Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming back from Brooklyn to Westchester on the Bronx River I was caught watching a sloppy driver making sure to avoid being hit I let pothole that looked like a foot deep, but not crazy wide, slip through and whack my front right good. The wheel looks like it’s probably fixable without a paint job, the mark is my sad finger wiping away the brake dust and my tears:crying: Looks like I’m making a call to Proformance over in New Rochelle to fix the wheel.

Sorry the photo orientation is screwy...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah kinda surprised me the impact it had. The pothole looked like it was barley bigger than the footprint of the tire but really deep. It is what it is. I went through about half a dozen pirelli’s on my S3 with sidewall bubbles but this impact was pretty big. Still worth the trip to see the yoga instructor I’m seeing who lives in Brooklyn though so I can’t complain too much :wink2:

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Coming back from Brooklyn to Westchester on the Bronx River I was caught watching a sloppy driver making sure to avoid being hit I let pothole that looked like a foot deep, but not crazy wide, slip through and whack my front right good. The wheel looks like it’s probably fixable without a paint job, the mark is my sad finger wiping away the brake dust and my tears:crying: Looks like I’m making a call to Proformance over in New Rochelle to fix the wheel.

Sorry the photo orientation is screwy...
I hope you have better luck with them (ProFormance) than I did when I bent my driver's side front rim.
When I went to see them, they said they could not repair it for 2 reasons, 1st was where the bend was (I have Dark 5 hole) and secondly, they said they were afraid that the paint would spider-web/crack when they tried.
yours looks pretty straightforward mine was in an odd spot,
if anyone can fix it though they can...good luck!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ouch. Best of luck to you in getting it fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
unlucky pal, this is part of the reason I never use my own cars driving that way, the amount of crap that hits the car, potholes and idiot drivers on LI... hope you get it sorted soon :(

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I think you can make a claim if that particular pothole was reported already and has not been fixed.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sucks! I am on that road alot. As careful as you may be, one always seems to slip by Ugg! Let us know how the repair goes. I'm sure I will need one eventually with the roads here in NY. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope you have better luck with them (ProFormance) than I did when I bent my driver's side front rim.
When I went to see them, they said they could not repair it for 2 reasons, 1st was where the bend was (I have Dark 5 hole) and secondly, they said they were afraid that the paint would spider-web/crack when they tried.
yours looks pretty straightforward mine was in an odd spot,
if anyone can fix it though they can...good luck!
I like that they are ethical enough to not take money for jobs they don’t want to stand behind so that’s a plus in my book. I decided to just take it off and bring it in to avoid driving on it and try out my new jack I got a few weeks ago. It didn’t look too bad but when I brought it into Proformance they said the bend between the two small spokes is actually not a good spot. They are gonna try to see if it can be fixed without propagating micro fractures but it might not be safe to use if it does. We’ll have to see when the wheel gets worked on tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A side note the cQuartz ceramic coating makes washing the brake dust off with a simple rise pretty darn easy.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Back looks great and that bend is not too bad. Cracks in the paint? Don't let them worry too much, tell them to use a heat gun and give it a try. The best way would be with torches and a hydraulic press then repaint. But some can be done cold depending on the alloy. My OZ Superleggera III that got pinched when I was hit in my 348 was out of round but came back easily with 3 goes on the press. You can see the cleat marks and it is true and silent. It is an actual modular too so I could have had parts replaced if needed. Go for it. Wheels can be fixed and I think there is a trend to try and just replace them. I also got the wheel and tire coverage for my Quad. glad I did. I hit a small pothole yesterday so I should check my 5 holes too. I think they are OK, no vibration and I have been running my fronts at 35-37 psi.

Reactions: JerryNY

·
Registered
317 Posts
Was this the Cross Bronx? It was an absolute minefield 15 years ago. I think because of local politics if you need emergency roadside service there the locals (as in they're towing you local into the Bronx) are called. Not a good place to become stranded....Amazing double-standard for an interstate though....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No it was the Bronx River pretty close to the origin just past where it crosses with 95. I remembered it because it was just before where there was a Harbor Freight so I stopped by there to get off the highway and inspect the damage and pick up something free at HF to cheer me up :wink2:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also it really doesn’t matter where, they are all over. Last week during high winds going into NYC I forgot I was messing with Waze before the trip and it was giving me cop warnings over the car’s speakers while CarPlay was giving me directions and it said “warning, debris in road ahead”. My antenna went up and there was a huge orange construction sign laying across the road and I missed it but was sure glad I had the heads up. I had no idea Waze and CarPlay would actually work at the same time. They actually gave differing voice navigation but it helped that I use always use Australian female Siri so it was easy to tell which system was saying what lol

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I like that they are ethical enough to not take money for jobs they don’t want to stand behind so that’s a plus in my book. I decided to just take it off and bring it in to avoid driving on it and try out my new jack I got a few weeks ago. It didn’t look too bad but when I brought it into Proformance they said the bend between the two small spokes is actually not a good spot. They are gonna try to see if it can be fixed without propagating micro fractures but it might not be safe to use if it does. We’ll have to see when the wheel gets worked on tomorrow.
George is very good people. they used to CNC cut custom rims, that is basically what the guy told me as well. hope you have better luck

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
good luck and keep us posted. i think either way they have to paint it after they fix the bend.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Just passed through there last night. Glad I didn't hit the same one, it would have ended the 13hr trip on a very sour and angry note.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Ugh that is a nasty hit, wonder how non-forged wheel would look like....when I used to frequently traverse Cross Bronx many moons ago, traffic was so bad usually going 10mph anywhere between GW and Triboro that despite one giant pothole called highway, nothing much happened to my wheels.....I see some things never change in NYC

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.