Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on best oil to replace, top off? Dealer said 0W30 synthetic.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
many threads on this, i'd do a search for the options. It should be the correct spec as per the manual so not just the 0W30. Can get from the dealer themselves or I found some in Autozone but the stock will depend on local availability.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you

·
Registered
647 Posts
Speedoc, there has been a lot of discussion in a number of threads here over the confusion on what exact oils should be used in our Giulia's. You don't specify which model of Giulia you own. I am one who only uses an oil that specifically shows on the bottle the correct Fiat spec, see below. There are only about 5 oils in the US that meet these specs. Just because an oil is 0W-30 or 0W-40 and synthetic doesn't mean it automatically meets the Fiat spec. Over the last year or so members have said to use Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Amsoil, and various other oils. I even called Castrol USA and they conformed their oil was not specified for our Giulia's. The only oil that seems to be readily available that meets the specs are two Pennzoil Platinum oils, see the two exact Pennzoil oils listed below. They come only in the gray bottle, not yellow, etc. The descriptions, viscosity and container colors of other Pennzoil synthetic are very similar but not the exact same. I was down one bar on my oil level indicator on my 2.0L Giulia after about 1500 miles. I went online and found the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 at Advanced Auto Parts/CarQuest. They could have shipped it to me but I opted to pick it up at the local store. Very smooth purchase. I was very careful and started by adding/topping off with only 4 ounces. That brought the oil level back up to 6 bars and has remained there for my current 4k miles. Two of our local Giulia dealer's service/parts say they use Mopar 0W-30, shipped to them by Alfa??? However, I find zero confirmation that this Chrysler oil meets the Fiat spec.

I have PM'd AlfaRomeoCares in late December about this (said they would get back to me but never did), again in March and again a day ago. I still have yet to receive an answer. I am very picky about what oil I put in my wonderful Giulia, especially since I understand the engine tolerances are very tight and thus the thin 0W-30 or 0W-40 viscosity oil. I also have read that given the sensitivity and tight tolerances of the Giulia MultiAir units, it is well worth sticking to the approved grade and use whatever is currently recommended. I sure wish Alfa Romeo would clearly address this oil issue and what specific oils are approved here in the USA and other market.

Chuck

Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 ----- Fiat 9.55535-GS1 for Giulia 2.0L --- Giulia Base and Ti mdoels
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...ro_LX_SAE_0W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 ----- Fiat 9.55535-Z2 for Giulia 2.9L --- Giulia QV/Quadrifoglio
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...m_Euro_SAE_0W-40_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

Other oils in the US include: Shell Helix Ultra ECT... Fuchs Titan GT1 ... BP Formula Elite

Also it seems that a Mopar 0W-30 and maybe Mopar 0W-40 Oils are approved. It would sure be nice to have Alfa verify that what specific Mopar oils are Ok to use. Below I have a photo of the front and back of the oil for the 2.0L Giulia.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great and thorough reply. Thank you. Mine is the Quadrifoglio. I will look into what you have recommended and certainly appreciate the input.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Great and thorough reply. Thank you. Mine is the Quadrifoglio. I will look into what you have recommended and certainly appreciate the input.
Sorry Doc, some more confusion! I now can't find anyone selling the Pennzoil for the 2.9L, including the Advanced Auto Parts. Perhaps Pennzoil keeps changing the description and bottle color. This one might be a replacement? I would check the back of the bottle. Hopefully Afla will confirm if that Mopar Oil is OK. I'm sure some might think I'm too obsessive, but I like to know I'm using the correct oil in a 45K to 90k car!

Chuck :nerd:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...VCv5kCh2KiwQgEAMYAyAAEgIav_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: Clarkebb

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Like most of us, I have gone round and round with the oil worries. After I picked up some lash in my valve train before I had the supercharger added, I went with Mobil 1 0w40 in my Miata even though it was 5w30 spec. The Mobil 1 is known to shear down to a heavy 30 at long oil use intervals. It has performed very well and I think totally outclasses everything else I have used over the years, especially in winter. I am not too concerned about using it in the Quad, especially since it is already a 0 weight cold side. The oil passages for the valve train AND cylinder deactivation system should be fine. But with the turbos, I would avoid going any lighter than the specified weight on either side, cold or hot. I even went this last year with a Shell 5w40 Turbo Diesel in the 360. It is only out of spec by one class. I think SM as opposed to SN. It is designed for multi fleet use and low particulate so not a real threat for cats and so on. I just ordered 2 cases of Penzoil Platinum Euro spec 5w40 with the Ferrari logo and all, but don't need to change it until fall since the service last August. I had overfilled it a bit (common dang dry sump) but FoNE drained some and gave me a new filter since they broke the sender during the alternator and cable job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
JuliaQ4-Nut - My Alfa dealer parts dept likewise said that Alfa sends them the Mopar 0w30 oil. It is Mopar MaxPro 0w30 that is labelled as meeting the MS-13340 spec that is one of the specs cited in my owner's manual for my 2017 2.0 TI. The owner's manual also lists a 9.55535-GS1 spec., which I think is a Fiat spec. I guess the question is does the correct oil have to meet both specs, or is it an either or requirement? The Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 bottle lists it as meeting the Fiat spec but does not mention the Mopar spec.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I would be much more worried about diesel versus "benzine" spec since it can do real damage. But then again the hydraulic lifters and other new micro passages my be touchy with detergents and all that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to find this, after looking at your link. Is this the same stuff?

Pennzoil 550036272- Platinum Euro SAE 0W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart

·
Registered
203 Posts
As I understand the reason for Fiat spec oil has mostly to do with the oil vapor recovery system. The spec requires a very high purity oil. The Pennzoil that meets the spec is made from natural gas, not oil. Direct injection engines tend to get carbon deposits on the back of the valves from the oil vapor recovery. On port injection cars this carbon gets washed away by the detergents in the gasoline. It can be very expensive to have the carbon removed, and it lowers performance if it builds up too much.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
That looks right. Excellent point Greg! I forgot about direct injection. Turning auto stop start off may help there too ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool. Thank you.

·
Registered
647 Posts
JuliaQ4-Nut - My Alfa dealer parts dept likewise said that Alfa sends them the Mopar 0w30 oil. It is Mopar MaxPro 0w30 that is labelled as meeting the MS-13340 spec that is one of the specs cited in my owner's manual for my 2017 2.0 TI. The owner's manual also lists a 9.55535-GS1 spec., which I think is a Fiat spec. I guess the question is does the correct oil have to meet both specs, or is it an either or requirement? The Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 bottle lists it as meeting the Fiat spec but does not mention the Mopar spec.
Thanks bergen for that info. I forgot about the MS-13340 spec. MacGeek posted about the specs quite some time ago. I'll have to check the Mopar 0W-30 bottle to confirm.

Greg, yes my bottle of Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 clearly states: Made From Natural Gas.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Seems to me the hardest thing would be to add the correct amount. No dip stick is foolish.

Reactions: 19737

·
Registered
647 Posts
cool. Thank you.
After some more research, it looks like Pennzoil has now changed the bottle to yellow, and the name of the Pennzoil for the Quad. It appears to be Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 Full Synthetic. This Pennzoil has good prices at Walmart and is available at Amazon and Advance. Apparently comes in 1qt, 5qt jug and 6pk. Be careful Walmart has the wrong photo on some pages. My head is spinning, what's new? Just be sure to look and see that it specifically meets:

Giulia base and Ti, 2.0 T4 ----- Synthetic SAE 0W30, API SN, ACEA C2, Chrysler MS-13340, FIAT 9.55535-GS1.

Giulia Quad, 2.9 V6 ----- Synthetic SAE 0W40, API SN, ACEA A3/B4, Chrysler MS-12991, FIAT 9.55535-Z2.

In these photos for the Quad, click on the back photo and then click again and you can see the Fiat spec 9.55535-
Z2 listed. BTW, what is FIAT 9.55535 - M2 spec?

:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Seems to me the hardest thing would be to add the correct amount. No dip stick is foolish.
As I posted before add 4 ounces at a time until the 6th bar lights up, simple! Each bar = 8.5 ounces.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
As I posted before add 4 ounces at a time until the 6th bar lights up, simple! Each bar = 8.5 ounces.
Seems more rediculous than simple. Dip stick please.>:)

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
898 Posts
This is very useful and thanks Julia Q4-Nut for the lengthy but nicely detailed write-up. For my 2.0 Giulia, I was able to locate the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 (Part # 550043041), in stock at Advanced Auto Parts about 13 miles from my work address. I will pick some up so that i have some on hand in case needed for a top-up.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.