Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Bad Smell upon Start/Stop feature

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  John_K_348 
#1 ·
Have had the car (2.0 base Q4) about a month now, I turn off the start/stop system every time I start up the car, but of course sometimes I forget. However, something I have noticed is, every time the car turns back on (like from a stoplight) the car seems to blow in (through the air vents) a slight whiff of what seems to be a fume or odor (not good) of some sorts.

This isn't really a problem to me, I don't really care too much as I always turn off the start/stop, but I am curious if anybody else has experienced this

Max

#2 ·
I did notice a similar situation, but there's a couple of differences:
- The smell would come out through the air vents sometimes after hard acceleration or deceleration(!). Not related to stop/start activation.
- It actually didn't smell bad, sort of like a "new car smell". Definitely not something coming from the exhaust.

So this may or may not be related to what you experienced. It happened quite often during my first 2 months of ownership, but now much less frequently, so I didn't mind it too much.

#3 ·
I haven't accelerated in my car yet very much, so I haven't had the chance to see if our experiences match, but yes, you explained it well. We all probably enjoy new car smell a little, but this smell is like new car smell on steroids, it is not pleasant, but that is definitely a good way to put it. I don't mind it too much either, and it is very infrequent

Thanks,
Max

#4 ·
I believe this was discussed in this Forum a few months ago. Someone indicated it was the smell of a coating applied to the motor or parts at the factory. I forget the details. My car did the same during the first 1.000 miles and then the odor disappeared. I have 12,000 flawless miles thus far.

#7 ·
Hi MacGeek,

What do you think about self-adhesive film in a hood environment? Would the adhesive be able to withstand the test of time? Say 5 years given the huge temperature swings the hood goes through? Sounds like a patch instead of a permanent fix.

Also, my AC vents hotter air from the driver side vent than the passenger side vent even when it synced. Happens when the temperature is set to 70 degrees or more. Do you know anything about this issue so I can inform my service tech?

#12 ·
It is described as an oily smell. Not a/c related. The TSB applies to Q4s only, btw. Cars built after July 1st already have the improved seal.

As for the engine block heater cable, personally I have never seen a car fitted with it (it's not an option here), but judging by how the wiring seems to be routed from the parts catalog image, you should find a bundle of cable with the electric plug in the general area behind the driver's side headlight.

#14 ·
Yes MacGeek is providing a wonderful inside view of things as issues arise. This is so helpful and reassuring to everyone interested in the new Giulia. Thanks! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.