Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm flying out to pick up my Quadrifoglio tomorrow and the dealer just finished the PDI on it and said that the amp is bad! 5 hour drive home with no tunes.... That is pretty disheartening. They said that they will order an amp and have it sent to my nearest dealer. Not a good start, but oh well. Windows down, listening to the twins spin won't be that bad.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Awe rats! Now I'm starting to worry.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So i'm flying out to pick up my Quadrifoglio tomorrow and the dealer just finished the PDI on it and said that the amp is bad! 5 hour drive home with no tunes.... That is pretty disheartening. They said that they will order an amp and have it sent to my nearest dealer. Not a good start, but oh well. Windows down, listening to the twins spin won't be that bad.
Did they do a tinting on the rear glass and fried the amp?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did they do a tinting on the rear glass and fried the amp?
Yup. They tinted all of the windows!

·
Registered
526 Posts
From whats been reported here, Alfa already has a fix and has been reported as installed on at least one car. Seems to me this car missed the update and the dealer either failed to get the message or didn't have the parts to install.

I for one still can't figure out why anyone would tint the windows, in my opinion they are plenty dark from the factory.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yup. They tinted all of the windows!
One would think the dealers would have picked up on the fact that tinting windows without the proper precautions (thanks to multiple posts I've made and others) will damage the amp.

Once again, stuff towels around the amp and tell the installers to minimize the amount of water running along the bottom of rear window and let the remaining water evaporate before removing towels to avoid potential issues.

With summer around the corner I personally prefer 35% tints all around. I almost went with 60% crystalline 3m tint but that was an extra 400. The windshield alone would be around 500 for the crystalline film :|

·
Registered
249 Posts
One would think the dealers would have picked up on the fact that tinting windows without the proper precautions (thanks to multiple posts I've made and others) will damage the amp.

Once again, stuff towels around the amp and tell the installers to minimize the amount of water running along the bottom of rear window and let the remaining water evaporate before removing towels to avoid potential issues.

With summer around the corner I personally prefer 35% tints all around. I almost went with 60% crystalline 3m tint but that was an extra 400. The windshield alone would be around 500 for the crystalline film :|
I am so glad I read the forum - I am learning so much about the car before I pick it up. But that is only a good thing. Thanks

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Argh! I thought you meant WITHOUT tinting. That is just sad. I cant' believe a dealership would be selling these cars without at least Google searching some current trends. This is one of the first quirks to come up besides the headlight washers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love the tint. Factory tint is not enough in my opinion. Everyone can see right in with factory tint. The amp issue, oh well. It'll get fixed. Until then, I'll just listen to 6 boosted cylinders.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Anyone have a photo of where the amp is?
I pulled my cover off and it looks like it's at the back of the car near the tail light, vs. under the rear window.
Doesn't seem that it could get wet.

Could it be they relocated the amp due to this issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
No relocation needed. It's the overspray and runoff from the soapy water used during tinting. Amp is in trunk below rear window. Pack the rear shelf interior with rags or towels to absorb the runoff. Unplug the amp if possible, wrap the connections and cover the amp with plastic and tape it sealed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What I meant was mine may be relocated.
Otherwise I don't see an amp anywhere if that isn't it.
Does anyone have a photo of the amp?

Someone stated remove the left cover and cover the amp with towels - well mine looks like it's near the tail light vs. under the rear window. I don't see any amp under the cover in that location...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK so is it a recent build new or used already?

·
Registered
787 Posts
My first Giulia came in with a bad amp from rear window leak in transport, amp and radio bad, service replaced amp and wiring harness and was waiting for radio from Italy. Did not take that car, when the replacement came in I had the service dept water test the rear window (trunk linings removed). It passed no leak and it had a new cover over the amp. Looks like the factory knows about this issue and have a fix for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts