Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
hi again here is another review https://youtu.be/wMWDAL4xlDs ENJOY!!!!:grin2:
Honestly Sal..having owned both and just driven the ZCP M3 at Monticello....
these cars are evenly matched at a track...the driver will make the difference...
in a straight drag race...Alfa all day...505hp is just sledgehammer fast....
around a track like LRP, MMC, NJMP etc.....will really come down to the driver as I've mentioned before on this Forum AND the M3 Forum
With equally capable drivers...the Alfa will win...it will be very close however
Alfa driver better than M3 driver....Alfa ALL DAY
IF the M3 driver is more capable...nod will go to the M3...

Now even with all that said...the driving experience I have in my Quad was/is head & Shoulders better than my F80 M3 was...
from the steering, chassis, road feel.....just the driving dynamics on the whole...a much more rewarding experience in the Alfa...
where the Alfa lacks is in the creature comforts that we have become used to...principally the infotainment system...ie: real time traffic alot to ask Alfa??? or more than 6 pre-sets for my radio???...silly stuff like that...

·
Registered
641 Posts
.ie: real time traffic alot to ask Alfa??? or more than 6 pre-sets for my radio???...silly stuff like that...
Took me a lot of fiddling around to figure out how to set more than 6 presets. 6 and above are not really presets, but favorites. Simple to access though by hitting the last preset which is marked with a star. That brings up your list of favorites. Set it by going to the station you want to store, highlight the favorite star with the controller and press down to add to favorites list.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think the Giulia is better than it's German counterparts. I know the BMW guys are butt-hurt over this, but it's true. The Giulia isn't just better by the numbers, or better in performance, nearly every automotive journalist that's compared the Giulia to others puts it on top.

Greg

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i agree that it comes down to driver. the car is only an extension of the drivers skills.i would like to form my own opinion of the car after i get it andWILL share it with the forum. I have not driven or owned much after i got married I had a 86 944 that a turned into a turbo plus other mods then moved on to a 95 M3 (NEW)at the end had 425 hp lots of work done but after owning her for ten years i i sold her with 37000 miles to get married.i miss that car. after that and three little girls my wife told me i should go get a toy so i did (well still waiting ... its on the ship coming over as we speak.) when a test drove the giulia it was the first time i felt the same way as i did when i drove my M3 becoming part of the car. and that was just a giulia ti not the QV. i just hope the USA govealfa a chance to prove themselves again. so when are we getting together to just meet and talk about our new toys. let do this. (p.s. my father and I also have a 72 fiat 500 L with 72000 original km on it 95% restored and drivable ).

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I think the Giulia is better than it's German counterparts. I know the BMW guys are butt-hurt over this, but it's true. The Giulia isn't just better by the numbers, or better in performance, nearly every automotive journalist that's compared the Giulia to others puts it on top.

Greg
You have to admit though having your car go into limp mode with a hard code CEL does not help your case, and while the majority of the journalists love the Giulia many (like forum members) have experienced issues with car which go to drivability...
I love my car....even through the issue I had...that is why I did not give up on it....I knew it was something special...
but I was hoping we could be more objective and less Fan-Boy like you know...the other guys:grin2:>:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm an e46 M3 owner and absolutely LOVE that car. Every generation since then, while they have gotten faster/more "techy", has not done anything emotionally for me. Something was lost. And when they split into the M3/M4 nomenclature I felt a bit of the M tradition was gone. Just my opinion. I'm sure the F30s are nice (I think that's the new number designation), but just not for me. I wanted something different that no one else really had with a charismatic/beautiful body style, and still had the racing pedigree to match up with the C63 AMGs/M3s/ATS-Vs of the world. The QV checked all the boxes for me.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I'm an e46 M3 owner and absolutely LOVE that car. Every generation since then, while they have gotten faster/more "techy", has not done anything emotionally for me. Something was lost. And when they split into the M3/M4 nomenclature I felt a bit of the M tradition was gone. Just my opinion. I'm sure the F30s are nice (I think that's the new number designation), but just not for me. I wanted something different that no one else really had with a charismatic/beautiful body style, and still had the racing pedigree to match up with the C63 AMGs/M3s/ATS-Vs of the world. The QV checked all the boxes for me.
Could not agree with you more...like any marque...the next gen should be better than the one it replaced from a performance dynamic...I expect that...but with each Gen of M...the driving dynamic changed...
I skipped over the E46...not sure why honestly...but I have had all Gens of M3...(still have my E30)...and your right...it was time for something different...and while it isn't a manual...the Quad makes me feel like I'm driving an analog car...

·
Registered
580 Posts
You have to admit though having your car go into limp mode with a hard code CEL does not help your case, and while the majority of the journalists love the Giulia many (like forum members) have experienced issues with car which go to drivability...
I love my car....even through the issue I had...that is why I did not give up on it....I knew it was something special...
but I was hoping we could be more objective and less Fan-Boy like you know...the other guys:grin2:>:)
All true, but I think the latest flash revision takes care of those issues you have described (at least it did for us). That's a pretty simply fix, not nearly as bad as BMWs Nikasil issue when the had to replace entire engines.

Greg

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Conspiracy theorist

Maybe I'm a tad suspicious but could there be BMW fanboys invading our sacred forum with tales of "woe" merely to sabotage the Giulia.......Just sayin....>:)

·
Registered
423 Posts
All compact luxury sport sedans right now are pretty awesome, I'm sure I'd be delighted with any of them.

But...for me it comes down to handling. So QV or ATS-V basically. QV is just so good looking!

Just wanted to chime in regarding a general lack of acknowledgement/respect regarding Cadillac's first effort in this segment. Like the QV it is very much performance/driving dynamics first, everything else second. Which I prefer.

I'll overlook a less luxurious/feature-laden interior to enjoy the actual driving experience more.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
All compact luxury sport sedans right now are pretty awesome, I'm sure I'd be delighted with any of them.

But...for me it comes down to handling. So QV or ATS-V basically. QV is just so good looking!

Just wanted to chime in regarding a general lack of acknowledgement/respect regarding Cadillac's first effort in this segment. Like the QV it is very much performance/driving dynamics first, everything else second. Which I prefer.

I'll overlook a less luxurious/feature-laden interior to enjoy the actual driving experience more.
then you better get your ATS-V while you can....Cadillac announced that the ATS, CTS, XTS lines will be phased out...to be replaced by CT4, CT5 and a new SAV/SUV.....they claim that the V-Series will still be available but didn't say in what capacity

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Germans build cars, Italians create them. Best quote I've used in a long time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
then you better get your ATS-V while you can....Cadillac announced that the ATS, CTS, XTS lines will be phased out...to be replaced by CT4, CT5 and a new SAV/SUV.....they claim that the V-Series will still be available but didn't say in what capacity
Thanks for the heads-up! People seem to be getting that confused with Cadillac again renaming everything. The next gen of Cadillac's compact luxury sedan will just be getting a different name...to keep the confusion going!

I was loving the ATS-V for a long time, but I think I've been swayed by the QV! I'm looking forward to driving both however & making a decision.

One of the worst decisions I've made is going on reviews more than my own experience (my 2012 Mustang GT purchase!). I won't do that again.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! People seem to be getting that confused with Cadillac again renaming everything. The next gen of Cadillac's compact luxury sedan will just be getting a different name...to keep the confusion going!

I was loving the ATS-V for a long time, but I think I've been swayed by the QV! I'm looking forward to driving both however & making a decision.

One of the worst decisions I've made is going on reviews more than my own experience (my 2012 Mustang GT purchase!). I won't do that again.
Looking forward to hearing your choice. The Q is the most engaging, beautiful and thrilling car I've ever driven. In fact I'm inspired to go for a quick drive right now (that's never happened to me before)....bye!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It's about the feel. Alfa all the way. The Ti beats up on S4s, 328s, 428s, the Quad kicks ass on their big brothers.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
It was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
647 Posts
Überraschungsangriff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts