Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have an especially good service experience at a bay area dealer? Im looking to establish a relationship with a dealer's service department and would love some input. Im closest to stevens creek maserati/alfa and livermore maserati/alfa but still driving distance to the alfa dealers in berkeley, burlingame, and walnut creek. thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion of which SF Bay Area service department might be best? I'm nearest Stevens Creek in San Jose, but they seem to be a bit flighty (not answering the phone at the service department, no loaner cars).

I could use Dawydiak in SF or Alfa Romeo of Burlingame, but I have no experience with either. Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I chose to go to the Walnut Creek dealer because Berkeley is paired with cars that are less babied (compared to Maserati) and the shop space is more crowded. They were great to deal with. Customer service was very important. They did not have any loaner cars though...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’ve had really good experiences at Dawydiak, from regular maintenance (10k and 20k services), to special requests (prewired to full CarPlay), to repairs (damaged wheels and bent tie rod after hitting pothole on 101).

They are extremely detail-oriented, and work on cars worth significantly more than ours (last time there was a Pagani in the shop). Also their showroom is like walking through a dream garage (they’re also a consignment shop for generally high-end and/or unique vehicles).

That all being said, they don’t have loaners. Or at least that’s been my experience: they once paid for an enterprise rental for me, but that was an outlier.

Regardless, I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, Roo. I have an appointment tomorrow at Dawydiak for my 10K. I'll try to find time to look through the garage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So far I’ve only used Livermore Alfa Romeo. By far I haven’t had any major issues with them. Will be visiting them again Monday for an electronic throttle control issue.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
123 Posts
3 year oil change - $800?

I recommend Burlingame, but I recently leased a Stelvio from Steven's Creek for my wife and had a chat with the manager there about their service dept. He claims they're focused on making it the best, so challenge them on it. I'm super close to Steven's Creek so I hope they get their act together. For now I'm getting good service from Burlingame. They happily updated my Quattroformaggio with all the latest firmware, so I now have speedo in Race Mode as well as no beeping of parking sensors in Park. I've heard stories here about dealers who wouldn't do any updates unless there was a recall or other circumstances that forces them to do so. Zero issues with Burlingame, they were happy to do it. That's 5-star service. Couldn't get a loaner, though. My wife damn near didn't get another Alfa due to the crappy service at Stevens Creek and no loaners.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 10K oil change was about $800. If you look at their breakdown half of it or even a little more than half is labor charge. I wonder if it’s because of the fact you have to take apart the top half of the engine bay to reach the oil filter on the QV or maybe they just charge a ridiculous amount hourly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the 3 last years, I've gone exclusively to Walnut Creek. They're only open from Mon - Fri, but Henry's team there has always taken great care of my cars. No loaners, but they can arrange an Enterprise rental car for longer services.

Their team is certified for Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini, and starting soon: McLaren. All of the service writers and technicians are very humble and approachable. From my experience, they treat everyone to a VIP experience, regardless of the vehicle you bring you. I'll never forget Henry + a technician investing the time to diagnose, and remedy a farting sport-seat bolster bladder in 2017 on my Ti, during Alfa's launch year. They even took the time to videotape their diagnosis, and the ad hoc fix they devised (since there were no bulletins on this at the time), and send it back to Alfa HQ in Italy for analysis.

Walnut Creek's pricing is not on the cheap side though! I think it the hourly rate is $210 for Bentley, $190 for Maserati, and $175 for Alfa, or something close to that. I may need to shop around when it's time to pay out-of-pocket for my QV's 2nd year annual service later this year.

I had a quick glance at the Berkeley service garage back in 2017, when I visited their showroom. Wasn't impressed with seeing a cavalcade of dirty (some were mud covered) Jeep Grand Cherokees, Wranglers roll out of their service bay - which were met by looks of equally unimpressed owners of those vehicles collecting them from service. A FIAT owner specifically asked why their car wasn't washed, and the technician replied a complementary car wash is not included in any service. Maybe they include washes when servicing premium brands like Volvo and Alfa.

Other forum members have posted positive experiences at Marin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For the 3 last years, I've gone exclusively to Walnut Creek. They're only open from Mon - Fri, but Henry's team there has always taken great care of my cars. No loaners, but they can arrange an Enterprise rental car for longer services.

Their team is certified for Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini, and starting soon: McLaren. All of the service writers and technicians are very humble and approachable. From my experience, they treat everyone to a VIP experience, regardless of the vehicle you bring you. I'll never forget Henry + a technician investing the time to diagnose, and remedy a farting sport-seat bolster bladder in 2017 on my Ti, during Alfa's launch year. They even took the time to videotape their diagnosis, and the ad hoc fix they devised (since there were no bulletins on this at the time), and send it back to Alfa HQ in Italy for analysis.

Walnut Creek's pricing is not on the cheap side though! I think it the hourly rate is $210 for Bentley, $190 for Maserati, and $175 for Alfa, or something close to that. I may need to shop around when it's time to pay out-of-pocket for my QV's 2nd year annual service later this year.

I had a quick glance at the Berkeley service garage back in 2017, when I visited their showroom. Wasn't impressed with seeing a cavalcade of dirty (some were mud covered) Jeep Grand Cherokees, Wranglers roll out of their service bay - which were met by looks of equally unimpressed owners of those vehicles collecting them from service. A FIAT owner specifically asked why their car wasn't washed, and the technician replied a complementary car wash is not included in any service. Maybe they include washes when servicing premium brands like Volvo and Alfa.

Other forum members have posted positive experiences at Marin.
sounds like I might be going to Walnut Creek next. Livermore Alfa has had my car for over a week for warranty work. No loaners provided and they would not pay for a rental through a rental company either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
3 year oil change - $800?

I recommend Burlingame, but I recently leased a Stelvio from Steven's Creek for my wife and had a chat with the manager there about their service dept. He claims they're focused on making it the best, so challenge them on it. I'm super close to Steven's Creek so I hope they get their act together. For now I'm getting good service from Burlingame. They happily updated my Quattroformaggio with all the latest firmware, so I now have speedo in Race Mode as well as no beeping of parking sensors in Park. I've heard stories here about dealers who wouldn't do any updates unless there was a recall or other circumstances that forces them to do so. Zero issues with Burlingame, they were happy to do it. That's 5-star service. Couldn't get a loaner, though. My wife damn near didn't get another Alfa due to the crappy service at Stevens Creek and no loaners.
Planning to buy an Alfa from Stevens Creek soon, so disappointed to read this service-related feedback. I asked about loaners and was told they don't offer them currently, however, are supposedly working on offering them in the future. For now, was told about a nearby Enterprise rental car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Planning to buy an Alfa from Stevens Creek soon, so disappointed to read this service-related feedback. I asked about loaners and was told they don't offer them currently, however, are supposedly working on offering them in the future. For now, was told about a nearby Enterprise rental car.
Stevens Creek typically offers a shuttle or Uber to/from your home or work (within a reasonable distance). They did offer me a rental car of my choice from Enterprise free of charge once, when they didn't have a shuttle driver. The choices at Enterprise weren't great, so don't expect too much. That service visit ended up taking about 3 days. Hannah has been my service advisor for all of my 4 or so visits, and in general my experience at Stevens Creek has been fairly positive.

Mine was purchased from Rodney at Seaside Alfa Romeo. The purchase experience was excellent with 0 BS. If I were in the market for another car for a brand their dealership network carries, I wouldn't hesitate to speak to Rodney again.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Stevens Creek typically offers a shuttle or Uber to/from your home or work (within a reasonable distance). They did offer me a rental car of my choice from Enterprise free of charge once, when they didn't have a shuttle driver. The choices at Enterprise weren't great, so don't expect too much. That service visit ended up taking about 3 days. Hannah has been my service advisor for all of my 4 or so visits, and in general my experience at Stevens Creek has been fairly positive.

Mine was purchased from Rodney at Seaside Alfa Romeo. The purchase experience was excellent with 0 BS. If I were in the market for another car for a brand their dealership network carries, I wouldn't hesitate to speak to Rodney again.
How is Steven's Creek Alfa regarding installing requested updates? Steven's Creek is walking distance for me and I have a spare car so loaners and such are not important. However, communication (reportedly very bad at Steven's Creek) and a willingness to get what I need done is very important. Post #7 seems to indicate that Burlingham is good with getting updates done.

My car is out of warranty and at this point I plan to do all servicing that I can myself. However, Alfa/FCA is not letting NAFTA customers update the SW; a dealer has to do it. At least some modules can be updated by the customer in Europe.

My last 2 service visits have been with Walnut Creek. They appeared to be offended that my car had modifications* and did not complete SW updates that I requested even after I offered to pay and take responsibility for an compatibility issues.

* Fiammenghi valved exhaust, EC V2 intake, GFB valve (which they did not notice), RDNA switch (Race is not yet enabled).

·
Registered
2 Posts
How is Steven's Creek Alfa regarding installing requested updates? Steven's Creek is walking distance for me and I have a spare car so loaners and such are not important. However, communication (reportedly very bad at Steven's Creek) and a willingness to get what I need done is very important. Post #7 seems to indicate that Burlingham is good with getting updates done.

My car is out of warranty and at this point I plan to do all servicing that I can myself. However, Alfa/FCA is not letting NAFTA customers update the SW; a dealer has to do it. At least some modules can be updated by the customer in Europe.

My last 2 service visits have been with Walnut Creek. They appeared to be offended that my car had modifications* and did not complete SW updates that I requested even after I offered to pay and take responsibility for an compatibility issues.

* Fiammenghi valved exhaust, EC V2 intake, GFB valve (which they did not notice), RDNA switch (Race is not yet enabled).
I brought it in for warranty work due to the head unit shutting off randomly. The paperwork noted that the tech updated the software version, but would not diagnose further unless the head unit was returned to stock condition. Apparently they were not happy that I tapped the rear speaker wires in the door as an input signal for an aftermarket amp and subwoofer. They weren't bothered at all by the exhaust. I don't think they would have an issue working on the head unit if that system is still stock.

Give them a call and ask, the worst they can do is say no.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I took my car to walnut creek for infotainment issues. They first updated it but that didn't solve my issues so they ended up replacing the unit. They updated it again and still the same issue persists plus additional codes are now stored in the computer ecu. As far as the dealership goes, they are friendly and professional. They didn't do a good job putting my car back together but after chatting with the service manager, they went above and beyond to correct the issues. I would personally avoid the service advisor by the name Lynnette

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I had a no-nonsense, unremarkable, but perfectly sufficient experience @ Stevens Creek AutoNation AR dealership for my 10K service.

·
Vendor
1,049 Posts
I took my car to walnut creek for infotainment issues. They first updated it but that didn't solve my issues so they ended up replacing the unit. They updated it again and still the same issue persists plus additional codes are now stored in the computer ecu. As far as the dealership goes, they are friendly and professional. They didn't do a good job putting my car back together but after chatting with the service manager, they went above and beyond to correct the issues. I would personally avoid the service advisor by the name Lynnette
Hi,
I'm so sorry to hear this. Did you ever get your infotainment concern addressed? I would be happy to assist.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used Walnut Creek as well for the 1-yr service and a couple of warranty issues. I was pretty satisfied with the yearly service and had mixed results with the warranty issues. They software update they performed was incomplete (updated only the ETM, not the modules even when the bulletin called for it). Also, the infotainment issue is still going back and forth between them and FCA and is still unresolved.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
IF I may hazard a psudeo-statistical-analysis here, I think the emerging theme nationwide is:
where the dealer is not careless-about-customer-relationship,
the overall work quality is more or less a lottery.

@AlfaRomeoCares : Please note. This really comes down to sufficiency of training of your technicians @ dealerships.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I chose to go to the Walnut Creek dealer because Berkeley is paired with cars that are less babied (compared to Maserati) and the shop space is more crowded. They were great to deal with. Customer service was very important. They did not have any loaner cars though...
good to know, im in Lafayette... and was not sure about the WC dealership

1 - 20 of 21 Posts