Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I have had my giulia 2.0 auto petrol super saloon for approx. 8 week now, on Saturday I was waiting at a junction and the engine cut out and an (A) appeared on the dash board = Auto start / stop warning light. This is the first time this has happened in the 8 weeks of ownership. My initial thoughts were that the car was having an "Alfa Moment" :surprise:and I cannot understand why it has just started working now - has anybody else got any ideas as to why its just started working now.

cheers
Paul

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
I may be wrong as I disable the auto start stop as part of my pre fight checks (forza and auto dimming mirrors are the other 2) but I think the green A means auto start stop is currently active and the engine is off

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Could be related to weather. Too hot outside it won’t kick on if you have auto climate control on. I think there is an elevation issue where it won’t operate or the battery could be weakening but since it is new I would say weather. I have started to turn mine off when I get into the car. You do have to go through a start check and a stop check. I also always engage the Emergency brake before I take my foot off the brake. This is especially important if you are use to cutting the engine and letting it default to park. If it is in auto stop mode it can restart. the emergency brake is part of my normal check before I take my foot off the brake.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
273 Posts
Could be related to weather. Too hot outside it won’t kick on if you have auto climate control on. I think there is an elevation issue where it won’t operate or the battery could be weakening but since it is new I would say weather. I have started to turn mine off when I get into the car. You do have to go through a start check and a stop check. I also always engage the Emergency brake before I take my foot off the brake. This is especially important if you are use to cutting the engine and letting it default to park. If it is in auto stop mode it can restart. the emergency brake is part of my normal check before I take my foot off the brake.
Really, if it is in auto on the AC then it won't kick on? I need to try this cause it is HOT in Florida right now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh, it kicks on, AC or auto or not. There's several criteria, I believe fan can't be at MAX (or maximum cooling)

Just disable the hinge. Done. That 'feature' sucks.

rjp

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may be wrong as I disable the auto start stop as part of my pre fight checks (forza and auto dimming mirrors are the other 2) but I think the green A means auto start stop is currently active and the engine is off

The Green Letter "A" only appears when the engine has cut out, release the brake pedal and the engine starts up again. To deactivate the auto start /stop, depress the auto start / stop button next to the master lighting switch whilst the engine is running - you have to do this every time you initially start up the engine as it does not remember the previous settings.

My concern is that after 8 weeks of not doing it its just started doing it by itself with no assistance from me.

Paul

·
Registered
123 Posts
Note that Auto S/S is also heavily dependent on how warmed up the car is, which itself is dependent on ambient temps...so you'll see the behavior change as the yearly seasons affect at which intersections you see it kick in 'first' at...

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Green Letter "A" only appears when the engine has cut out, release the brake pedal and the engine starts up again. To deactivate the auto start /stop, depress the auto start / stop button next to the master lighting switch whilst the engine is running - you have to do this every time you initially start up the engine as it does not remember the previous settings.

My concern is that after 8 weeks of not doing it its just started doing it by itself with no assistance from me.

Paul
Hi Paul, there are a couple of threads regarding the intermittent operation of the Auto Start / Stop. Elevation is a very real issue. If your Auto S/S just started working on it is own, had you changed elevation ?? There are several of us on this forum that live at higher elevations and have never had the Auto Start / Stop work! Then when descending to a lower elevation, it starts working on its own again. For example, I live at 7000 feet and the Auto S/S has NEVER once activated. As soon as I descend to 6000 feet or less, it starts working !

·
Registered
160 Posts
The fact that you got the "A" symbol means that there was a malfunction that disabled the start/stop system, rather than the normal blocking of start/stop due to low battery, temperatures, etc. The most common cause is the hood not firmly latched on both sides. (system is designed to disable start/stop when the hood is open to prevent injuries to a person working under the hood).

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
^^ Depends on the color of A, green means engine is shut down under normal start/stop operation, yellow means unavailable

·
Registered
526 Posts
The fact that you got the "A" symbol means that there was a malfunction that disabled the start/stop system, rather than the normal blocking of start/stop due to low battery, temperatures, etc. The most common cause is the hood not firmly latched on both sides. (system is designed to disable start/stop when the hood is open to prevent injuries to a person working under the hood).
Really, mine always displays the A when the S/S function is operating and the engine is off.

You might want to double check your facts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Paul, there are a couple of threads regarding the intermittent operation of the Auto Start / Stop. Elevation is a very real issue. If your Auto S/S just started working on it is own, had you changed elevation ?? There are several of us on this forum that live at higher elevations and have never had the Auto Start / Stop work! Then when descending to a lower elevation, it starts working on its own again. For example, I live at 7000 feet and the Auto S/S has NEVER once activated. As soon as I descend to 6000 feet or less, it starts working !

Hi Tony

No change in elevation.

Guys

Ive been my local alfa garage today and I asked the question why this has happened - the service department were not very helpful (as aspected) but the sales department advise that if the ambient temperature is high and the air con is on full keeping us cool, the engine does not cut out, the auto start / stop is low on the priority list on the car function, but it does help Alfa when they can reduce emmission / pollution when the car is stationary and the engine has cut out.

Last weekend here in the UK it was a lot cooler than it has been for the previous 8 weeks so they could be correct in what they stated. We are due another heat wave here in the UK next week so I will see what happens next week and report my findings.

Thanks to all of you for your input into this thread.

Paul

·
Registered
422 Posts
Top left of screen, green A is auto stop working.
Amber A, dead center bottom is malfunction.
They are in different locations.

I killed it on my car. I get amber A as I drive. I also get big nasty warning message about S/S being disabled upon startup as well, stays for about 5 seconds- that's it.

So worth it.

rjp

·
Registered
117 Posts
In another thread someone posted a list of variables that go into the stop/start software. It is impressive how much goes into vehicle software these days. I noticed a particular stop light on my commute that is on a bit of a hill and it doesn't seem to activate at that light, just an interesting observation, it sounds like outside temp combined with your interior temp vs temp set point is the most likely reason for you.

All the variables being used for decisions like this in software does make me wonder how much could go wrong years down the road when a sensor fails etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to the handbook - with the system is activated (which is all the time) - No white LED light on the de-activation switch which is next to the master lighting switch, when the engine cut out (auto stop) a green light with the "A" appears in the centre dash display.

When the de-activation switch is pressed a white LED lights up on the de-activation switch and no green coloured "A" appears within the centre dash display - but if a fault occurs within the start / stop system the letter "A" illuminates Yellow

Paul

·
Registered
134 Posts
Guys

I have had my giulia 2.0 auto petrol super saloon for approx. 8 week now, on Saturday I was waiting at a junction and the engine cut out and an (A) appeared on the dash board = Auto start / stop warning light. This is the first time this has happened in the 8 weeks of ownership. My initial thoughts were that the car was having an "Alfa Moment" :surprise:and I cannot understand why it has just started working now - has anybody else got any ideas as to why its just started working now.

cheers
Paul
Have you opened your hood recently? It may sound silly but it is well documented on this forum when your hood is not completely locked down the this warning pops up. You need to close the hood and then gently but firmly push down on the sides where the locking mechanism are located.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys

Quick update regarding Auto - Start / Stop, 26 *C here today in Cheshire UK, air con full on and blowing a gale inside the car, the Start / Stop function did not activate and No it was not isolated.

Paul.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Really, mine always displays the A when the S/S function is operating and the engine is off.

You might want to double check your facts.
The original poster said he had the car for 8 weeks and hadn't seen the "A" before. I assumed it was the amber "A" which is a warning that the system is not operating properly.

Reactions: tadslc

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The original poster said he had the car for 8 weeks and hadn't seen the "A" before. I assumed it was the amber "A" which is a warning that the system is not operating properly.

Thats correct regarding seeing a Green "A" not see for eight weeks and neather was the Amber "A" - when the vehicle is stationary and the engine stops a Green "A" illuminates in the centre display and when the engine restarts the Green "A" disappears. If a fault occurs within the auto stop / start system a Amber "A" appears in the centre dashboard. No Amber "A" was seen - if the aircon is on full (blowing a gale inside the car) the auto start / stop function does not work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts