Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
With the 8.8" screen, there is no reason for the tiny display on the back-up camera - and no excuse for the poor quality. The camera and display are comparable to my 2012 Kia. That car graphic takes up more than half of the screen.
(I never noticed the little Q "eyes" on the car graphic.)

·
Registered
547 Posts
With the 8.8" screen, there is no reason for the tiny display on the back-up camera - and no excuse for the poor quality. The camera and display are comparable to my 2012 Kia. That car graphic takes up more than half of the screen.
(I never noticed the little Q "eyes" on the car graphic.)
Couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I wonder if there's any way to upgrade the camera for better vision? Not sure the cost, but can't be too bad can it?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
All is forgiven (if not forgotten) when the transmission is shifted into drive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The backup camera view in my 2016 Honda Fit is better than my QV. I find that truly sad. I will admit though, Race mode offsets the experience.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Remember your last Alfa, you know, the one you had to look over your shoulder when backing up. Enjoy your time driving your Giulia forward! And I never noticed it was a Quad on the display..LOL

·
Registered
646 Posts
On this forum somewhere (tried to find but couldn't), someone mentioned there was a way to have b/u camera be most of the screen. Is that not true? When I test drove the Giulia I was struck by how poor quality and size that picture was.

In reality, I rely on the beeping sensors on my cars more than the camera. As God intended.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,716 Posts
I would guess the reason may be that the camera signal is analog NTSC.
MacGeek,

Are you sure? NTSC is a USA standard. OTOH, analog should be easy to hack into should someone want to turn on the rear view camera when Giulia does not want to do so.

During my test drive the backup took up the entire screen. I don't know if that is a setting or if the split screen is forced if you have the side detection option. Do you know?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, I'm sure. The camera has a 6 pin connector, with 5 populated pins: Power and ground, NTSC positive and negative, and serial bus. Power and serial go to the Body Computer, while Video + and - go to the infotainment unit. The serial bus is for the camera to receive steering angle data from the BCM and overlay the dynamic grid on the video signal.

The backup camera doesn't take the entire screen. It is displayed to the right in a 4:3 aspect ratio window, and the left of the screen shows the parking sensor signals on a overhead image of the car. This applies on cars with the 6.5" 800x480px screen as well as the ones with the 8.8" 1280x480 screen. As a result, the parking sensor part of the display takes up a lot more screen real estate on the 8.8".

·
Registered
658 Posts
So we have to trade a larger picture at the same aspect ratio for a (probably legally mandated) line of text "check entire surroundings"

·
Banned
264 Posts
So we have to trade a larger picture at the same aspect ratio for a (probably legally mandated) line of text "check entire surroundings"
They could have put that to the left...the problem is they saved a few bux by using a low resolution camera...making the image any wider or taller would result in pixelation - its already pretty bad.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
They could have put that to the left...the problem is they saved a few bux by using a low resolution camera...making the image any wider or taller would result in pixelation - its already pretty bad.
Exactly. Mixing a low resolution camera with the higher resolution screen is a bad idea. Increasing the image would definitely result in pixelation. Think of it this way guys... Have you ever looked at a low resolution video on you tube on your computer in full screen? Now if you minimize the same video it becomes sharper and a little more detailed. That is essentially what's going on with the video feed in the back up camera. Its also has a very low frame rate capture. Try backuping and seeing the video of a car passing by... the video feed becomes almost still frame.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,716 Posts
Yes, I'm sure. The camera has a 6 pin connector, with 5 populated pins: Power and ground, NTSC positive and negative, and serial bus. Power and serial go to the Body Computer, while Video + and - go to the infotainment unit. The serial bus is for the camera to receive steering angle data from the BCM and overlay the dynamic grid on the video signal.

The backup camera doesn't take the entire screen. It is displayed to the right in a 4:3 aspect ratio window, and the left of the screen shows the parking sensor signals on a overhead image of the car. This applies on cars with the 6.5" 800x480px screen as well as the ones with the 8.8" 1280x480 screen. As a result, the parking sensor part of the display takes up a lot more screen real estate on the 8.8".
Thanks.

NTSC has 525 lines, so it seems that some image mutilation is already taking place. Perhaps the edges are just truncated off? The Euro standard is PAL which is also 4:3.

NTSC is also an analog standard, usually sent via coax in order to minimize noise on the signal and minimize attenuation. The color resolution of NTSC is terrible. It seems a lot odd to me that a very old analog standard would be used even though the camera has built in image processing. It would seem a lot easier to build the image processing into the display screen processor.

Anyway, it may be possible to make a 2 channel dash cam take advantage of this camera if that is analog NTSC on the wires, at least assuming that no serial commands are needed to activate the camera.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've made a couple screenshots, which I've annotated with the video window dimensions in pixels.

8.8" system (1280x480 display):

Quoting myself to post a screenshot of the camera screen in the latest MY18/19 firmware.

That was one of the goodies I got with change of head unit and update to version 81....honestly at first sight I was not entirely sure that picture is bigger, change is not dramatic

1 - 20 of 23 Posts