Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a problem with the Automatic Brights? When I have that feature set to on, the brights never come on. I believe a forward press of the stalk should make them come on and they should automatically dip when they sense an oncoming car, but mine never come on at all. When I turn the feature off the brights work properly (manually).

Any one else seen this?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Mine function, but I've never positioned the lever forward; I keep headlamps on Auto and the high beams turn on and off automatically as appropriate.

Do you have your headlights switched to the Auto position?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Even if you have them set to auto you have to activate the brights once after restart.

In auto dimming mode when you first start the car and the headlights come on you will see a Green headlight with lines in front of the headlight pointing at a downward angle in the upper left of the dash display.

If you activate the brights, the brights should flash. If there is to much light they will automaticlly go back to low beem. The headlight indicator will be white with straight lines. If the stay on bright the indicator will be blue.

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
Has anyone else had a problem with the Automatic Brights? When I have that feature set to on, the brights never come on. I believe a forward press of the stalk should make them come on and they should automatically dip when they sense an oncoming car, but mine never come on at all. When I turn the feature off the brights work properly (manually).

Any one else seen this?
Yes, I have the same issue.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You have to make sure they are activated, which I think I do with a press forward, which turns the green icon to blue or white if there is someone coming. The auto brightness does not activate until after you hit 35 miles per hour I think. Don't know why. If you are on a dark road and you have them on, give it some gas and see if they come on.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
Mine work fine. I turn on the brights and they turn off when there is light. Oncoming vehicles or ample light in a city or town will make the lights dim. I have the 35 watt headlights.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Any one else seen this?
Try turning the sensor's sensitivity down. Mine never seemed to work either until I turned down their sensitivity to light. With the default setting every reflective road sign for a half a mile was fooling them into staying dipped. The adjustment is somewhere in the infotainment system - I don't remember exactly where.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Hmm, okay...I guess I’m mistaken about the operation of the lights. My car has been in the shop for a month now, so I’m probably forgetting and mixing up how they worked with my old car. Sorry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the standard lights and it took me a bit to figure it out. Once the lights auto on, push the left stalk towards the dashboard once and the green headlight icon will turn white. Once that's complete the headlights are on auto bright. If you live in a suburban area like I do, they likely won't work often because of the ambient light. However, if you're in a rural area without the ambient light, they work very nicely.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input folks. For those who thought I didn't understand how they were supposed to work....thank you (not being snarky, I mean it), but I do understand how they are intended to operate. For those who commented that theirs also doesn't work I appreciate knowing that I'm not alone. Like @ajf600 this is not really particularly important to me, but I do like all the features that are supposed to be in the car to work.

I think @90Below and @JRinNJ have likely hit on the problem. I live in a suburban area and the sensitivity is probably set at a level that makes the car never turn the brights on at all. I'll play with that tonight and see if that solves the problem and report back.

Thanks all....this is a great forum.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hmm, okay...I guess I’m mistaken about the operation of the lights. My car has been in the shop for a month now, so I’m probably forgetting and mixing up how they worked with my old car. Sorry.
what are you driving while the car is in the shop? hopefully a loaner?? was due to a dealer screw-up on the paint-job?

anyway, hope you get it back soon. You have amazing patience!!

and, i have this light issue intermittently. It won't work. I have to push forward a few times, then it turns "blue" and says "auto." Then yellow and "auto" when it turns the hi beams off.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Try turning the sensor's sensitivity down. Mine never seemed to work either until I turned down their sensitivity to light. With the default setting every reflective road sign for a half a mile was fooling them into staying dipped. The adjustment is somewhere in the infotainment system - I don't remember exactly where.
For the light sensitivity which one is more sensitive the lower or the higher number? Is that also adjust when the regular headlights come on? It drives me crazy that sometimes when I go under an overpass the lights turned on immediately. Usually by that time I came out on the other side. I wish there would be a delay.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For the light sensitivity which one is more sensitive the lower or the higher number? Is that also adjust when the regular headlights come on? It drives me crazy that sometimes when I go under an overpass the lights turned on immediately. Usually by that time I came out on the other side. I wish there would be a delay.
I have mine set at 3, which seems to be the least sensitive to oncoming headlights. I don't think it effects when the lights come on since my lights come on under overpasses as well. A five second delay would be great. Maybe in a future software update? Are you listening FCA?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
I have mine set at 3, which seems to be the least sensitive to oncoming headlights. I don't think it effects when the lights come on since my lights come on under overpasses as well. A five second delay would be great. Maybe in a future software update? Are you listening FCA?
There is an adjustable delay for how long the headlights take to turn off. It is unclear to me if this only alters the time to turn the headlights off after turning the car off, or if it also alters the headlight off time after auto-on (anybody know?). If you frequently drive under a series of overpasses, it might be wise to make this setting long enough that the headlights stay on during said drive. I think you can also turn off DRLs, although I see no reason to ever do so (anybody know of any reason to do so?).

I think there is a safety issue being addressed by the auto-on feature. Consider what happens when you drive into a tunnel; sudden no (or poor) visibility if your headlights do not come on.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
^^ I think that is exactly why they come on so fast, because some underpasses are long they dip in available light is big enough to trigger the lights, car has no way of knowing it is just a long underpass and not the tunnel....at the same time on cloudy days when contrast between before and under the bridge is not so high my lihhts do not come up....I have learned to live with it but in general think that auto lights are unnecessary feature that I would prefer to switch off manually if I could....

I have tried Auto high beam and it predictably does not actuate most of the time in dense metro area...it was however working brilliantly on remote wood roads of Southern Maryland so I know it functions well

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have learned to live with it but in general think that auto lights are unnecessary feature that I would prefer to switch off manually if I could....
Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying, but you don't have to use the auto-on lights. That's a setting on the light switch/dial on the dash.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Automatic High/Low beam system seems to be particularly sensitive. Even with № oncoming traffic, the system will sometimes remain in the low beam setting when there is sufficient ambient light, eg street lights, etc, as pointed out by @JRinNJ. Also, the automatic high/low doesn’t work unless the vehicle is traveling in excess of 35 mph. @90Below also points out that there is a setting in the Infotainment system to adjust the sensitivity to external lighting. Also, the high beams will dim when you corner sharply enough to cause the cornering lamps to illuminate.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Simey, auto -on on my car can not be switched off....while the switch goes to 0 it is also spring loaded and returns to Auto, this has been discussed before in separate thread...maybe 18s have been changed...also some european versions had switcheds that would stay on 0

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
what are you driving while the car is in the shop? hopefully a loaner?? was due to a dealer screw-up on the paint-job?

anyway, hope you get it back soon. You have amazing patience!!

and, i have this light issue intermittently. It won't work. I have to push forward a few times, then it turns "blue" and says "auto." Then yellow and "auto" when it turns the hi beams off.
Yeah, the body shop gave me a ‘18 Challenger GT, the new AWD of Dodge’s big coupe. It’s got 304hp, but it needs the V8. That, and I don’t really understand the AWD function...

No matter... I just got to pick up the Giulia this evening! Finally! Sooooo much better!

Reactions: RyanC883
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.