Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew up the stock Pirelli's front tires on my Q in just a few hundred miles because I went to the track when my car would not come out of natural mode. Also I didn't like them and I wanted to go fast. I'm going on a four-day tracking trip to two different tracks and I didn't think the Pirelli's would last. And why do they put a 60 hardness tire on anyway?!

Anyway went 20 mm wider both front and back it all worked out fine just barely clears in the front but no rubbing.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 180 hardness
Ft 265/35/19 rear 26.3" tall (+.5")
Rear 305/30/19 26.3" tall (+.5")

Drove around on the streets a little they seem to grip like crazy. We'll see after I track them figure out how to drive this big car fast without smoking up the front tires.

They look pretty badass especially from the back.

Also my race shop owner says we can shim the lower part of this front suspension to get some negative camber. That was good news but it has to wait until after I come back from the tracking trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wow - nice. Will be interesting to see if you get any rubbing when you hit some good bumps or dips.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Blew up the stock Pirelli's front tires on my Q in just a few hundred miles because I went to the track when my car would not come out of natural mode. Also I didn't like them and I wanted to go fast. I'm going on a four-day tracking trip to two different tracks and I didn't think the Pirelli's would last. And why do they put a 60 hardness tire on anyway?!

Anyway went 20 mm wider both front and back it all worked out fine just barely clears in the front but no rubbing.

Drove around on the streets a little they seem to grip like crazy. We'll see after I track them figure out how to drive this big car fast without smoking up the front tires.

Also my race shop owner says we can shim the lower part of this front suspension to get some negative camber. That was good news but it has to wait until after I come back from the tracking trip.
We bought our Quadrifoglio from Dave Smith also! When did you get yours?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kyle G at Dave Smith has been helping me with my special order Ti. REALLY good guys to work with so far. Hopefully it will arrive in the next 3 weeks.

Call me Al - I can't believe you have already gone through those tires!!! Its only been a week!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but where are you guys located? We should get together one weekend. Also, The Italian Car Club here in Spokane would LOVE to have some Giulia participation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
BandE, did you get the white one that they had? Or was there another one that snuck by? Love to see some photos (or re-direct if they have been posted on a different thread).

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

We bought our Quadrifoglio from Dave Smith also! When did you get yours?
Yup, Dave Smith from Kyle

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hijack the thread, but where are you guys located? We should get together one weekend. Also, The Italian Car Club here in Spokane would LOVE to have some Giulia participation.
I live in Spokane. I'm pretty busy but if you have a website or list of your events I'm sure I can come by with the Giulia Q or the 4C

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Al, they put 60 hardness on to get better traction so they can claim big G's in the turns. Nobody would use 60 on a daily driver because they will wear out in 10,000 miles or so. Tire with 500 hardness will last about 50,000 miles, but be slick as ice on the track.

I know how much you track your 4C and I think you have real track rubber on it. So, you know the difference between a street tire and a track tire.

It's a tough call, when you drive your car to the track, flog it all day, and drive it home. What tire to use???? I think the MPSC you chose is a good compromise.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts

Did you do the fully compress the suspension, crank the steering and check for clearance routine? I am particularly interested to learn how large the tires can go on a standard Giulia. Do you know if the shape of the front wheel wells is the same between a standard Giulia and Quadrifoglio?

By going 20mm overwidth on the stock rims, are you going to create issues with tension in the sidewalls?

·
Registered
94 Posts
BandE, did you get the white one that they had? Or was there another one that snuck by? Love to see some photos (or re-direct if they have been posted on a different thread).
I got the white one that they had. A friend of mine over here in the Tacoma area told me they had it. Tacoma is where i'm from FYI.

I'm looking at replacing my tires also. They just pick up and spit out way to many rocks. One got lodged in my brake caliper and got wedged into the rotor causing significant rotor damage. Replaced by warranty, but still a pain. Not sure which direction to go with tires. Looking at Performance all seasons. Recommendations?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Blew up the stock Pirelli's front tires on my Q in just a few hundred miles because I went to the track when my car would not come out of natural mode.
Any more info on the track day / vids? I want to see some shredding in a QV!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Did you do the fully compress the suspension, crank the steering and check for clearance routine? I am particularly interested to learn how large the tires can go on a standard Giulia. Do you know if the shape of the front wheel wells is the same between a standard Giulia and Quadrifoglio?

By going 20mm overwidth on the stock rims, are you going to create issues with tension in the sidewalls?
No downward compression yet that will come on the track. We did have the car jacked up in the air so if I become airborne I know that it will be OK too. But that Center little plastic tab on the fender liner might click it in a bit if I go full airborne.

Crank the wheel left right going forward in either direction is fine. Going backward there's a tiny little click occasionally. It's just that very bottom plastic fender well nub that comes out. I actually thought about just putting it out with a knife it's only about 1" x 2" square. If it rubs it all that's where it will and I'll just cut it out won't even have to jack up the car just turn the wheels and lay on just turn the wheels and lay on the ground. Or just let the tires wear it or just let the tires wear it down down. All of the critical areas are fine.

Sidewall? Ha ha I love a wider tire it protects the rims better if you bump them on a curb while parking. There's no extra tension. If you go too crazy wide of a tire it'll just make the tire round in the middle and it won't sit perfectly flat. Also maybe hard to put on the rim by the installer. But then you're talking extremely wider than what I did. +20mm is nothing to be concerned about. I've been putting wider tires on my rims since tires had white walls. I've cut fender wells and rolled fender lips and done all kinds of crazy ****. +20mm is nothing

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blew up the stock Pirelli's front tires on my Q in just a few hundred miles because I went to the track when my car would not come out of natural mode.
Any more info on the track day / vids? I want to see some shredding in a QV!
They'll be no more tire shredding, I like my new Michelins so they're going to last a while. Also I now have dynamic in race mode so it will allow the car to angle through turns and spread the tire wear better. Doubt I'll be using race mode much or doing any crazy drifting i've got to learn this car better and that will take some time. But I'll give you 7° I'm quite sure!

There will be lots of BMW, Mercedes, Z28s, Corvettes and even some Porsches is getting chewed up. But you have to wait for the good stuff.

Next Monday and Tuesday I am tracking in Oregon and then I'm up in Canada Thursday and Friday for more tracking. So I have should have lots of good videos.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Al, they put 60 hardness on to get better traction so they can claim big G's in the turns. Nobody would use 60 on a daily driver because they will wear out in 10,000 miles or so. Tire with 500 hardness will last about 50,000 miles, but be slick as ice on the track.

I know how much you track your 4C and I think you have real track rubber on it. So, you know the difference between a street tire and a track tire.

It's a tough call, when you drive your car to the track, flog it all day, and drive it home. What tire to use???? I think the MPSC you chose is a good compromise.
10,000 miles ha maybe somebody?! The salesman that went to the AR corporate event at NOLA told me the AR reps told them only to expect 5,000 miles out of the tires. I think they picked those tires because their Italian and they got them cheaper? But I think the Z28 cars come with a 60 hardness tire too. Not sure what kind they are.

If you want to see a crazy tire look at the Hoosier rain tire. It's like 20 hardness but I'm told you can drive hard in standing rain almost like racing slicks on dry pavement!! Ha ha! I imagine the tire mileage is in the hundreds!!!

Often a softer tire means better traction and less mileage but that's not always true and kind of the old way. Technology has come along way and there's all kinds of tires that are 180 or 200 hardness that outperform soft 100 or even 60 tires. The autocross industry has created this need more than anything with their class rules for tires not being less than 200 hardness. Lots of tech and cheating going on.

I thought the Pirelli tires were fair or poor tires and they turned out to be just that. I mean they're not bad but there are many tires out there much better. But in all fairness I did drive them hard in only natural mode which puts all the stress on the front tires with that forced understeer. And my rear tires are still pretty good shape so maybe they are OK tires after all but I'll never know. Maybe someone else has tracked with them when they had dynamic whole race modes and they would know?

Interesting point you make about how the G forces should be good with this tire because it's so soft. And like I said yes that's often true but read this article it talks about how surprised they were that this soft tire did not do as well as cars with worse suspensions and with harder tires.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.moto...rcedes-amg-c63-cadillac-ats-v-comparison/amp/

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Al you are a madman, I'm glad you are figuring things out for the Giulia just like you have done with the 4C.

Please give us all a full report, those look promising!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok here's some more close-up photos detailing exactly where the front tire might rub a tiny bit. Again I have driven the car in a parking lot with wheel cranked left and wheel cranked right forward direction with no noise at all. This is at a slow speed not autocrossing but I don't think it's suspension is going to move it all under hard driving.

In the parking lot when I put it in reverse and backed up I believe one way clicks just a tiny bit sometimes. I know exactly what's clicking on where so I'm not worried about it. I'll show you the one area it might rub.

Here's a bunch of photos the one when I have the wheel out and I marked it up that's the plastic part that might click a bit in reverse. Again going forward never hear it. So you could do what I did, nothing or you could take a sharp knife and cut off that little section. Also if it rubs a little the tire would wear it out. And remember the tire is going to be getting smaller with treadwear.

And again I checked all the critical areas I don't think it's going to rub it all but when I track the car hard I'll know for sure next week.

I do measurements before I buy oversized tires and this one worked out pretty tight in the front I think the rear could go wider I didn't even look. 305 width is a pretty fat tire and it looks bad ass!!

When I had the tires off I did try putting the rear tire and rim on the front. The rears are 10 inch wide the front are 8 1/2 inch wide rims. No it would not fit it was hitting on the strut. I do estimate you could put 9 inch wide rims on the front possibly wider if you changed the ET.

If I end up being able to track this car well I might put on some track slick tires and go for a square set up like I did on the 4C to maximize tire wear between front and rear tires and also allow you to only have to carry one spare wheel/tire.

If that day comes I know vendors like Matt at Alfa9 who will do a lot of the work for me as I would buy the wheels from him. Heck he might already know everything!

I have no idea if there's any difference between the base Giulia and the Q version I have. But I would suspect not. The 4 wheel drive version could be different.

Enjoy the photos

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

FYI I tracked my car really hard for 2 days and have no rubbing issues. Definitely got a lot of compression!

No noise at all other than the original noise when I put the car in reverse and turn the wheel all the way and back up I can hear a tiny clicking but that's just the center of the plastic inner fender well at the very bottom so you could cut off that little 1" x2" tab and there be no noise at all.

Next time I put on new tires I might look at where it's rubbing and cut that little tab off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts