Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer told me that the battery has terminals inside of the engine bay so if the battery is dead, which will prevent you from opening the trunk, you can manually unlock the doors and then the hood to access these terminals which can jump the battery.

Anyone else told this or know where they are? I've tried looking all over but can't find them.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
This is not uncommon for Alfas...My 1991 164 S has a port on the firewall in front of the driver to allow for jumping of the battery....Battery is placed in the trunk as well for better weight distribution....In our Giulias they are also located on the firewall (kind of)...along the plastic cover just ahead of the windshield wipers you will see a tab marked + and one marked - ....lifting the tabs will expose the charging ports....

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I lifted the lid but don't see a cylinder shaped terminal. I do 2 slats that I'm guessing is the positive terminal?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
from manual :

Unfortunately, the text and the pictures provided by AR are not accurate, or easy to understand.

At the firewall, just off-center, near the wiper stem, is a red flap that you need to open. Then, from the top you look down and can see the positive terminal. It is difficult to put a jumper in as the opening is very small.

On the front right side of the engine bay is the negative terminal. This looks exactly like a battery post and is not covered.

I had to expand my jumper cable to fit. This is easy, usually. Just pull on the cable ends and the plastic insulation will tear down the middle allowing the jumpers to be farther apart.

I'll take a few pictures of my Ti and post them later.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I lifted the lid but don't see a cylinder shaped terminal. ...?
It's a small aluminium colored post towards the front of the car, although, to be honest, you could probably use any piece of bare metal as ground point ;)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sorry for the mis info....I saw the positive one and just assumed the negative pole was positioned in a similar manner....

Reactions: jwq2

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,903 Posts
I just went out to check my car. First remove a black cover, keeping in mind the correct orientation for re-installation. Under that is a red cover that is spring loaded, a bit tricky to lift, and in the way once it is lifted. Under that is a small blade that most jumper cable clamps will have trouble getting on. It might be best to carry an adapter to bring that blade up and out enough that tow truck jumper cables can get on it. I do not know if a commercial product is available.

The blade is small, I doubt that you can get enough current into it to start the car from it. Instead get enough charge through to open the trunk, then reconnect the jumpers directly to the battery.

If your center rear seat folds and you do not have too much junk stored in the trunk you can alternatively open the trunk with a stick by pushing on the emergency trunk release (center bottom of the inside of the trunk lid, I believe it is glow in the dark).

If Alfa had simply made the seat back releases available from the interior of the car like other manufacturers none of this would be necessary...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Terminal Location(s)

This is from my 2017 Giulia Ti, North American version. I suspect that ALL Giulia bodies are the same. If yours is different, please add pictures and the model specifics.

Engine bay overview

Negative post

Positive post location

Remove this cover

Lift up this red cover (start in engine bay, finish on top, use two hands)

Attach positive jumper on this copper terminal. There's not much room, it's difficult.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Attach positive jumper on this copper terminal. There's not much room, it's difficult.
I found that U shaped metal object on my QV. Just wasn't sure it was the pos terminal.

Thanks everyone for confirming

·
Registered
147 Posts
The negative is a bright raw aluminum post, same size or larger than the average battery post. The positive terminal is under a red cover, that is under a black cover, near center on the cowl by the wipers. IT IS ONLY two little blades, and the pocket is rather small, but an average jumper cable can get onto it. As it happens, I have jumped a car from my Giovanna, and it isn't that difficult.

I would HATE to have to get to the battery itself.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Battery is in the trunk on the right side under the side panel. Very easy to get to, unless the battery is dead. The trunk does not open if the battery is dead. You'll have to jump it in the engine compartment. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is from my 2017 Giulia Ti, North American version. I suspect that ALL Giulia bodies are the same. If yours is different, please add pictures and the model specifics.
Interesting. Mine's a 2017 Giulia Veloce (basically the Ti), RHD Australian version. The negative post is in the same spot, but the positive terminal is in front, and fairly easy to clip into.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Interesting. Mine's a 2017 Giulia Veloce (basically the Ti), RHD Australian version. The negative post is in the same spot, but the positive terminal is in front, and fairly easy to clip into.
And the moral of the story is....

A Giulia is not a Giulia is not a Giulia is not ....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Wow. I wonder if a large, long handle screwdriver (like in the tire kit or is that a Philips head?) could be wedged into the u post with enough shaft left above the scupper, to clamp the jumper cable onto it a little more easily?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Wow. I wonder if a large, long handle screwdriver (like in the tire kit or is that a Philips head?) could be wedged into the u post with enough shaft left above the scupper, to clamp the jumper cable onto it a little more easily?
I can get a standard (USA) jumper onto both of my under-hood terminals. I've had to do it twice now. The positive terminal is a pain, but doable.

Side note: They've had to replace my battery on both occasions.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
I used my Giulia to jump my daughter's car last winter, and did not have any problems attaching the cables.
It was only after I successfully jumped the car that I read all the horror stories about the chaos this caused to the electrical systems in some people's cars. Had I known the risks, I probably would not have attempted it.
Proof that Giulia is more than just a pretty face!

Attachments

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I used my Giulia to jump my daughter's car last winter, and did not have any problems attaching the cables.
It was only after I successfully jumped the car that I read all the horror stories about the chaos this caused to the electrical systems in some people's cars. Had I known the risks, I probably would not have attempted it.
Proof that Giulia is more than just a pretty face!
The potential problem with using your car to jump another car, and this is common across all modern cars not just the Giulia, is that if you leave the engine running, it puts a load on the alternator and a drop in the rest of the system. The system, because of the computer(s), does not like the momentary electrical current drop. It could potentially fry something expensive. It also forces the alternator to put out maximum power momentarily, which isn't usually an issue, but it could finish an already weak alternator.

The easy protection is simply turn off the engine. Do not even leave it in accessory mode. OFF. Then it's only the battery that's being used to start the other car. Protected.

Sometimes you will need to charge the other battery for ten or fifteen minutes first. There isn't really much advantage to leave your engine running while charging the second battery, even though I usually do it anyway. Just make sure to shut off your engine before trying to start the other car.

I've used our Giulia to jump another car or two without issue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.