Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
Where are you? All NAFTA Alfa Romeo cars come with bi-xenon (euro-spec for HID) headlights. They are a lot brighter than any kind of Halogen. For NAFTA cars you can get the standard 25W HID or the optional "advanced" 35W headlights which turn with the steering. I have the later and am very happy with.

I have had no chance to compare performance with the 25W lights. There are at least 2 threads in the forums on the subject, btw.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have the 35W lights and they are the best headlights I've had on any car. Can't judge the standard ones obviously.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,061 Posts
Where are you? All NAFTA Alfa Romeo cars come with bi-xenon (euro-spec for HID) headlights. They are a lot brighter than any kind of Halogen. For NAFTA cars you can get the standard 25W HID or the optional "advanced" 35W headlights which turn with the steering. I have the later and am very happy with.

I have had no chance to compare performance with the 25W lights. There are at least 2 threads in the forums on the subject, btw.
I have the 35W lights and they are the best headlights I've had on any car. Can't judge the standard ones obviously.
I have the standard 25W lights and am fine with them (I don't do much rural nighttime driving). I'm curious to see the 35W lights, at the risk of learning what I'm missing. Good to hear you like 'em, @lockem.

·
Registered
476 Posts
For what it is worth, the IIHS gave it's top rated safety score to the Giulia only when it is equipped with the 35w bi-xenons....

·
Registered
224 Posts
I went with the stereo over the lights. (that's the way the car was configured) I have the 25W, and they seem to work very well on the road at night with lots of additional lighting. I recently drove down to the beach late the other night, and they lit up the road with no street lights pretty well also. I must say however, the brights "really" illuminated the road once engaged. I also enjoy the left to right lower lights that come on when turning. A nice little bonus! Seems like that will help us all keep our fancy wheels in nice shape even at night!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I created a thread last year about the differences between 25w and 35w, and found a way to upgrade the 25w bulbs to 35w.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/409-electronics/24826-upgrading-25w-headlights-35w.html

The short version is the 25w bulb the Giulia uses is a D5S bulb, which has the ballast on the back of the bulb. When you change the bulb, the ballast changes with it. This is great as it doesn't require any additional wiring or placement of a separate ballast. I was able to locate a 35w D5S bulb from a company called Morimoto that is a direct replacement for the Giulia bulb; no modifications of any kind required.

http://www.morimotohid.com/hid-bulbs/d5s-morimoto-xb-hid.html

Retail is $400 for a pair, but I got them online for $350. While that may sound expensive, it really isn't because the ballasts which would cost extra with any other bulb, are included with these bulbs. If you had to replace the factory 35w bulbs which are D3S bulbs, two bulbs plus two ballasts costs $408. Being able to upgrade the 25w bulbs to 35w for $350 is actually a pretty good deal. The factory 35w bulbs come with the turning feature, so for anyone thinking about ordering a car with them, at $700 for the option that is actually a reasonable price.

The manual says you have to take the car to the dealer to get the bulbs changed. This would be the case even if just replacing a burned out factory bulb. My dealer charged me $50 to put in the Morimoto bulbs and that included a headlight alignment.

I've had the Morimoto bulbs in my car since the middle of last December, and they are excellent. It took a couple of weeks of use for the bulbs to properly warm up and 'burn in' but now they are simply great. The light is clean, white, and the pattern is very even and uniform. There are no hotspots; especially right in front of the car which the factory bulbs had. Cutoff above the illumination line is excellent and abrupt; the projector housings of the Giulia are well designed. No issues with bounce-back glare in rain or snow.

I've had the occasion to drive by cars on roads with no street lights, and the difference between what my lights illuminate versus what theirs are illuminating is so much better it's amazing. I am very glad I upgraded to these bulbs and I heartily recommend them to anyone who needs better light at night.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I concur. These are nicely bright, a personal requirement for any new car. I ended up retrofitting HID on my prior car after feeling blind at night on some roads.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
For what it is worth, the IIHS gave it's top rated safety score to the Giulia only when it is equipped with the 35w bi-xenons....
FWIW: I had to adjust my headlights down slightly to solve a glare issue. IIHS gave the 25W HID headlights a "poor" due to glare, but they do not bother to check if the headlight adjustment is out of spec. This is seriously disingenuous on their part and they should return a car with defects for repair (with appropriate score penalties) like a normal purchaser would rather than just declare "it's not perfect, so it is a fail".

My "advanced" headlights light up everything with minimal "hot spots", "dark spots", light wastage or "light up the sky". I drive very dark roads frequently and feel far more confident with these headlights than with those of any other vehicle I have driven. The really big plus is that the high beams seem to put just the right amount of light into the "deer zone" (also the pedestrian zone, but peds are not usually seen on really dark roads--except maybe in Martell and Jamestown) on the sides of the road; not distracting but enough to spot the buggers before they jump into the roadway.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There are so many threads on this and i still haven't found someone who compared a photo of the 25W and 35W lights at night time. I honestly don't think 25W can be that bad at night, even on a rural road. Are you guys not turning on your high beams?

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,934 Posts
I have the bi xenon on my qv here in the US but never noticed that they turn when I turn. I tried looking out for it tonight and couldn't tell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts