Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get serious about running SCCA autocross Solo II next year... They won't let me run the OEM tires since they come shaved lower than legal for the AS class and they are under the 200 tread wear minimum.... So suggestions on what "street" tires to run... I know some of them say they are 200 but are kind of cheater tires since they are much softer.... Also has anyone messed with set up at all within stock adjustments? Ill be up against the Corvette Zo6s from 2004 and the new SS Cameros so I may need all the help I can get

·
Registered
12 Posts
I plan to get serious about running SCCA autocross Solo II next year... They won't let me run the OEM tires since they come shaved lower than legal for the AS class and they are under the 200 tread wear minimum.... So suggestions on what "street" tires to run... I know some of them say they are 200 but are kind of cheater tires since they are much softer.... Also has anyone messed with set up at all within stock adjustments? Ill be up against the Corvette Zo6s from 2004 and the new SS Cameros so I may need all the help I can get
Tell them to read the rule book:

C. Other
1. Any tire which is OE on a car eligible for Street Category may be used on that car in Regional Solo® events.

Since the QV is listed in the rules as eligible for AS, then your car on OE tires are legal at REGIONAL (aka. local) events. National events is the only time you have to run the "by the rules" 200tw tires.

Go have fun. :)

--kC

·
Registered
527 Posts
Tell them to read the rule book:

C. Other
1. Any tire which is OE on a car eligible for Street Category may be used on that car in Regional Solo® events.

Since the QV is listed in the rules as eligible for AS, then your car on OE tires are legal at REGIONAL (aka. local) events. National events is the only time you have to run the "by the rules" 200tw tires.

Go have fun. :)

--kC
They could have a supplemental rulebook for their region.

Op, Check with the regional executive or Solo Chair for your region. They can point you in the right direction.

Also, RE71Rs are generally the go to tire. Not sure if they are available in the QV OE sizes.
Rivals are another sticky street tire.... same situation with sizes though.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I have OEM size MPSS on my QV, they are 280 thread wear, not as sticky as the Corsas but still very very good in the dry & better in the wet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info, yes local can allow hem tires, but i want to get some practice for nationals so thinking of going with the RE17Rs but ill have to get some new rims, they don't really make the right tires for 19s so I'm looking for 18s with the same width

·
Registered
12 Posts
They could have a supplemental rulebook for their region.
Only if they're not an SCCA region (which the OP states SCCA).

Regions are not allowed to not follow the rules except when it comes to creating classes that don't exit, or allowing unclassed cars into the existing structure. Beyond that, we all follow the same rules.

If they allow AS, they can't disallow any cars from being in it regionally run OEM tires under 200TW, because the rules are in writing.

As far as the tire situation and wanting to run nationally, that a complete different ball of wax and one should run as much as they can during the year with the tires they want to run in national events... so they can be ready. :)

--kC

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have autocrossed mine a few times since I bought it. I've learned the camber sucks. Autox eats the edges of the front tires, even running high psi. I don't plan to run national so I don't have the issue you have.

I can only give my opinion on what tire to try as I haven't tried any others on this car. Re71r seems to be a common choice for the events I go to. It's a good tire. Michelin super sports may also be a good option as they meet the requirements. It you will be doing track days, you may want to look into the michilen 4S as that appears to be a good trade off based in what I've read.

It's a shame and a pain the stick tires are 60 treadwear.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
thanks for the info, yes local can allow hem tires, but i want to get some practice for nationals so thinking of going with the RE17Rs but ill have to get some new rims, they don't really make the right tires for 19s so I'm looking for 18s with the same width
will 18's even fit on a QV??? :confused:

·
Registered
691 Posts
will 18's even fit on a QV??? /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
Yes some will....you have to be mindful of the offset due to interference with the QVS larger calipers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts