·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,799 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Great little story. Right on the money! And (spoiler alert) a hilarious ending line.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Absolutely! Agree with about every word. I've certainly had that same experience in stop/start freeway traffic.

As an aside, I thought all Ti Q2 19" Sport Package cars had the staggered setup. Clearly that's not the case. Anyone know the ratios i.e. are most staggered?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
TI:
Pirelli All season RF perfomance tires P225/40R/19 square setup - 8 inch wide rims on four corners.
Pirelli Three-season performance tires P225/40zR/19 (front) and P255/35ZR/19 (rear) for the staggered setup. - 8 inch wide rims on the front and 9 inch wide rims on the rear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So, I have the staggered setup, but wearing Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Absolutely! Agree with about every word. I've certainly had that same experience in stop/start freeway traffic.

I'm still waiting on my delivery (Q4), and wasn't thrilled to read about the roughness in stop and go traffic. Also, how about these comments?:

"There doesn't appear to be any way to turn off the irritating "easy entry" feature that slides the driver's seat backward when the car is switched off, crushing your rear-seat passengers. The steering-wheel-mounted "start" button takes getting used to. The elegantly integrated infotainment screen washes out in bright sunlight."
Have you also found these three things to be problems, too?

·
Registered
440 Posts
paul49 said:
I'm still waiting on my delivery (Q4), and wasn't thrilled to read about the roughness in stop and go traffic. Also, how about these comments?:

"There doesn't appear to be any way to turn off the irritating "easy entry" feature that slides the driver's seat backward when the car is switched off, crushing your rear-seat passengers. The steering-wheel-mounted "start" button takes getting used to. The elegantly integrated infotainment screen washes out in bright sunlight."

Did you not do a test drive?

I think you'll find that it really depends on which driving mode you're in. The driving modes are very distinct from each other, might have been hard to notice this if you did do a test drive.

The characteristics of each mode is called out in the manual.

In dynamic mode you should expect some jerkiness / roughness. The car is very sensitive to what you're doing and wants to be driven harder. In normal or natural mode you'll find its very refined. I spend most of my time in this mode. In advanced efficiency mode you'll find that its almost slow to react and tuned for efficiency as you can expect.

Regarding easy entry I think some folks can take it or leave. I actually quite like it now but no there isn't a way to turn this off.

I also haven't noticed any issues with the infotainment system washing out. I don

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts

I am also waiting for my Q4 to arrive. My test drive was 50% stop light to stop light and I did not observe said jerkiness.
I found the easy entry feature to be a plus. However, it could be a problem if there is a passenger behind the driver. I was told that it is disabled on the 2018s. What would be better is to make it smarter and/or more controllable. For example, having a button on the seat (also the passenger seat) that has to be pushed each time to activate it.

The start button on the steering wheel takes about 2 seconds to "get used to", I don't know what the writer is talking about. OTOH, I don't like pushbutton start at all and would prefer an old fashioned key operated switch; which doesn't rely on batteries in the fob or a wireless connection to keep the car running. The shift lever on the other hand is counterintuitive (particularly for selecting Park versus Reverse) as is the push down to unlock, push up to lock door lock control; but the reviewer missed those points.

I don't recollect if the infotainment screen washed out during my drive. It was easy enough to read while backing up. Washout could be an issue if you are doing "drive by NAV". I was more concerned with the dashboard screen, which did not wash out because it is located under a proper sun screen.

The fonts in the dashboard screen are too small. Somebody tried too hard to put cutesy pictures on the screen instead of using the precious space for something functional. However, the reviewer failed to mention this issue. A modern design should allow the driver to setup a small number of display screens according to preference (this would be done with the vehicle stopped), but this one does not.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did you not do a test drive?

I think you'll find that it really depends on which driving mode you're in. The driving modes are very distinct from each other, might have been hard to notice this if you did do a test drive.

The characteristics of each mode is called out in the manual.

In dynamic mode you should expect some jerkiness / roughness. The car is very sensitive to what you're doing and wants to be driven harder. In normal or natural mode you'll find its very refined. I spend most of my time in this mode. In advanced efficiency mode you'll find that its almost slow to react and tuned for efficiency as you can expect.

Regarding easy entry I think some folks can take it or leave. I actually quite like it now but no there isn't a way to turn this off.

I also haven't noticed any issues with the infotainment system washing out. I don
Yes, I test drove it twice and my wife once, but we never ventured into stop and go traffic. I kept the car in dynamic mode for both drives and the only time I experienced jerkiness was when I tried out the paddle shifters. This was largely due, I think, to my inexperience - I kept running up against the redline. I have no experience driving automatics or cars with modes (except for some car rentals). My wife and I are in our 60s and this will be our first automatic. I'll certainly check out the other modes once we get the car.

I never noticed the easy entry feature, nor was it pointed out to me, in my test drives. My concern here is in dealing with car seats (my daughter is expecting twins) and the easy entry sounds like it could be really annoying if it backs up into the car seat.

At any rate, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of our Giulia (and the twins!) - thanks for the feedback, chaiguy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am also waiting for my Q4 to arrive. My test drive was 50% stop light to stop light and I did not observe said jerkiness.
I found the easy entry feature to be a plus. However, it could be a problem if there is a passenger behind the driver. I was told that it is disabled on the 2018s. What would be better is to make it smarter and/or more controllable. For example, having a button on the seat (also the passenger seat) that has to be pushed each time to activate it.

The start button on the steering wheel takes about 2 seconds to "get used to", I don't know what the writer is talking about. OTOH, I don't like pushbutton start at all and would prefer an old fashioned key operated switch; which doesn't rely on batteries in the fob or a wireless connection to keep the car running. The shift lever on the other hand is counterintuitive (particularly for selecting Park versus Reverse) as is the push down to unlock, push up to lock door lock control; but the reviewer missed those points.

I don't recollect if the infotainment screen washed out during my drive. It was easy enough to read while backing up. Washout could be an issue if you are doing "drive by NAV". I was more concerned with the dashboard screen, which did not wash out because it is located under a proper sun screen.

The fonts in the dashboard screen are too small. Somebody tried too hard to put cutesy pictures on the screen instead of using the precious space for something functional. However, the reviewer failed to mention this issue. A modern design should allow the driver to setup a small number of display screens according to preference (this would be done with the vehicle stopped), but this one does not.
Glad to hear 2018s may have the ability to disable the easy entry.

Yeah, I thought the reviewer's comment about the start button was odd. Then again, this is an area where i do have experience - the start button on my car (Honda S2000) is to the left of the steering wheel, so I'm used to the idea.

Thanks for the input, lockem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts