" I wrote about... I 'we been serching but no match so far, no link. Posted a question to my friend, but no answer yet.. I'll be back... ?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, the round connector on the back of the headlights is where the green wire arrives from the Body Computer Module, on pin 5.

The Body Computer Module is in the passenger footwell. Connector C is the vertical connector on the right of the Body Computer Module. Pins 4 and 5 of that connector go to pin 5 of the headlight connector on both headlights.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the Green Cable behind the lamp. (Not tested, awaiting IF I´m going to mount the Led-light) :grin2:
Also checked where to connect the B+ ( 30 ) to the relay... 2 possible places:

Fuse box i Engine room. Under the lid ther´s a 10mm nut, positive connector.
Or...
The connector for jumper-cables. Maybe it´s possible to dismantle, loosen the 2 10mm nuts, pull out and connect the Cable to the relay? But the Cables in the back seemed very short...
Removing the plastic shield above seems as á BIG Project. :nerd:

Her´s a link to an English manual for the "sensor relay" I wrote about. ( XBB Lightswitch)
https://xbb.nu/pdf/SYSTEMDESCRIPTION_XBB-LIGHTSWITCH_EN-20131022-5.pdf

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts