Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the many 'posts' on the positive battery terminal block does one use to charge the battery?

The manual tells us to use the + terminal of the battery, but you really can't easily get at it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
A photo here would be extremely important....D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Which of the many 'posts' on the positive battery terminal block does one use to charge the battery?

The manual tells us to use the + terminal of the battery, but you really can't easily get at it.
I just used one connected to screw of one of the main fuses, with the correct diameter for the eyelet on my charger cable as permanent (trickle) charge point....
If it's just for incidental charging, you can also of course use the positive and negative connectors meant for this in the engine bay.....

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just used one connected to screw of one of the main fuses, with the correct diameter for the eyelet on my charger cable as permanent (trickle) charge point....
If it's just for incidental charging, you can also of course use the positive and negative connectors meant for this in the engine bay.....
I had a hard time finding the positive terminal in the engine bay because the owner's manual is really unclear about its location. Turns out it's nowhere near the negative terminal. It's actually located at the back of the engine bay, in front of the passenger side wiper.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,194 Posts
Installing the AR battery maintainer permanent harness, I had to install a small stack of washers to get the ring on said terminal. Otherwise the terminal would bend so much I could not get the cover back on.

I found the negative lead more challenging. I reamed out the eyelet and bent it quite a bit to get it onto the terminal. It is probably better to connect to the chassis.

Although the maintainer is Alfa Romeo branded it actually is a generic charger with no Alfa Romeo specific leads or instructions. Alfa could do better...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
hi jwq
could you repost these as they have timed out

also interested to know which exact positive terminal post to attach a charger to (i believe it needs to charge through the IBS ?? )

anywhere on that hub of terminals ? or is it this one ?
For the pos terminal I used, see pics above. This was convenient for me...
And yes, you have to go via IBS. This is connected to Negative terminal. If you go via chassis (as in my pic), you always go via the IBS, so no mistake possible ;)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
thanks

i cant see where on the negative passes through IBS
The high-current measurement shunt for the IBS is connected between the battery negative pole and car main ground connection on battery, so all current connected to chassis will go via IBS

example:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts