Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Rear defrost and (I think) heated mirrors started working after charging the battery and/or clicking back a cable connected to IBS. I'm not sure if it wasn't connected well or it just made a clicking noise. Auto start/stop disabled message is still there but I don't mind it as long as I have the others working..

Hello,

I have this problem with my Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce 2017 that persisted since the car lost its warranty. I can't fix the heated mirrors/rear defroster (I don't care about the auto start/stop because I disabled it every time but from what I read on this forum they are all disabled if the battery charge is too low). I took the car to the dealer and they tried the following things: replaced the car battery, replaced the climate control unit and even replaced the main car computer and these problems persisted... I even tried charging the battery using a trickle charger and nothing. Is there a possibility that the battery sensor is malfunctioning, therefore sending an invalid charge level which makes the car disable all these things? Is it worth trying to replace it?

Thank you very much :)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It is very unusual for the IBS to be fauly, however, it does of course happen.
It is easy to read the values the IBS gives though, to check if these are reasonable, via the OBD port.
It's fairly easy to replace, so why not try as a lot of other things, way more expensive, have apparently been replaced ;)

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,661 Posts
Hello,

I have this problem with my Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce 2017 that persisted since the car lost its warranty. I can't fix the heated mirrors/rear defroster (I don't care about the auto start/stop because I disabled it every time but from what I read on this forum they are all disabled if the battery charge is too low). I took the car to the dealer and they tried the following things: replaced the car battery, replaced the climate control unit and even replaced the main car computer and these problems persisted... I even tried charging the battery using a trickle charger and nothing. Is there a possibility that the battery sensor is malfunctioning, therefore sending an invalid charge level which makes the car disable all these things? Is it worth trying to replace it?

Have you verified that the all of the battery terminal connections are clean and tight? Have you tried a good ol track day to wake up your Italian car? Mine runs so much better after being flogged on a track. :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello,

Had the same issue on my 2017 Veloce, the answer was a faulty battery.
You can ask you dealer to test your battery, but replacing it will fix all the issues. But it will enable the stop start function again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is very unusual for the IBS to be fauly, however, it does of course happen.
It is easy to read the values the IBS gives though, to check if these are reasonable, via the OBD port.
It's fairly easy to replace, so why not try as a lot of other things, way more expensive, have apparently been replaced ;)
That's my go-to plan, so before changing the IBS, I'll buy an ELM327 to see if I can check the values from the IBS. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you verified that the all of the battery terminal connections are clean and tight? Have you tried a good ol track day to wake up your Italian car? Mine runs so much better after being flogged on a track. :p
Yup, even verified all the fuse boxes they're in perfect condition... About the track day, almost every time I have the occasion, I'll have a sporty start in Dynamic Mode because I'm in love with how this car feels :) Sadly, I don't have a track available near me, maybe in the future, I'll take a road trip to one. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the same issue on my 2017 Veloce, the answer was a faulty battery.
You can ask you dealer to test your battery, but replacing it will fix all the issues. But it will enable the stop start function again.
Well, the battery was already replaced and the issue persisted sadly... That was my first guess too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a small water leak on the passenger side that got the body control module wet, it was that and a low voltage battery, everything started working again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, the battery was already replaced and the issue persisted sadly... That was my first guess too.
Oh dear, that is confusing!

Let us know if you find a solution though!

Reactions: PaulCvasa

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh dear, that is confusing!

Let us know if you find a solution though!
I've updated the post with the following:

UPDATE: Rear defrost and (I think) heated mirrors started working after charging the battery and/or clicking back a cable connected to IBS. I'm not sure if it wasn't connected well or it just made a clicking noise. Auto start/stop disabled message is still there but I don't mind it as long as I have the others working...

However, it bothers me why I have that start/stop error so I ordered an ELM327 modified for multiecuscan, it will arrive on 15 December, if I'll find something new I'll post here/start a new discussion. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, ELM327 arrived and I got the following code U1210, which is for the Intelligent Alternator Module. I'm not sure but I think that module tells the alternator how much power to give to the battery in order to be recharged. So maybe if that doesn't work, the battery won't ever be sufficiently charged..

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
So, ELM327 arrived and I got the following code U1210, which is for the Intelligent Alternator Module. I'm not sure but I think that module tells the alternator how much power to give to the battery in order to be recharged. So maybe if that doesn't work, the battery won't ever be sufficiently charged..
I'd first reset it, and see if it comes back..... Random communication errors are quite common on the giulia/stelvio .....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd first reset it, and see if it comes back..... Random communication errors are quite common on the giulia/stelvio .....
I'll try that, found some other errors which seem to be like what you said, because they aren't persistent, however, this one says it's active. Also, IBS battery charge status was at 47%, which isn't good, I mounted a trickle charger overnight and I'll check it again soon. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Q4 Montecarlo Blue
12 Posts
I'll try that, found some other errors which seem to be like what you said, because they aren't persistent, however, this one says it's active. Also, IBS battery charge status was at 47%, which isn't good, I mounted a trickle charger overnight and I'll check it again soon. Thanks for the reply!
when you charge it, be sure to charge per the manual. I believe that sensor measures the current going in and out of the battery, so the system won't understand if your battery suddenly has significantly more charge.

FWIW - under warranty, my IBS was replaced twice for the same issues you're having. Now it seems to work great. None of those items will work if state of charge is under 50% is what the dealer told me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when you charge it, be sure to charge per the manual. I believe that sensor measures the current going in and out of the battery, so the system won't understand if your battery suddenly has significantly more charge.

FWIW - under warranty, my IBS was replaced twice for the same issues you're having. Now it seems to work great. None of those items will work if state of charge is under 50% is what the dealer told me.
Yep, when you connect the charger it needs to go through the IBS. I played some more with the multiecuscan, and I found out that the Intelligent alternator error is produced by the Left High beam headlight. Steps I did: clear error codes in body module, all of them disappeared except IAM one but wasn't flagged red, then went to Actuators and activated the High beam (xenon) and the error popped right away, flagging the IAM one to red too.
Rectangle Product Azure Font Material property

Also, just discovered that the high beam on the left side doesn't work and discovered this thread which has both my errors: Intelligent Altenator fault code B165A-68 | Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum (giuliaforums.com) and it seems to be a loose wire in the headlight that's causing all the problems, not the IBS... I'll document the fix when I'll have time for it because I got requested by many people which had this problem (left headlight too). Thanks for the reply!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts