Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
2020 Q4 Ti Sport
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all, I wanted to share an experience I had today for any NYC Giulia owners that are thinking to go through their insurance to replace broken glass on their car. DON'T go to the Safelite Auto Glass place in Astoria/Long Island City because they'll fuck up the trim reinstallation and potentially other things for your vehicles. I had my windshield replaced but at the cost of snapped trim clips and wrongly installed trim pieces. From this headache, my insurance is having me go to a new Safelite place for warranty coverge to assess damage done by the "repair". Additionally, my Yelp Review for those curious.

TL: DR: Don't go to auto shops in LIC near Northern Boulevard unless you know the techs, because you'll probably have a bad time.

related-unrelated, attached is a photo of the replacement windshield's info. I've heard varying (negative) things about Fuyao but I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now to see how it really holds up over time. Hopefully, my (current and future) anecdote can help owners be better informed. 馃槶

sneak edit: added a photo of OEM Glass from a Giulia at my dealership to help future viewers with comparison between OEE and OEM
Automotive exterior Font Automotive design Material property Tints and shades
Road surface Asphalt Grey Font Sidewalk

Registered
2020 Q4 Ti Sport
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have full glass coverage on your insurance, you should be able to bring it straight to Alfa.
I should have done that instead. I made the wrong choice going with what my insurance recommended thinking about cost, but I should have paid the extra difference with an Alfa-specialized place. A painful learning experience I know for next time.

Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Depending on your insurance, you should still have been able to use Alfa.
In CT, insurance cannot force you to use their recommendations .

So If you have 'full glass', that's what it means so even if Alfa is more, they don't limit the cost and you should be able to insist on OEM glass

Registered
Same law in NYS, insurance company cannot force you to use a particular repair shop.
they can recommend, as some shops are "ALLSTATE" approved shops etc.
Good to know about Safelight though, maybe you just got bad tech??? I've used them before on and off site and they have always been really good

Registered
2020 Q4 Ti Sport
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn. I'm feeling more annoyed now by how intentionally misleading the Insurance docs are online, how buried the info I needed was, the "convenience of the insurance-recommended places," and scripts the Customer Reps speak from to get people to go to for the corporations' money savings in the bare minimum interest of the customer. Feeling pressured and lost for time to attend work because of how mismanaged the shop was operating didn't help my situation either. I'm going to go to my dealership to get an estimate because fuck that previous shit. I'm going to document all the details with written everything, and will drag through mud if I really need to. I'm better informed now, and I really appreciate the guidance y'all, thank you.

Some additional resources I found after-the-fact:

Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
Sorry about your troubles.
Just had my Stelvio windshield replaced by safelite in Denver.
I asked for oem glass and it was covered under my no deductible policy at no additional out of pocket.
I dropped it off, checked to make sure it was oem glass and walked around nearby shops for an hour.
When I came back to see how it was going, I was told there was a problem. They had pulled my glass out, and the new glass was the wrong part (possibly Giulia?).
We called the dealership and that had one
glass left in stock.
Safelite had a tech pick up the glass when dealership opened in the morning.
So there was a hiccup along the way, but the install itself was done well.
The manager stayed in contact with me and supervised the installation.
They were very apologetic about the error.

Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Gulia q4 perf package ZARFAEEN2H7542802
i have gieco and just got mine replaced in CT, my local dealer (Todd Alfa Romeo) wouldn鈥檛 do it, but Westport Alfa Romeo (Miller Motorcars) said they could, I ended up using a local guy A and A windshields in shelton, I called Monday and Friday I left with a brand new OEM windshield from Pinkerton with the Alfa badge鈥 they even reprogrammed all the safety stuff and they did a great job, even got the spacing to factory specs!!! All this and I didn鈥檛 pay anything, insurance covered it all.

Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
Had front windshield replaced by the South Denver dealership with an OEM part. Fine work... and it should be, it was exactly the same price as would be charged for a Ferrari 458. $50 deductable, no hassle, from Progressive. So many issues with non-OEM glass during pandemic, our dealership said they couldn't guarantee calibration of the LDW camera unless an actual AR part.

Even Progressive had a confirmation that it took two tries, with non-OEM first, car rental for 3 weeks to await the actual OEM part for a previous customer. They gave zero pushback to the dealerships SM when he pre-cleared the claim. Only hassle was I had to pay on my CC, and then get a check from insurance co. Took 3 days to pay me.

Bravo.

Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
Thanks for the tip, I live in Astoria

Registered
2018 Ti sport Q4
Definitely go with OEM glass. Mine is not OEM and dealer won鈥檛 fix improperly installed rain sensor that doesn鈥檛 work. Not covered by warranty and according to them the only option is to replace with a new shield.

Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
State Farm paid for my windshield replacement by an Alfa dealer. However, the Alfa dealer did not actually do the work. They bought the glass and then hired some local glass repair place to do the install.

For the record, the glass was installed low and crooked (1/8" low on the left, 1/4" low on the right, pointed out to me by my detailer after he installed my CF hood). No trim issues that I have noticed, although my dash cam wiring will no longer stay in place using friction on the headliner <sigh>.

Registered
I took my wife's Mazada CX-5 to saflite and those clowns ordered the wrong windshield. They are buffoons! I will never go to safelite!

Registered
2020 Q4 Ti Sport
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update on the situation is that Safelite definitely fucked the install, since the Rain Sensor and FCW Errors were popping up on my dash a day after. I've got an appointment with my dealership, Gold Coast Alfa for them to look over everything over, likely get an OEM windshield, replace clips+trim pieces, and provide a loaner. Because Safelite bungled the installation, the work Gold Coast's Service department will be doing is covered under warranty and the Service Manager said that he's concerned and will aim to resolve the issues too.

I have enough documentation now to justify OEM glass instead of the Fuyao from Safelite, and according to a Service Manager, OEM Glass is affected by the parts shortages too. In my discussion Tuesday, the dude said that for the Stelvio, it's a 2 month lead time for replacement glass so I'm keeping my expectations tame. On the flipside, their techs know how to work on and treat our vehicles...

Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Gauge Steering part
Automotive design Car Personal luxury car Gauge Steering part

Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2, Vesuvio/Red, Perf Pkg, CF all over.
With regards to FUYAO non-OEM glass, I discovered I had this in my 2018 Giulia that I purchased second hand. Note to forum, Alfa dealership may not warranty work done on the driver assist stuff (camera, rain sensor, etc.) located in the rear view mirror console area if the windshield was replaced (cracked). With regards to FUYAO as a company trying to fit into the US, here is a statement from an article you can lookup online. This talks about an ex-GMC plant in Dayton Ohio that FUYAO purchased a few years ago. I have heard they pay millions of dollars a year in fines to OSHA each year because of factory safety violations. Below is typical work life in China. And this is who Biden and Obama want us to emulate.

FUYAO article

"In the United States, we fought to have an eight-hour day and have weekends off," she says. "That's pretty much unheard of in industrial work in China. ... If the boss says you have to work six days a week or seven days a week you just do it."
Bognar describes the relationship between the company and its American employees as a "complicated" one.

Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2, Vesuvio/Red, Perf Pkg, CF all over.
Update on the situation is that Safelite definitely fucked the install, since the Rain Sensor and FCW Errors were popping up on my dash a day after. I've got an appointment with my dealership, Gold Coast Alfa for them to look over everything over, replace clips+trim pieces, and provide a loaner.

I have enough documentation now to justify OEM glass instead of the Fuyao from Safelite, and according to a Service Manager, OEM Glass is affected by the parts shortages too. In my discussion Tuesday, the dude said that for the Stelvio, it's a 2 month lead time for replacement glass so I'm keeping my expectations tame. On the flipside, their techs know how to work on and treat our vehicles...

View attachment 127484 View attachment 127483
I ran into the same error messages. Problem was that the inside windshield glass behind the rear view mirror had developed a fog. They were able to clean the area and reapply the rain sensor. Work was NOT covered under warranty because the windshield was replaced with FUYAO glass and work was not done by Alfa dealership. Fix was only $75 so no big deal for me.

Registered
2020 Q4 Ti Sport
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ran into the same error messages. Problem was that the inside windshield glass behind the rear view mirror had developed a fog. They were able to clean the area and reapply the rain sensor. Work was NOT covered under warranty because the windshield was replaced with FUYAO glass and work was not done by Alfa dealership. Fix was only $75 so no big deal for me.
Whew, that's an interesting situation. I got my Giulia CPO'ed from this dealership last year in January. I also asked the Service Advisor if replacing the windshield was possible because of all the issues and he said that it wasn't off the table depending on what they find. Part of me hopes that they do, even if the lead time for OEM Glass is long because I want that peace of mind from their expertise. If anything, we'll see come June and y'all will be privy to any updates (so everyone is better informed)!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts