Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Racer Z mentioned in a post that there was a bad batch of batteries with an Alfa logo in script on them.

Does anyone know if my battery photo attached was what he was referring to?

Hoping I don't have a bad one but I did get a MY18 built 7/17 that I took ownership of new in 5/18 so I imagine it was sitting around a while

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
With the high triple digit heat here my start/stop was not engaging (i know that should be a blessing) but I wanted to make sure it was not a battery problem based on what I have seen on the forum. My battery was tested and they said it was fine. High heat and auto/stop start are not pals. Also, days go by wear i don’t drive the QV at all.

In any case I have the same battery you have my 2017 sat on the lot from August through April with only 40 miles clocked. Battery tested and fine. VARTA is not a bad battery

·
Registered
231 Posts
I also have that battery in my 2018 Q4 Ti (Varta with the Alfa logo).. identical to your photo. My car build is Dec 17. Battery seems fine and I'm at 7000 feet with summer temps in the 80's - 90's most days ..

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*phew thanks!

Mine sat at least 10 months and only had 18 miles on it

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
No idea. My battery looks like that but has not (yet) given me any problems. I do not recollect any date marking on the battery, do you see one?

I have to wonder if it would be a good idea to pop the caps and check the acid level.

My 2.0T Q4 will not auto-start-stop at 7500' elevation even with A/C off and a comfortable outside temperature. It activates easily enough at lower elevations.

I am increasingly tempted to go with the disconnect the hood latch switch to kill the auto start-stop. The hood latch must be interconnected with auto start-stop so that there are no under hood "surprises".

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't able to see a date

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am increasingly tempted to go with the disconnect the hood latch switch to kill the auto start-stop. The hood latch must be interconnected with auto start-stop so that there are no under hood "surprises".
Definitely worth researching but I wouldn't assume that.

As the vehicle should be in park every time the hood is open and park disables start/stop, it may not have an additional safety.

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
I had a bad battery similar to the one pictured. The first sign of trouble was the start/stop 'feature' did not work for a few weeks. The next sign was a dead battery. I don't recall seeing a low battery warning.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
Definitely worth researching but I wouldn't assume that.

As the vehicle should be in park every time the hood is open and park disables start/stop, it may not have an additional safety.
Someone else has already done it and says it works.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
if you want to be proactive and give yourself some peace of mind
Do a forum search and there is a sticky with ALL RRTs/TSBs etc that apply to the Q.V.
Look at the dates and then ask the dealer to confirm these have been done
You seem to have the latest software though I don’t recall the number in mine
PM me if you want and I will meet with you and go over things
Last thing you need to be is nervous and second guess your purchase
My Q.V. crushes the F80 I used to have street and track

·
Registered
386 Posts
Aussie mate Juz lists the correct battery toward the end of this. I had a horrific time recently thanks to a bad battery. There are no warnings either- best indicator is Start/Stop being operational, but as Minime just said, high heat and that don’t play well together.

Well, after a blissful 2 months post Transmission ECM debacle....
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...com/forum/showthread.php?t=38520&share_type=t

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Aussie mate Juz lists the correct battery toward the end of this. I had a horrific time recently thanks to a bad battery. There are no warnings either- best indicator is Start/Stop being operational, but as Minime just said, high heat and that don’t play well together.
The manual describes S/S function as being defined by climate settings and temperature, so are you sure they “don’t play well together” rather than play together as designed?

Specifically, if climate control is in Auto and set temp is not achieved, engine will not auto stop. Similarly, engine will not auto-stop if climate set to LO max cooling.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Then I stand corrected. The shop mentioned it was a good indicator of battery health though.
The last thing you want in one of these cars is a battery on the blink, after what happened to me recently.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Then I stand corrected. The shop mentioned it was a good indicator of battery health though.
The last thing you want in one of these cars is a battery on the blink, after what happened to me recently.
I wasn’t correcting you, I was asking a question. There may be some wonky S/S behavior in high heat, I don’t know, but it’s just as likely people don’t really know how the system is working because they’re not paying attention to it and/or didn’t read the manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
posted this suggestion on another thread and will repeat here: While no one should need or have to do this, has anyone sourced a proper, high-end (Optima?) aftermarket battery a new owner could preemptively swap in and avoid this whole issue? On the other thread I think someone suggested there wasn't an option, but wasn't clear if they were guessing or had confirmed this.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I wasn’t correcting you, I was asking a question. There may be some wonky S/S behavior in high heat, I don’t know, but it’s just as likely people don’t really know how the system is working because they’re not paying attention to it and/or didn’t read the manual.

Cool got you.
Regardless of what S/S does related to climate, battery etc, the real problem is that the car does not sufficiently warn the driver of the bad battery situation- which can be a very dangerous situation indeed.
I was fortunate that my car bricked itself in a suburban area, and not while on a freeway!

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Cool got you.
Regardless of what S/S does related to climate, battery etc, the real problem is that the car does not sufficiently warn the driver of the bad battery situation- which can be a very dangerous situation indeed.
I was fortunate that my car bricked itself in a suburban area, and not while on a freeway!

Yes, there does seem to have been a lot of replaced battery incidents where there was never a dash indication, which is lousy.

I don’t know the “batch of bad batteries” situation the OP is attributing to RacerZ having announced, but if such a thing exists, I wonder if there is something about the failure mode, like a sudden voltage drop rather than a failure to charge, which is responsible for the lack of a warning light indication?

Is there a RRT or TSB calling for battery replacement due to a known problem with some batteries?

·
Registered
386 Posts
There was definitely a bad batch with earlier models, the shop I use here in Sydney said they had run out of the proper Alfa batteries (the one Juz listed) and were waiting for a shipment. On the upside, they have serviced lots of Giulias and he said they were mechanically superb- no problems at all, except for, you guessed it, software and battery related issues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
wasn't clear if they were guessing or had confirmed this
Optima does not list a battery for the Giulia on the Optima site. The standard Optima battery will not fit in the Giulia battery compartment.

I believe that stop/start is deactivated or shortened in duration to keep air conditioning in operation in hot conditions.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
There was definitely a bad batch with earlier models, the shop I use here in Sydney said they had run out of the proper Alfa batteries (the one Juz listed) and were waiting for a shipment. On the upside, they have serviced lots of Giulias and he said they were mechanically superb- no problems at all, except for, you guessed it, software and battery related issues.
How are these batteries identified? Was there a recall? What is the span of earlier models affected?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts