Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,411 Posts
is there a service reset required using say multiecuscan tool?
Two service resets are required in my MY2018. One with MES or Torque or similar, and one with tapping the accelerator pedal 3 times at the right speed after turning the car on without starting the engine. The former requires an SGW bypass if you have an SGW. I do not know what is required if you have an MY2020 or later.

Note that the service manual requires a bunch of stuff (mostly inspections) during a 10k service. Being a licensed Alfa dealer means that those hour + worth of checks are also required, and that jacks up the cost. Stevens Creek also throws in a ~$30 value wash and vacuum.

Oh, and changing the cabin filter is worth about $500 (an hour of work that you do not want to do).

I know nothing about Burlingham Alfa.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had to pull out my service order to doublecheck. Oil change was $265, Oil was $23, filter was $17 + disposal and tax
Thanks Envain, that is a huge difference from $800.00 plus, thats worth the $350.00 discount I'll be going to Burlingame if WalNut Creek does not match it.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Had to pull out my service order to doublecheck. Oil change was $265, Oil was $23, filter was $17 + disposal and tax
So $450 was an error on your part, or it included something other than the oil change?
The correct spec oil for the 2.0T costs about $45 at a discount parts store, so if the dealer is charging $23 I would be concerned. $265 for labor seems too high to me, unless you get a loaner with that and can come back the next day to get your car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So $450 was an error on your part, or it included something other than the oil change?
The correct spec oil for the 2.0T costs about $45 at a discount parts store, so if the dealer is charging $23 I would be concerned. $265 for labor seems too high to me unless you get a loaner with that and can come back the next day to get your car.
Yea it was a while ago and some other things we're checked that day. Error on my part. Either way, it's really high for an oil change that could easily be done myself but that day I had to have some other work done so just decided to let them take care of everything.

Also to note, The dealer said they would not reset the Maintenance scheduling alert in the car infotainment system unless oil changes were done by them which I found a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea it was a while ago and some other things we're checked that day. Error on my part. Either way, it's really high for an oil change that could easily be done myself but that day I had to have some other work done so just decided to let them take care of everything.

Also to note, The dealer said they would not reset the Maintenance scheduling alert in the car infotainment system unless oil changes were done by them which I found a bit frustrating.
Would not reset the "Maintenance scheduling alert", that is really uncool, I'm going to call Wal-Nut Creek Alfa in 15 minutes, and check the price, than I will update this Post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow that hurts, have you look into paying for an extended warranty and what the cost.is

surprisingly their extended warranty quote seemed like a decent value.

4 years 50 added on to the original factory 4 years 50... so you get 8 years 100k. coverage is same as the factory warranty. valid at any AR dealership in the country.

think they quoted me like 3100 for the QV (with a 100 deductible).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Envain, that is a huge difference from $800.00 plus, thats worth the $350.00 discount I'll be going to Burlingame if WalNut Creek does not match it.

might be because Envain has a 2.0 and i have the QV. anyhow... burlingame is 350-400 for the QV. probably cheaper for the 2.0. i would guesstimate ~250 or so.. maybe less.

·
Registered
22 Posts
might be because Envain has a 2.0 and i have the QV. anyhow... burlingame is 350-400 for the QV. probably cheaper for the 2.0. i would guesstimate ~250 or so.. maybe less.
Wal Nut Creeks charges $350.00 for none QV and $500.00 QV on the Oil Changes

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ok here's my report on Walnut Creek Alfa. Some weeks ago I had the broken front stabilizer bar link replaced under warranty by them and they decided to replace both front links. While doing the usual multi-point inspection they noticed a tiny leak from the radiator - so tiny that the coolant level had never gone low enough to add more. So they ordered a new radiator right then. Drove the car home and continued to use it until the radiator arrived. Meanwhile the P2422 DTC (evap vent valve stuck closed) started appearing more frequently so it was time to get that taken care of too. I emailed Nick at Walnut Creek about the code. He told me not to clear it this time so they could confirm it and meanwhile they obtained a vapor canister. So when the car went back for the radiator R&R they also confirmed the P2422 and replaced the canister. Since the car was there from Monday noon until noon the following Friday, the dealership paid for a rental from Enterprise (a Mazda CX-5). Nick kept me posted with timely updates and Colin, the shop manager, gave some of his time to talk about the vapor canister and its issues. Car was washed and cleaned up before we returned to pick it up. Nick and Coliin treated us very well and the work done on the car looks good with everything back in place and no missing hardware. This dealership is 2.5 hours away from my home but they make the trip worthwhile and I'm very pleased with their performance and the treatment we received. While I've never tried any of the other Bay area dealerships, I certainly recommend Walnut Creek.

Reactions: RuDog19Giulia

·
Registered
2021 QV
6 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Living in Richmond, Walnut Creek isn't as close as the Berkeley one, but this feedback is very encouraging and makes it worth the drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,
This is my first post since I introduced myself here last week. Also newbie to forums in general, so this is all novel to me & not sure if my post protocol is correct. Please school me as needed.
I'm reaching out cause I recently replaced my wreaked MBZ c300, somewhat hesitantly, with a CPO 2018 Giulia Q2 ti Sport with 10k on the clock. It's my daily driver and as an aside - I absolutely love it...best decision I've made in a long time, and frankly a lot of that decision had to do with this fabulous community and the support, insights and passion I found here. Thx to you all for being here and I hope to be able to reciprocate at some point.

My Giulia has not only been been therapeutic and a source of Italian pride to own, but also flawless for the last 9k I've driven it. So pleased and so attached to it. So now at 19k miles the maintenance light is on and I'm actually concerned about were to service it. Also I've got remaining factory warranty plus additional 3 years CPO, so I think I'm married to Dealer Maintenance for the duration, so as not to jeopardize any possible more serious warranty issues, god forbid.

I work in San Francisco and live in the SoBay near Steven's Creek Alfa-Maserati; San Jose is easiest for me so called them first, but my initial contact attempt there was not great - no call-back..twice. Decided to stop by on my way home and met the advisor, Hanna. As you prob know, this is a small dealership & service dept. with only one advisor, so arguably forgivable that I didn't get a return call. She was attentive, seems knowledgeable, answered my questions and said she could offer an a appointment for that week. Plus I could wait there for the service (2-3 hours) OR, if needed, be given an Enterprise Rental (on them I presume) til service was complete. Then she hit me up with a $700 minimum service estimate for what essentially seems to be an oil/filter change, a few additives, inspections, and brake flush; I asked about checking for soft-wear & bulletins updates, and she said they don't usually unless there was a complaint. Ok so Maserati Prices AND this is is Silicon Valley so $$ range to be expected, but still a bit steep... I found Aron Ohio Alfa dealer in 2018 listed 2nd Giulia service as approx. $300.00. Prob higer now, but its more
than double now.
I then asked her about a small dashboard creek inspection and, surprisingly said there was no guarantee it could be corrected, and if so, its not covered by warranty. I showed her my center console middle arm rest cushion dent, and she said that kind of wear wasn't a warranty item. Ok, so they're tight with warranty service...I can live with that, I think.

I took the appointment for late next week and checked the manual when I got home to see if the items she listed checked out and found a cabin filter is also called for. I tried calling back but no response, of course. Perhaps she missed it, and its included in the $700 cost, but not confidence inspiring that she didn't mention. Decided to chk same service with other area dealers: Burlingame, Walnut Creek, Berkeley, and Marin (didn't realize Cars Dawydiak is Alfa Certified till reading this post). Once I connected to each, all gave me different service requirements and costs. They're as follow:.

Burlingame (Buddy) was the worst at $1800: he read off a list of what sounded like mostly inspection-related items, plus engine oil/filter, Additives, Brake Flush, Spark plugs, & Cabin filter. He was dead serious too that he needed an overnight AND 2 weeks to schedule an a appointment.

Walnut Creek (Steve) Oil/filter, Additives, Air filter, Spark plugs, Inspections, Cabin filter- $1050. I reminded him the car was two years old and brake flush typically required...he said yes, a flush would be approx. $200.00. I could not wait for it, but it should be completed by end of day, no loaner or rental.

Marin (Irwin) Oil/filter, Engine Air & Cabin filters, Inspections, Rotation: $480.00: Brake Flush was additional 250.00, and they do not check typically chk for open bulletins unless I had a specific complaint. I could wait for it (2-3 hours- but he didn't recommend that), no loaner or rental; First available appointment was in 7-10 days.

Berkeley (advisor ?) Oil/filter, Inspections, Rotation, Cabin filter, Brake flush: $650. They'd check for bulletins; Waiting for it was discouraged, no loaner. Closer to Steven's Creek but still a bit steep in price, but def more reasonable than some others, and def not convenient, so not ideal for me.

SF's Cars Dawydiak is closed weekends, so I plan to call again Monday & will update here. SF location works as well for me as Stevens Creek, plus I really like what the Cars D guys are about; I hope their prices are reasonable enough and make sense for me. I had a good reason for not buying a Q4, and it wasn't because of H.P. Right now seems Steven's Creek is my top option, but initial impression makes me feel like I need to pinch my nose, cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Read all previous comments here, v helpful thx. Any additional feedback appreciated, especially if any on how to have helpful (or needed) software / bulletins updates performed.

Thanks much and Forza Italia!

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
When I stopped by Steven's Creek Alfa for my windshield replace Hannah was "busy" (yacking with a coworker?) and I got Mike the Maserati guy. He was attentive and responsive, called back, etc.

The need to replace the cabin filter varies with the environment. I replaced my filter at about 30kmiles and found it was still pretty clean. Spark plug replacement was originally specified at 30k miles, but Alfa revised the advice to 60k miles for all 2.0T models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I stopped by Steven's Creek Alfa for my windshield replace Hannah was "busy" (yacking with a coworker?) and I got Mike the Maserati guy. He was attentive and responsive, called back, etc.

The need to replace the cabin filter varies with the environment. I replaced my filter at about 30kmiles and found it was still pretty clean. Spark plug replacement was originally specified at 30k miles, but Alfa revised the advice to 60k miles for all 2.0T models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thx. Yes, Hannah was chatting with her office mate next door & I waited as well, but not long…forgivable, to me…I’m Italian too & also used to this from Italian trips & family :)
Very different at MBZ service next door. All staff there fall over themselves to cater.

Got it on the filter, thx. Was your 2nd service there & in the 700.00 range?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Thx. Yes, Hannah was chatting with her office mate next door & I waited as well, but not long…forgivable, to me…I’m Italian too & also used to this from Italian trips & family :)
Very different at MBZ service next door. All staff there fall over themselves to cater.

Got it on the filter, thx. Was your 2nd service there & in the 700.00 range?
The only scheduled service that I have had them do is a brake fluid flush for $268.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I called Steven's Creek Alfa yesterday to confirm my 11am appointment today for 20k service and the person answering said she didn't have me on their schedule. I asked for Hannah to be informed and for a callback from her about this, as she was the one who actually inputted the appointment when I visited the dealership last week. No response. Pretty disappointing. My appointment time has now past. I'm leaning towards having the service performed by Indi shop Roselli Foreign Repair (http://rosillifcr.com) mentioned here; the place looks promising online. I called and got a callback in minutes from Roberto. Comforting conversation and service description was spot-on from what Alfa manual outlined, plus $300 less. Granted no loaner and they can't perform warranty work, but Roberto said if they did find a warranty issue, they'd point it out and help me get it resolved via a Alfa dealer. Not sure how well that would go over with a dealer, but we shall see. Unless someone here post some big red flag regarding this shop, I'll prob try them and update on how things go.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
852 Posts
I called Steven's Creek Alfa yesterday to confirm my 11am appointment today for 20k service and the person answering said she didn't have me on their schedule. I asked for Hannah to be informed and for a callback from her about this, as she was the one who actually inputted the appointment when I visited the dealership last week. No response. Pretty disappointing. My appointment time has now past. I'm leaning towards having the service performed by Indi shop Roselli Foreign Repair (http://rosillifcr.com) mentioned here; the place looks promising online. I called and got a callback in minutes from Roberto. Comforting conversation and service description was spot-on from what Alfa manual outlined, plus $300 less. Granted no loaner and they can't perform warranty work, but Roberto said if they did find a warranty issue, they'd point it out and help me get it resolved via a Alfa dealer. Not sure how well that would go over with a dealer, but we shall see. Unless someone here post some big red flag regarding this shop, I'll prob try them and update on how things go.
As long as you're not taking your Fiat 850 engine there for a rebuild, I guess you're safe. My father paid them a lot of money to rebuild his 850 motor and got SHIT work back. I'm re-doing the work right now...

·
Registered
14 Posts
As long as you're not taking your Fiat 850 engine there for a rebuild, I guess you're safe. My father paid them a lot of money to rebuild his 850 motor and got SHIT work back. I'm re-doing the work right now...
Sorry to hear this, but thanks for the heads up. I'll stay away now. That really stinks. How they screw up. And would love to see your finished 850 project when done.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts