Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all are as bored today and wanted to see if I could remove the backs seats with tools I have at home

The cushion is easy
There’s 2 clips, one in the left and one on the right side. I recommend digging both hand in the gap and pull directly up from there the clip is. After there are 2 bolts, one for each seat belt

It has thread lock on the end of it.
After, pull the seatbelts through the cushion and there you go cushion is out

now the issue is the side trim and the seat itself
The side trim has 2 clips and something attached on the very top. To unlatch the first two clips, grab from the bottom and pull up towards the top of that trim you’re working on, but after that I wasn’t sure if the top part is bolted down or if its a clip so I didn’t continue. If anyone knows how to remove this part let me know I’m curious

The next part is the seat itself, unfortunately I don’t have tools that can fit into the small gap so I ended up just putting everything back together. The image I’m going to show only shows the middle part of the seats. Couldn’t get pics of the outer parts of it since I could get the side trims off

And sadly that’s all I got to. If you have some information or know something I don’t, feel free to let me know

Drive safe stay healthy

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I always wonder why sports cars or muscle cars or any car for that matter why you can’t just simply pop a lever and seat comes out in two pieces. Just seems really antiquated. Minivan seats pretty much fold every which way, slide , pop out etc.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I always wonder why sports cars or muscle cars or any car for that matter why you can’t just simply pop a lever and seat comes out in two pieces. Just seems really antiquated. Minivan seats pretty much fold every which way, slide , pop out etc.
I believe that there are strength/safety issues with making the rear seat pop out in a simple fashion.

I do not know how minivans get away with it, but suspect that minivans are not the best vehicle to be in if you crash.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Interesting post. As soon as there is a wet day I'll investigate why the right hand side of my back seat has a larger gap ( you can stick your hand under) than the left hand side. Dealer said it was " within specs"

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
What’s the weight reduction? Is it significant enough to do anything?
The bottom cushion is pretty light, but I failed to weigh it when I had it out. I expect between 5 and 10 pounds.
The seat back should be heavier, since it has moderately heavy impact absorbing pads to protect occupants from flying cargo and it has that center fold down armrest.
The center seat belt comes to 2.1 pounds. I expect that the other seat belts are heavier since they are longer and have explosive retractors. Of course those other seat belts are harder to remove.
The headrests are about 1 pound each.

I expect that the multi-piece door cards are fairly hefty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What’s the weight reduction? Is it significant enough to do anything?
I haven’t gotten to taking out the seat, I don’t have a the tool that can get in there.

the cushion is super light though I don’t think only taking out the back seats is going to make a difference but backseat + aftermarket seats in the front would be around 80lb or more reduced

roll cage + harness sounds like a fun track day though:love:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Every 100lbs is a 1/10th. Seats are maybe 12-16 lbs. lighter wheels. Tires. Battery. You get 100lbs off quickly without taking door panels off or speakers etc. So everything adds up. Depends on the end game. If your chasing times it may be worth it. If your chasing Tesla’s on city streets not worth it.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Every 100lbs is a 1/10th. Seats are maybe 12-16 lbs. lighter wheels. Tires. Battery. You get 100lbs off quickly without taking door panels off or speakers etc. So everything adds up. Depends on the end game. If your chasing times it may be worth it. If your chasing Tesla’s on city streets not worth it.
Time change/weight change depends on power. Less power => more dramatic effect. For Giulia 2.0T I expect to gain about 0.1 seconds/100 pounds from 0 to 60MPH times, more than that for 1/4 mile times.

100 pounds is not easy to shed from these cars without removing parts. The Tecnico wheels already are Forged and pretty light. A set that weighs 16 pounds less will set you back $20000. The Pzero tires are also pretty light weight. The battery weighs in at 49 pounds I think, so an 8 pound race battery will save just over 40 pounds. It is unclear if that race battery is adequate for street use.

GTAM is 100 kilograms lighter than QV, and is pretty true to the formula of $1000/kilogram of weight shed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven’t gotten to taking out the seat, I don’t have a the tool that can get in there.

the cushion is super light though I don’t think only taking out the back seats is going to make a difference but backseat + aftermarket seats in the front would be around 80lb or more reduced

roll cage + harness sounds like a fun track day though:love:

i have done it (y)

Alfa Giulia 2.0 Baby GTA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts