Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for some one to design a ecu remap or tuning to make it AWD and WD switachable.

Like it should have a switch or a remapping to the ECU every time we want to switch it back and forth from AWD to RWD and RWD to AWD.

Hope you got what I mean.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
Definitely get what you mean but I'm not too sure if they'll be able to do that. I think you may actually have to physically remove axles and install lockouts of some sort and then tune for it.
I do not think so, the transfer consists of a chain, bearing and electrically controlled clutch (no center differential). I have not been able to determine if the clutch has electronics built in, or if the electronics are separated. If the later, you should be able to force RWD by disconnecting the wires to the clutch, although that might make stability control systems enter an error mode and disable important functionality. It is even less clear if this method could be used to force AWD since there are a lot of ways such an arrangement could go wrong.

Of course, you will end up spinning shafts and gears in the front differential; that should not alter handling much compared to a RWD only vehicle (the balance and rotating mass will still be disturbed) but forcing RWD mode won't gain any fuel efficiency.

IMO, ideally one wants to adjust the criteria inside the ECU or whatever vehicle system controls the transfer so that it effectively has "factory setting", "so sensitive to slippage AWD is always engaged", and "so in-sensitive to slippage AWD is never engaged", all settable via a menu item on the control screen designed so that it can be changed while driving without too much distraction. With this scheme the other vehicle control systems should "know" correctly if AWD is engaged and react appropriately (assuming a good design).

·
Registered
576 Posts
The new M5 and E63s are that way from the factory. However, they were engineered to be that way from the start. The hardware is different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts