Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping to finally pull the trigger soon on a Giulia and upgrade from my old beater.

I briefly drove my friend's Giulia that has the sport seats. I remember disliking the side bolsters, and I think they were deflated/spread outward as much as possible. It was also not ergonomic to rest my right elbow on the center console, but I can't recall if the console was too low (the seat was as low as possible) or if the bolster was in the way. Has anyone else had these issues with the sport seats? (5'11" ~180 lbs)

Conversely, while I've never sat in the base seat, it visibly looks like your elbow could more easily rest on the center console without obstruction. I'd be perfectly happy with a normal seat for a normal person, don't intend to be taking hard turns at 80mph on a track. But in several older threads from 3-5 years ago, a lot of people expressed unhappiness with other aspects of the base seats. A lack of support via thigh extension and, more importantly to me, a lack of seat base tilt. My understanding is that any sport seat post-2020 now has that base tilt, but what about in non-sport seat? Was tilt ever introduced for that? Specifically, I'm looking at a 2021 with the base seats. I also do a ton of multi-hour highway driving, so comfort is paramount.

Other than that, does anyone have other input on base vs sport seats?

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
796 Posts
I have the base seats in my 2020. I had driven demo cars with the sport seats, and while they're very supportive I felt too confined. Also, I was concerned about long-term wear on the outer bolster leather from ingress/egress. Has anyone reported on excessive wear on the sport bolster? The base seats for me are comfortable for long drives; one mod I made was to install the Centerline seat tilt kit. Simple install and adds some extra thigh support.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I have the base seats in my 2020. I had driven demo cars with the sport seats, and while they're very supportive I felt too confined. Also, I was concerned about long-term wear on the outer bolster leather from ingress/egress. Has anyone reported on excessive wear on the sport bolster? The base seats for me are comfortable for long drives; one mod I made was to install the Centerline seat tilt kit. Simple install and adds some extra thigh support.
+1

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,267 Posts
I have the sport seats and find them very comfortable, including lumbar and thigh support. I am very disappointed in the seats in my wife's Stelvio Lusso but don't know how similar they are to the Giulia's base seats.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sports Seats! Agree with DenverGiulia that it feels better to sit in the seat rather than on it. Every person different so good to sit in and adjust bolsters to see if you feel the fit is right!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a 2018 base and while the sport seats would be great, I have to say I also enjoy mine and have been told by some sport seat owners, that it can get old quickly.
I do have to ask about the seat tilt kit though, as my seats tilt and I thought it was the sports that didn’t.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The base seats are more comfortable than they look. But yeah lack of thigh adjustment and lack of the thigh area tilting upward can be noticeable on long drives. And being a regular out at the canyons myself, there isn't enough side bolstering when driving at or near the limits but it isn't that bad.

Overall the base ones are fine if you don't plan to do lengthy road trips.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
I don't think any sport seats, no matter the year, come with tilt. Base seats may, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Sport with trailer hitch
3,338 Posts
I have a stelvio with regular seats and had giulia with sports seats and the difference between the two is night and day to me. The regular seats have absolutely zero lateral support. You can slide around in them very easily. The sport seats immediately feel like a perfect fit to me and hold me in place while also being mote comfortable imo.

I just had a stelvio with sport seats in it and they're very lucky they got it back with the same seats in it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Personal preference for the most part.

IMO the base seats look terrible, my previous CRV had more bolstering than the base seats which is pathetic. When I was shopping I sat on the base seats and the sport seats, the sport felt similar, but look 1000x better. I'm 6'1" and ~185lbs, they don't pinch, and they provide support when needed, but I can adjust for more or less hugging. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Really appreciate all the feedback so far! The Centerline seat tilt kit sounds like a great little mod if someone does go with the base seats. For someone embarrassingly unhandy like me, is it a pretty simple job?

By the way, the base seats still have lumbar adjustment, right?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a stelvio with regular seats and had giulia with sports seats and the difference between the two is night and day to me. The regular seats have absolutely zero lateral support. You can slide around in them very easily. The sport seats immediately feel like a perfect fit to me and hold me in place while also being mote comfortable imo.

I just had a stelvio with sport seats in it and they're very lucky they got it back with the same seats in it.
Agree with this 100%. I just had a base Stelvio for a week as a loaner while my front bumper cover was being repainted, and those seats offered very little lateral support. Now, if you want a good ab workout every time you go for a spirited drive, then the base seats might be the way to go. Otherwise, I’d never spec an Alfa without the sport seats.

• Haha
Reactions: AlfaCharger

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love my car but I messed up not opting for sports seats. That’s the only thing that makes my car feel average. I love driving and I’m medium to small build and with sticker tires and coilovers it doesn’t take much to slide around in the base leather seats. Might save up and pay for qvs or sport seats or just stop playing and install racing bucket

1 - 20 of 46 Posts