Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone noticed a significant difference between the RWD AND AWD Giulia Ti? I have a Q4 and the loaner 2WD I have from the dealer while my car is being serviced feels different on the road . Lighter, more response, perhaps even a little quicker. And most importantly the turning circle feels significantly better than my Q4. I called Alfa customer care and they said that other than ride height there is no difference is specification. Doesn’t feel that way on the road. Am I imagining it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
i think you might be imagining. im in the same boat as you and while i think you are correct about the turning circle the driving dynamics are darn near similar. the q4 is discernably quickly off the line and holds better grip to the pavement while cornering. you can throw the rwd into a corner faster but the q4 comes out of the corner way faster than the rwd can. i think the rwd with q2 package might be able to keep up better as you can control the rear better but the q4 just puts all the power down and lets the rear play just enough to power slide out of the corner at impressive speeds. Many people tend to push rentals/loaners a bit harder than thier own cars and i think that is always a factor in these types of comparisons. After spending time in both cars i do not regret going with the q4 as it is much more confidence inspiring and makes smart use of the power at hand.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I test drove the AWD and really didn't like how quickly the factory tires started to slide or the sensation of the transfer of power to the front wheels. I special ordered the RWD with LSD and reached an arrangement with the dealer to put Michelin SP 4s on before delivery.
My decision was also colored by giving myself a fright years ago when I broke all 4 wheels loose in a performance AWD.
I haven't had the chance to spend additional time in the Q4 but I'm really glad that AR offers the 2WD option.
Just put my set of winter wheel and tires on now that the temps have dropped.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
I wonder whether the steering on RWD Giulias is less clunky.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Gimme some snow. I'm eager to try.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"power slide out of the corners"

interesting, the snow thread says that can't be done no way no how
He may be confusing power slide with understeer...... its a know fact that AWD cars understeer way more than a RWD......

For fun factor at the track my bet is that the RWD will put a bigger smile on your face...... as far a faster, I am not completely convinced that the AWD will be faster at Watkins Glen, for example, due to being heavier and possibly less nimble...... but I have only driven the Q4 on track so I am speculating.......:grin2:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
when you try, don't be too eager in the wrong place

"giving myself a fright" is a valid reaction, and other than "a little quicker", the OP's observations sound about right, but with all the electronics the degree could be miniscule.

edit - "confusing power slide with understeer", that's some serious confusion

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
when you try, don't be too eager in the wrong place.
Big parking lot with few/no obstacles to start, for sure.

My first serious snow driving experience is likely to be the hill at the end of our street. It's a steep drop to a four-way intersection often ignored by cars on the other road (which benefits from the same hill).

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Anyone noticed a significant difference between the RWD AND AWD Giulia Ti? I have a Q4 and the loaner 2WD I have from the dealer while my car is being serviced feels different on the road . Lighter, more response, perhaps even a little quicker. And most importantly the turning circle feels significantly better than my Q4. I called Alfa customer care and they said that other than ride height there is no difference is specification. Doesn’t feel that way on the road. Am I imagining it?
They come with different tires. Many people have complained about the all season tires that come on the Q4. Also, check the inflation pressure of the tires.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Big parking lot with few/no obstacles to start, for sure.

My first serious snow driving experience is likely to be the hill at the end of our street. It's a steep drop to a four-way intersection often ignored by cars on the other road (which benefits from the same hill).
Power slides on snow with AWD are not that difficult..... Have fun!

https://vimeo.com/84494762

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Power slides on snow with AWD are not that difficult..... Have fun!
Thanks, I'm well-versed. I have yet to see, however, how the "no off switch" Giulia performs.

·
Registered
332 Posts
"power slide out of the corners"

interesting, the snow thread says that can't be done no way no how
Those conversations seem to be centered around the lsd +awd which i certainly do not have. Even then the dynamics of wheel spin in snow/ice and dry concrete are going to be very different with entirely different tc intervention behavior. I have yet to experience how this system takes in winter weather but looking forward to it!

The understeer is perceptible but I?m sure I?m not confusing it. if you?re timing the throttle right out of corners you can get the tail out just enough to slide. I was able to do this with the stelvio and it was a darn fun.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I suspect I still have traces of the big grin on my face from when I "discovered" doing donuts in reverse in a front-wheel-drive car (which, for the record, was a Mazda GLC).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
backwards, stunod
probably the only way to get a bigger laugh is if the park brake worked on the rear wheels.
stupid saab had it on the front, what were they thinking.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
backwards, stunod
probably the only way to get a bigger laugh is if the park brake worked on the rear wheels.
stupid saab had it on the front, what were they thinking.
That's because SAAB considered it an emergency brake rather than a parking brake. Save my bacon one day when a wayward chunk of concrete took out both front hydraulic lines. Downshifting and mechanical actuation of the front brakes got me stopped in the nick of time. Talk about limping home, though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Q4 has posted better 0-60 and qtr mile times, in the north east it is definitely preferable when driving in the white stuff. In warm weather states I would probably just go for the rear wheel drive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts